PDA

View Full Version : what not to use on leather interior new car

ron7000
07-24-2018, 07:21 PM
just got a maxima sv, build sticker says 10/2017. Had 100 miles on it.
Has the light color leather interior, cashmere, the seats and most of the door panels.
But the dash, arm rest on door panel, and center console is a dark leather.
I'd like to put something on it now since it is new and pristine.
Not asking for what is best, but rather what should one not use?

I am mainly interested in no reflective glare from the dash leather off front windshield, preferably nothing that leaves a gloss or shiny (slippery) surface.
thanks.

edwelly
07-24-2018, 09:38 PM
I have been using Griots 3-in-1 leather spray with good results thus far on my new car (I have tan, dark gray and black interior).

The Guz
07-25-2018, 01:36 AM
You could always use a leather coating.

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating) (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/109399-review-gyeon-leather-shield-leather-coating.html)

Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/98797-review-carpro-cquartz-leather-coating.html)

Desertnate
07-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Do the leather coatings work on a non-leather surface like a vinyl dash?

My advice would be to to have one periodic regimen for the leather, i.e. deep cleaning an coating/treating with specific, quality leather products and another to do a quick complete interior wipe down with a quality interior protectant that is good for leather and vinyl.

The work done to the leather will keep it healthy while the protectant will keep everying else in good shape and also protect the leather in between the "deep cleaning" sessions.

In regards to reflection and a shiny finish, as long as you stick to quality products and apply them according to the directions you should be fine. I've used products from 303, Vinylex, Meguiars, and McKee's 37 and none of them have ever left a shiny finish. I'm sure there are plenty more available here which will produce similar results.