PDA

View Full Version : Help with bumper on Jeep Wrangler

waterman
07-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Hello,

The front and back bumpers on my friends Jeep Wrangler are totally oxidized. I tried mothers heavy duty cleaner and it barely made a difference. Is there anything to help this or can it be repainted? I can’t upload the picture.

Thank you

Chopper280
07-19-2018, 02:22 PM
I am assuming they are the black plastic like material. My Jeep use to have these.
After a good scrubbing with an APC all of the below worked for me.
Solution Finish
CarPro Dlux
Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS)
I changed to metal bumpers and use something different now.

Bradposton
07-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Had decent luck last week on a Jeep with a good cleaning and using 303 Aerospace on it

Calendyr
07-19-2018, 03:29 PM
I did a Wrangler last week, the bumpers were painted metal. So if this is the case, a polishing will remove the oxidation and bring the gloss back. If it is plastic, then using a degreaser to clean it then applying a dressing will bring them back,

KirkH
07-19-2018, 04:13 PM
I own a Jeep Wrangler Sport 2010 and i am a pro detailer so as you can imagine, I have tried everything. The heavier, greasier trim restorer that you use, the better. I have one product that is not sold on here that works better than others, but none are going to last too long. You can probably search this topic or posts by me and find the name of that product. Not supposed to talk products not sold here.

The best option is to paint them. There is black trim paint in rattle cans that will make it look new again.

PaulMys
07-19-2018, 05:25 PM
My wife has a Wrangler. What a PITA with all that plastic trim.

When I finally scrubbed it all clean, McKee's Trim Restore keeps it looking nice. Problem is, it takes a LOT of product. I'd go broke using WETS on it. Lol

McKee's is a much better price point for a great product, IMO.

WEST SIDE
07-21-2018, 12:43 AM
I have an 2002 jeep wrangler sport and I suggest going to the jeep forum,lots of good info

TTQ B4U
07-21-2018, 05:18 AM
Metal or Plastic? If it's the plastic style Solution Finish should take to it nicely and be able to re-stain it. After a few weeks once it's done, seal it up with Gyeon's Q2 Trim coating system. It will darken them up nicely and they will stay that way too.

If it's metal, I would simply use AutoDip and re-spray them.

joecollectin
07-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Heat gun - just run it over the plastic and it will turn back to new-looking.

DBAILEY
07-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Solution Finish then something like M37 Trim Restorer, WETS, UTTG.

I have done about 2 dozen or so jobs where I topped the Solution Finish with DLUX or C4 . However, when that starts to wear off and starts to look like it needs Solutions Finish again you will have a hard time getting the Solutions Finish to absorb uniformly. You can't tell if the DLUX or C4 is all gone and there's no good way to remove it. The plastic is porous, so most likely its still there. Your only choice is to allow time to take its toll on the trim coating.

Bobby B.
07-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Solution Finish works great on faded plastic bumpers and trim.

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer (https://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html)

Farmallluvr
07-24-2018, 07:57 PM
if it's the metal bumpers I use a black foam pad and a rotary and hit em with a polish and then Car Brite Weather Shield,,they seem to stay for quite awhile that way
Plastic it's a clean well and dress kinda thing