PDA

View Full Version : How many of you detail inside the fuel door?⛽️

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eldorado2k
07-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Here’s something I almost never see mentioned as part of a Show & Shine.. The gas cap, fuel door, you know what I’m talking about.. How come nobody ever mentions it at all? How many of you overlook that area? How many of you totally geek out on it and take it to the next level? I’m sure you’re either 1 or the other..

Personally, I like it when I open a customers fuel door and discover a grimy mess. I figure they’ll be sure to notice the difference the next time they fill up and remember me.[emoji57]

I’ve also had several times when I can’t even figure out how to open the darn fuel door on some vehicles. It’s crazy how complicated they can make some things. Lol.

What’s your guys’ take on this rare mentioned part of the vehicle?

LEDetailing
07-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Degrease it, dry it off, D156 or QD and done.

Paul A.
07-18-2018, 08:46 AM
I ALWAYS include a thorough fuel door cleaning on every job. Even simple maint washes. Takes very little time and I have a specific brush to do it.

Dr Oldz
07-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Always SOP.

Kevin845
07-18-2018, 08:57 AM
That is part of a normal was or detail IMO.

mk9750
07-18-2018, 09:03 AM
When I decided I wanted to begin doing cars for money, I asked family and friends if I could detail their cars for free in exchange for getting the practice, taking pictures, and hopefully getting some word of mouth recommendations. The first car I did was my daughter in law's, who had someone detail a previous car once, and told me up front she was a tough critic when it comes to how her car was detailed. My son told me that it was unlikely I would satisfy her completely, but it would be a good experience to see what a demanding customer might expect.

Knowing her level of expectation, but not knowing any specifics of those expectations, I endeavored to make sure I met or exceeded them. As I inspected the car from head to toe before I called them to announce it was done, I noticed the fuel fill door, and thought "There's something I didn't even consider doing", and opened it up. It was filthy! I cleaned it up nice and shiny, and when they arrived to inspect, it was the FIRST thing she checked! Turns out that was the biggest disappointment she had with the guy who detailed her car before - He neglected inside the fuel fill door. So now, no matter the level of service I complete, it includes opening and cleaning inside that door.

I've told people at least a dozen times now that giving away that free detail earned me way more than it cost me. It created an attitude in me to do the best I can to do it right. So far, it has served me well. It's still early in my detailing "career", but I'll forever be grateful that I learned that lesson early.

So what did she tell me I missed? I neglected to clean the rear view mirror. That was her only issue. But her mirror was the last mirror I've missed.

Eldorado2k
07-18-2018, 09:17 AM
I knew this would produce some good posts.[emoji57]lol.

mk9750
07-18-2018, 09:33 AM
BTW, I have been flip flopping as to whether I show this off when the customer inspects my work. Sometimes I've opened this door to show that it was done, sometimes I say nothing, hoping the customer will recognize it when they fill up. So far, I get more satisfaction from telling the customers I did it. No one has contacted me later to say they noticed. but I have to think at least a few have?

But in the end, I think my ego will win out. I'll probably show this to customers regularly in the future.

Calendyr
07-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Unless I can't figure out how to open the thing, I will clean it as part of all my exterior detailing packages.

Don't know if the client even notices it, but I think it's an area that can be improved by a lot since they are usally very dirty.

Coleroad
07-18-2018, 10:09 AM
I always detail mine. That's like not opening up the hood, trunk, or doors and detailing them.

mc2hill
07-18-2018, 10:11 AM
It is something I do as I clean the wheels. Hit it with some diluted APC and a 'Swisswax' type lugnut brush. They make some of the most dramatic before & after pictures!

Eldorado2k
07-18-2018, 10:32 AM
It is something I do as I clean the wheels. Hit it with some diluted APC and a 'Swisswax' type lugnut brush. They make some of the most dramatic before & after pictures!

Do you still have some of those pics?

JustJesus
07-18-2018, 10:39 AM
It was actually something I was going to post a picture on for a future Show & Shine. My Jeep has a pretty cruddy fuel door. Well, the whole Jeep is cruddy!

But yeah, once I get around to a proper detail on that thing, I will include the fuel door

PA DETAILER
07-18-2018, 11:03 AM
We are really splitting hairs. GUILTY. I spray it down with some APC, then a spray wax. LOL

JDGolden
07-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Door gets popped open before the wash.