PDA

View Full Version : Some claim an extractor is not needed for interior detailing....

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
07-23-2018, 06:57 AM
I completely disagree. Even if it's a bissell machine, it still helps a lot. I have a steamer which I feel is important too. It lifts and loosens stains, where as the extractor sucks them up and removes them. I've had the steamer longer than an extractor, but I will say the extractor brought carpet/upholstery cleaning to a whole new level.

Eldorado2k
07-23-2018, 07:11 AM
I’ve seriously been considering 1 lately, but I’m not trying to spend 1-2k on a machine. I’ve seen Detailgroove spotlight a more budget friendly extractor in his recent vids and I’m thinking about maybe pulling the trigger. Maybe...

TTQ B4U
07-23-2018, 08:00 AM
I completely disagree. Even if it's a bissell machine, it still helps a lot. I have a steamer which I feel is important too. It lifts and loosens stains, where as the extractor sucks them up and removes them. I've had the steamer longer than an extractor, but I will say the extractor brought carpet/upholstery cleaning to a whole new level.

I agree. I don't do many interiors but the small extractor I have is priceless. Steamers are great and help emulsify the gunk but doing that and rubbing it with a dry cloth isn't the same as then hitting it with an extractor.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-23-2018, 08:20 AM
I’ve seriously been considering 1 lately, but I’m not trying to spend 1-2k on a machine. I’ve seen Detailgroove spotlight a more budget friendly extractor in his recent vids and I’m thinking about maybe pulling the trigger. Maybe...
Just saw that on youtube. Looks like a great budget extractor!

I agree. I don't do many interiors but the small extractor I have is priceless. Steamers are great and help emulsify the gunk but doing that and rubbing it with a dry cloth isn't the same as then hitting it with an extractor.
Exactly. An expensive extractor is not needed to see great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Paul A.
07-23-2018, 11:22 AM
The pressure motor on my Mytee is inoperative however I do use the suction side as a wet vac. I clean carpet and upholstery using more conventional means and use the suction hose to wet "extract". If that dies I will replace it with a less expensive wet/dry vac and continue my current method.

Basically, I'm saying an extractor isn't neccessary to get similar results with conventional methods but it was somewhat easier and faster. Given my experience with the extractor I bought for about $800 I've found I don't really need to replace it.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2018, 11:43 AM
The pressure motor on my Mytee is inoperative however I do use the suction side as a wet vac.

Given my experience with the extractor I bought for about $800 I've found I don't really need to replace it.

Ah, another Mytee reliability endorsement.

Paul A.
07-23-2018, 11:45 AM
^yup!

Eldorado2k
07-23-2018, 11:49 AM
How much better can the suction on an extractor be? I find that when I try to ‘extract’ with my 6.5HP Ridgid vac the results are underwhelming. I still have to mop up a ton with the towels.

Dr Oldz
07-23-2018, 01:01 PM
I have a Mytee for about 12 years. Never had an issue. I always run clean water thru it when I’m done tho.

Anyway, some sort of extractor is a must in my eyes. I can do a complete turn around on interiors with it. Fact is we may be macho talking about out 3 step jewelling paint correction job but the fact is most people want a shiny car with a new looking interior and an extractor helps with that.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2018, 01:54 PM
How much better can the suction on an extractor be? I find that when I try to ‘extract’ with my 6.5HP Ridgid vac the results are underwhelming. I still have to mop up a ton with the towels.

Maybe someone has a good answer for that...I just compared the specs between the 16 gal/6.5 HP Ridgid vs. the Mytee Lite III, and the Ridgid doesn't show water lift, but the CFM is about twice the Mytee...so going by CFM yours should "out suck" the Mytee, but I'm guessing water lift is another story.

I have a Mytee for about 12 years. Never had an issue. I always run clean water thru it when I’m done tho.

Do you use detergent solution in it? A lot of people seem to just use water in theirs anyway, so running clean water through doesn't seem like it would make any difference. (I presume you are talking about the solution portion, not the recovery portion).

In my prior analysis of this subject, it seemed like people had better luck with the more expensive Mytees, and also the people who used them more occasionally rather than every day also seemed to make out better. I'd also venture to say that the insides of a 12-yo Mytee are perhaps a lot different than what they make now.

Eldorado2k
07-23-2018, 02:23 PM
Maybe someone has a good answer for that...I just compared the specs between the 16 gal/6.5 HP Ridgid vs. the Mytee Lite III, and the Ridgid doesn't show water lift, but the CFM is about twice the Mytee...so going by CFM yours should "out suck" the Mytee, but I'm guessing water lift is another story.

The water lift on the Ridgid is 50in.
CFM is 168.

Dr Oldz
07-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Do you use detergent solution in it? A lot of people seem to just use water in theirs anyway, so running clean water through doesn't seem like it would make any difference. (I presume you are talking about the solution portion, not the recovery portion).

In my prior analysis of this subject, it seemed like people had better luck with the more expensive Mytees, and also the people who used them more occasionally rather than every day also seemed to make out better. I'd also venture to say that the insides of a 12-yo Mytee are perhaps a lot different than what they make now.

I should have specified. My apologies. Yes I always use an extractor zero foaming solution formula. Mine gets used about 4 times a week. It was a better model but I don’t think the best one. I can get the info if you want. Most times it’s just a spot clean around the drivers area where road salt and general grime build up but I do use it to do a whole interior also. When the gentleman sold me mine he told me to flush every time and it will last a lifetime.
As far as the older ones go...... maybe they don’t make them like they used to. :dunno:

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2018, 02:31 PM
The water lift on the Ridgid is 50in.
CFM is 168.

The water lift on the current Mytee Lite, according to their website, is 130", and the CFM is 100.

So if we rely on those numbers, it does indeed seem the extractor would do better getting your carpets dry.

Eldorado2k
07-23-2018, 02:34 PM
The water lift on the current Mytee Lite, according to their website, is 130", and the CFM is 100.

So if we rely on those numbers, it does indeed seem the extractor would do better getting your carpets dry.

Whoa that is a big difference. Thanks for the info.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2018, 02:39 PM
I should have specified. My apologies. Yes I always use an extractor zero foaming solution formula. Mine gets used about 4 times a week. It was a better model but I don’t think the best one. I can get the info if you want. Most times it’s just a spot clean around the drivers area where road salt and general grime build up but I do use it to do a whole interior also. When the gentleman sold me mine he told me to flush every time and it will last a lifetime.
As far as the older ones go...... maybe they don’t make them like they used to. :dunno:

Yeah, it's kind of they typical internet thing, half of Mytee customers say they are terrible, half say they never have a problem. So I have studied it, because I always wanted to buy one, but I've been afeared of the Mytees because of the stories, and too cheap to buy a more expensive one. So here I sit without an extractor (unless you count my mostly dead LGCM and the Hoover consumer floor machine I have that has a hose attachment). The other thing I didn't like about the Mytee is you need a 20 amp outlet, the other one (Sensei) that I looked at had 2 cords, one for the heater and one for the vac, so you only needed 15A circuits...of course you need 2 of them. Not sure which way is better except I don't have any 20A outlets right now where I would use the extractor...of course I don't have 2 separate 15A circuits, either.