PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get the wool pads to not shed fibers?

JCDetails
07-18-2018, 12:11 PM
I bought a bunch of the Rupes wool pads recently and decided to try them out on a black GTR I was working on. Being brand new pads I expected them to shed a bit, so I spun them up and brushed them lightly to get some stuff out of them.

Once I primed it as I would a Microfiber, and started polishing (test spot using the 3" medium wool pad on my LHR75e) I was amazed by a couple of things:

1.) How much the medium wool pad made Jescar compound dust, which is something I really hadn't experienced with the compound before.

2.) The absolute relentless shedding

I haven't tried the 5.5" medium or either size Coarse wool yet, but I'm wondering if there's something I should do to 'break in' the pads to minimize this i.e. run them through my LC System 3000D pad washer or something like that.

Mike Phillips
07-18-2018, 02:51 PM
For what it's worth....

I've found most product will tend to dust more with microfiber pads versus foam pads.

I would vote "yes" for washing with a pad washer before using to remove any stray or loose fibers. At least this is what I do (or try to do), for traditional wool buffing pads when using a rotary buffer.

:)

Dr Oldz
07-18-2018, 04:51 PM
I spur them, then brush them(yes with an old hair brush), spur again then wash. I always spur b4 use also to make sure nothing got in it.