PDA

View Full Version : 2 Rupes in 3 years.

Pages : [1] 2 3

HateSwirls
07-18-2018, 08:45 PM
As some of you may know I love Rupes but think I'll have to go separate ways with them.

First one. Motor went out
Second one. Vibrated so bad it destroyed the backing plate.

Tried installing a new backing plate, can't tighten the screw, the center that holds the screw just spins even if I hold the plate in place.

Here's the things though, I love how the handle for me.

Yes we do a lot of work in my shop, we have other DA's so it's not like one unit is used.

Back to my FLEX3401 full time until I decide which one to go with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PaulMys
07-18-2018, 08:54 PM
That's unfortunate.

Like having a Ferrari with a defective engine, and no warranty.

Kind of useless. IMO

HateSwirls
07-18-2018, 09:03 PM
That's unfortunate.

Like having a Ferrari with a defective engine, and no warranty.

Kind of useless. IMOCan't kill my Flex but I can't use that darn thing every day. Ha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Justin at Final Inspection
07-18-2018, 09:07 PM
I think at this point it's luck of the draw. My BOSS G21 went out after 2+ years of abuse. My Rupes Ibrid went out 2 times in 6mo and that barely got used. Griots is sending me a new G21.

I purchased a new Rupes Mark ll 21mm and so far it's been great. But for all I know it too could fail.

PaulMys
07-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Can't kill my Flex but I can't use that darn thing every day. Ha

The Flex is a beast for sure.

Never owned one myself, but have used them (Rotary, and most recently the forced at my new job).

Great machines. Like going to the gym for some.....

HateSwirls
07-18-2018, 09:17 PM
I think at this point it's luck of the draw. My BOSS G21 went out after 2+ years of abuse. My Rupes Ibrid went out 2 times in 6mo and that barely got used. Griots is sending me a new G21.

I purchased a new Rupes Mark ll 21mm and so far it's been great. But for all I know it too could fail.Let's hope it doesnt for you.

Both went out on me during summer months.

Heat factor!

PaulMys
07-18-2018, 09:21 PM

I purchased a new Rupes Mark ll 21mm and so far it's been great. But for all I know it too could fail.

Nice that Griot's is sending you a new unit.

World-class Customer service. I've dealt with their CS many times. Just an awesome experience. Quick responses, and friendly care. Even with a few complaints.

DaveT435
07-18-2018, 09:40 PM
I like my G21. Hard to beat a free repair or replacement lifetime warranty. I just bought a 21 Mark II. I'll run them both and see which I like better. I plan on keeping both of these machines long term. It will be interesting to see how they compare first hand.

B5visser
07-18-2018, 09:46 PM
I'm sure you guys know this, but Rupes offers $85 flat rate repairs the covers shipping both ways on their tools.

I sent my 21mk2 in last week after it just died in the middle of a job. They ended up replacing the power cord, entire eccentric assy, another bearing, new brushes, and a few other small misc. items. Well over $85 of parts alone!

I hoping to have it back early next week. Until then, I'll use my backup 21mk2 and Flex XFE7 (which I still LOVE btw).

Rsurfer
07-18-2018, 10:19 PM
I'm sure you guys know this, but Rupes offers $85 flat rate repairs the covers shipping both ways on their tools.

I sent my 21mk2 in last week after it just died in the middle of a job. They ended up replacing the power cord, entire eccentric assy, another bearing, new brushes, and a few other small misc. items. Well over $85 of parts alone!

I hoping to have it back early next week. Until then, I'll use my backup 21mk2 and Flex XFE7 (which I still LOVE btw).

Is this during or after the warranty period?

HateSwirls
07-19-2018, 06:47 AM

I hoping to have it back early next week. Until then, I'll use my backup 21mk2 and Flex XFE7 (which I still LOVE btw).Thanks for the info.

It seems a lot of us are having issues with the Rupes.

DaveT435
07-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Is this during or after the warranty period?

It is good after the warranty expires. They replace a lot I'd parts, including any cracked plastic housing pieces. There is one part they won't replace under this program. The main brain I guess.

Calendyr
07-19-2018, 03:37 PM
So what are you planing to do?

I decided to go with a Boss 15mm to replace my Rupe Bigfoot 21es (mark 1). I think it was a great machine but having to send it to the USA to get it fixed is just ridiculous. Not counting the fact i will have to pay shipping both ways (about 70$ total) and be without a machine for about a month, the 1 year warranty is a joke compared to Griot's lifetime warranty. So for me it was an easy choice.

I also ordered at Torx polisher as a backup. I don't know how good (or bad) they are. I wanted a Hyet machine but none of the resellers will ship to Canada :(

So in your case, if I remember correctly you had to get surgery a few years back because of the vibration of the polishers, what are you planning to do? Rupes machines are butter smooth. I don't know if any other polisher on the market are similar. I know Yvan Lacroix recommends a machine that is supposed to be even smoother than the Rupes but I cannot recall the name or brand.

Hyet makes a clone of the Rupes, and so does Adams. Again, not sure they are as smooth.

HateSwirls
07-19-2018, 05:40 PM
So what are you planing to do?

I decided to go with a Boss 15mm to replace my Rupe Bigfoot 21es (mark 1). I think it was a great machine but having to send it to the USA to get it fixed is just ridiculous. Not counting the fact i will have to pay shipping both ways (about 70$ total) and be without a machine for about a month, the 1 year warranty is a joke compared to Griot's lifetime warranty. So for me it was an easy choice.

I also ordered at Torx polisher as a backup. I don't know how good (or bad) they are. I wanted a Hyet machine but none of the resellers will ship to Canada :(

So in your case, if I remember correctly you had to get surgery a few years back because of the vibration of the polishers, what are you planning to do? Rupes machines are butter smooth. I don't know if any other polisher on the market are similar. I know Yvan Lacroix recommends a machine that is supposed to be even smoother than the Rupes but I cannot recall the name or brand.

Hyet makes a clone of the Rupes, and so does Adams. Again, not sure they are as smooth.I'm going with the G15.

You're right, the Rupes is smooth but just unreliable for me.

Rupes either has to build it better or bring the price down.
Even my PC outlast the Rupes and it's one of the oldest on the fleet

I've read good things of the G15 and can't beat their warranty.

My Flex3401

I've used it to buff out buses, campers, large RV'S, cargo trailers and more and still like the day I bought it, before Rupes purchase.

IMO the Rupes is good for those who may use it a few times each year but not made well enough for my busy shop.

HateSwirls
07-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Is this during or after the warranty period?After the warranty expired on both of them unfortunately.