PDA

View Full Version : Zap cloth, terrible streaking.

Pages : [1] 2

JDGolden
07-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Like most people, I think doing the interior of the windshield is an absolute pain. So based on some members comments, I purchased a couple of zap cloths.

When I opened the cloth, I noticed in the directions that it may need to be rinsed a couple times before first use. I ran it under hot water, wrung it out, and repeated that process 10 times. I then cleaned the inside of the windshield of my truck. It was an overcast day and it appeared that the windshield was perfectly clear. However, driving to work in the dark this morning proved otherwise. With each street light or on coming car, I could see the nasty streaks this thing left. I've never had streaking this bad before.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to fix it tonight with my old method of 2-3 microfibers and a little invisible glass. I like a clear windshield and my commute drove me nuts.

Bobby B.
07-23-2018, 09:17 AM
I like to wipe down the interior glass first using a clean dry microfiber towel. Once the glass surface has been wiped down I like to spray the glass surface using the Blackfire Glass Cleaner and wipe it clean using a Waffle Weave Glass Towel.
BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Glass Cleaning Kit (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-glass-cleaning-kit.html)

Bobh59
07-23-2018, 09:32 AM
I've never had any luck finding a "one step" for windows so I always view them as a 2 step process - thorough cleaning followed by an "LSP", and the zap cloths have worked great as the final step. It's usually the last thing I do to a vehicle as well to remove any smudges, overspray, etc.

oneheadlite
07-23-2018, 11:46 AM
While for my own cars I have been extremely happy with the Griot's PFM Window towels, I've wanted to have something at work for customer's cars that won't cause a ton of extra laundry for me to bring home.

I do auto repair at an independent shop, not detailing. For customers that have a big bill, I like to try to do a little something so they can feel like they got a little extra value. Usually it's just an underhood wipe down of all the plastics with ONR so it looks a bit freshened up, but I've been wanting to lock into a good system to get really clean windows (again, without having to do loads of microfibers from work), as I feel like it could be something the customer would really notice.

Picked up a Zap cloth based on the reviews, and rinsed it out prior like you did. Tried it on one of our rentals and it seemed to finish off ok. One thing I noticed was that while cleaning, you could see spots where the glass wasn't perfectly clean (example, you could see a fingerprint like spot) when it was damp from the water, but it would go away when it dried. Pass over with the cloth, the spot was still there.

I quit using it as I didn't want to send cars away thinking the windows were clean, but have the customer was finding streaks in different conditions.

I know it defeats the purpose, but has anyone used a Zap cloth with glass cleaner, or something like N-914?

AZpolisher15
07-23-2018, 12:24 PM
I second the Blackfire Glass Cleaner recommendation.
AWESOME stuff.

UncleDavy
07-23-2018, 04:20 PM
I never had this problem with the Zap Cloth after it has been rinsed and wrung out many times. I usually finish off the Zap Cloth wipe with a waffle weave glass towel while it is still wet.

PaulMys
07-23-2018, 06:19 PM
I never had this problem with the Zap Cloth after it has been rinsed and wrung out many times. I usually finish off the Zap Cloth wipe with a waffle weave glass towel while it is still wet.

I agree. The ZC works very well for me.

It's not a miracle though, I'd never expect it to clean windows that are just filthy.

JDGolden
07-24-2018, 05:31 AM
Well maybe I should give it another shot. My windshield was pretty clean (probably cleaner than 95% of the cars on the road). It just started to get a slight haze on parts of the glass, so I figured I'd try the zap cloth. I fixed the windshield last night with microfiber and invisible glass.

PA DETAILER
07-24-2018, 07:05 AM
I also have had no issues with the Zap cloth. Rinse with warm water and wipe the glass. It has gotten the glass cleaner for me than other methods. When dirty, send thru the washer. DO NOT MACHINE DRY.

Audi Rick
07-24-2018, 09:45 AM
I tried the APC sprayed on to a Mister Clean Magic Eraser followed by some detail spray method. Still left a few streaks. Took a damp zap cloth followed with a dry microfiber and cleaned it right up. Slightly more than a one step!

JDGolden
07-24-2018, 11:08 AM
I figured it was a one step product. I'll just follow up with a microfiber I guess.

oneheadlite
07-24-2018, 11:28 AM
I might try the magic eraser with N914, then chase it with the Zap cloth dampened with water and see how that goes.

+1 for don’t run them through the dryer - they look a lot like a Microfiber I got from Griots ages ago that I think was advertised as the same kind of thing. Accidentally ran one through the dryer with other micros and it ended up all “piled” up. I should dig out that bag and see how a new one compares to the zap cloth.

SWETM
07-24-2018, 02:25 PM
I think if you would use it as an one step cleaning. You would need to be useing destilled water to dampening it. Or as other says finish up drying the window with a mf towel. Since it's damp only do you see it's drying fast after the wipe down with the Zap Cloth?

One I can recommend is Sonax Glass Cleaner. It's a clinging effect that I like to the interior glass. Often I spray a folded in 4 no nap glass mf towel with it. And for the windshield I split it up in 2. Wipe the sprayed towel in a crosshatch pattern and then follow up with a dry no nap glass mf towel to get the little residue of dirt off. It's not that much residue left and the cleaner evaporate off streak free if you got the dirt off. You can use a PFM glass towel or a WW glass towel to do the second wipe off.

Pats300zx
07-24-2018, 02:54 PM
I always follow up the Zap cloth with a second waffle weave glass towel. A two towel method is the only way I have found to not get streaks while doing windows.

Rsurfer
07-24-2018, 07:07 PM
I always follow up the Zap cloth with a second waffle weave glass towel. A two towel method is the only way I have found to not get streaks while doing windows.
I do the same, except that I use a second Zap cloth for the final wipe.