PDA

View Full Version : McKee's 37 Headlight Coating

Pages : [1] 2

Jaretr1
07-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Hello,

Ive tried several different headlight protectant products. Meguiars, Mckees37, even CarPro Dlux (which is more of a coating). Never been truly satisfied with any of them. Dlux did last maybe a year or so before it started degrading. The protectants seemed useless to be honest, not providing much in protection against UV damage.

I was eager to give Mckees 37 Headlight coating a try.

As would be required, I polished all the oxidation off my headlights (I think I used a compound actually), and then cleaned the surface to rid it of any leftover oils.

The coating was as easy to apply as any of the sealants. Wipe on, spread out and then it dried and basically disappeared. I applied it to my headlights, and also to the glossy plastic trim on my doors.

These photos are about 2 months or so post application. Water is still beading nice off both the headlights and trim.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG5592.jpg

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG5593.jpg

If this protection holds up, and keeps my headlights from oxidating for a while, I will be happy.

This product is very easy to use.

Downside is its on the expensive side. However, I imagine one bottle could do a lot of headlights and trim.

acuRAS82
07-23-2018, 02:27 PM
Keep us updated.

I haven’t used mine yet, trying to use up my Mckees protectant first (every few weeks for the rest of warm weather). I will apply the coating before winter. I’ll be curious as to whether you are still satisfied with this current coat at that time. I’ll reply to this thread if I can remember.

Jaretr1
07-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Keep us updated.

I haven’t used mine yet, trying to use up my Mckees protectant first (every few weeks for the rest of warm weather). I will apply the coating before winter. I’ll be curious as to whether you are still satisfied with this current coat at that time. I’ll reply to this thread if I can remember.

If there is one Mckees product I wasnt impressed with, it was the headlight protectant. It smelled good, but Im not sure it did much to actually protect my headlights.

acuRAS82
07-23-2018, 03:14 PM
I’m not a big fan either given the loose claims on how often to use and zero claims on the durability. I’ll just use it so often that it hopefully works, until the bottle is gone, for no other reason than to not waste it by trashing it.

DaveT435
07-23-2018, 05:13 PM
I a big McKee's fan, but after using Opti-Lens I have no reason to buy anything else. Does great on all headlights...except Toyota. I don't know what the difference is but about a year is all it lasts on Toyotas.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2018, 05:17 PM
I've tried several different headlight protectant products. Meguiars, Mckees37, even CarPro Dlux (which is more of a coating). Never been truly satisfied with any of them. Dlux did last maybe a year or so before it started degrading. The protectants seemed useless to be honest, not providing much in protection against UV damage.

Funny, we had this discussion on the Optimum forum recently about Opti-Lens, that it lasts a year at best. The response was that pros use it and warranty the headlights and no complaints...which of course doesn't mean that it lasts longer than a year, maybe just that customers don't come back and complain if it doesn't.

I was eager to give Mckees 37 Headlight coating a try.

Do you have any expectation that this is going to be better than Opti-Lens or DLux? My argument is simply that these coatings are so thin, relative to clearcoat or the factory-applied UV-cured coating, that they have no chance, particularly when the factory coatings only last about 5 years of 24/7 exposure.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2018, 05:20 PM
I a big McKee's fan, but after using Opti-Lens I have no reason to buy anything else. Does great on all headlights...except Toyota. I don't know what the difference is but about a year is all it lasts on Toyotas.

Ha...I didn't see this until after I posted...I have only used Opti-Lens on Asian cars and it never holds up (this is on lenses where the original factory coating has failed and been sanded off). So you have used it on multiple other makes and had it last indefinitely?

acuRAS82
07-23-2018, 05:43 PM
I am very pleased if a headlight coating lasts a year. I’ll take 6 months or inbetween, also. Re-coating headlights twice a year sounds very reasonable for having like-new looking headlights for the life of a daily driver.

Jaretr1
07-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Do you have any expectation that this is going to be better than Opti-Lens or DLux? My argument is simply that these coatings are so thin, relative to clearcoat or the factory-applied UV-cured coating, that they have no chance, particularly when the factory coatings only last about 5 years of 24/7 exposure.

I have no expectations but it surely is 100% easier to apply than Dlux. I think I got a good year and a half out of dlux, but when it was done, it seemed to oxidize and fail really bad. But at 2 months, its still looking good.

grovlet
07-24-2018, 02:26 PM
I applied McKees last Sept or so (Headlight Kit to polish 1st) - it took a beating during the winter months....

So in winter climates 1 year is a no-go - but even now - the lights are still far better than with nothing - but clearly in need of refresh.

My new plan is once prior to winter and again in spring.

Setec Astronomy
07-24-2018, 02:30 PM
My new plan is once prior to winter and again in spring.

Is that even better than nothing, or the LSP you're doing the rest of the car with?

acuRAS82
07-24-2018, 02:52 PM
grovlet, are you talking about Mckees Headlight coating or Headlight Protectant?

grovlet
07-24-2018, 05:34 PM
grovlet, are you talking about Mckees Headlight coating or Headlight Protectant?

Good question - I had thought it was the coating - but turns out it was only the "protectant" - so that may explain away some of the results.

Here's a comparison from start to finish over time: (You can see how it was and how it's returning - but not as bad) (as well as how they came out on Driver Side)
Under Way (Last Year)
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60509&d=1508021608

Now - Passenger Side (Today)
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64395&d=1532471226

acuRAS82
07-24-2018, 08:16 PM
I never got an answer on how long the Protectant lasts, but I’m assuming 2-4 weeks. Two on the safer side.

GSteg
07-24-2018, 09:44 PM
I gave up on these types of 'protectant'. Opti-lens lasted a year before it was totally yellow. Around the 8 months mark, I could already see some yellowing. This time around, I said the heck with it and sprayed them with automotive clear coat.