PDA

View Full Version : How much UV protection is enough for dashboard?

Pages : [1] 2

blagunas6
07-12-2018, 08:50 AM
So Megs Hyper Dressing has some UV protection as I've read. My question is, if i apply it on my dashboard at 4:1 would it have enough UV protection to protect it? Bigger question is how much UV is enough to protect the dashboard? How about applying leather conditioner on the dash?

Eldorado2k
07-12-2018, 09:38 AM
From what I understand nearly every modern day vehicle comes with a built in UV film layered inside the windshield glass. They’ve also stepped their game up as far as the materials they use to make dashboards in order to not have the reputation the vehicles from the 1970’s will always by be remembered for.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Your dashboard is likely to outlast the cars motor.[emoji4]

blagunas6
07-12-2018, 10:03 AM
From what I understand nearly every modern day vehicle comes with a built in UV film layered inside the windshield glass. They’ve also stepped their game up as far as the materials they use to make dashboards in order to not have the reputation the vehicles from the 1970’s will always by be remembered for.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Your dashboard is likely to outlast the cars motor.[emoji4]

Thank you!

Hammer77
07-12-2018, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't rely on Hyper Dressing for protection. Check out 303 Automotive Protectant (https://www.autogeek.net/303-automotive-protectant.html). Really nice stuff!

Desertnate
07-12-2018, 12:11 PM
I think it would be more important to regularly maintain the interior with good, quality interior protectant product. Using a sun shade will also do wonders to protect your dash, not to mention keep the interior cooler.

MarkD51
07-12-2018, 12:51 PM
I think it would be more important to regularly maintain the interior with good, quality interior protectant product. Using a sun shade will also do wonders to protect your dash, not to mention keep the interior cooler.

I agree here with the sun shade as an aid to protecting, and reducing some heat whacking the dashboard-steering wheel. In the southern, and southwestern states the sun creates interior heat which is unbelievable. Definitely fry an egg or bake cookies. Takes 10-15 seconds to install when parking.

I'd often buy the huge oversized cheapos like at wally world, then custom cut them to fit for total blocking coverage of the windshield.

I know some may be against tinting a Windshield with tint films, but I have seen some of these recent new "ceramic" type films which are virtually clear which won't hinder night driving much if at all, but yet still considerably further reduce UV pass though.

blagunas6
07-12-2018, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't rely on Hyper Dressing for protection. Check out 303 Automotive Protectant (https://www.autogeek.net/303-automotive-protectant.html). Really nice stuff!

Have heard lots of good things about 303 definitely will look into that

blagunas6
07-12-2018, 03:15 PM
I agree here with the sun shade as an aid to protecting, and reducing some heat whacking the dashboard-steering wheel. In the southern, and southwestern states the sun creates interior heat which is unbelievable. Definitely fry an egg or bake cookies. Takes 10-15 seconds to install when parking.

I'd often buy the huge oversized cheapos like at wally world, then custom cut them to fit for total blocking coverage of the windshield.

I know some may be against tinting a Windshield with tint films, but I have seen some of these recent new "ceramic" type films which are virtually clear which won't hinder night driving much if at all, but yet still considerably further reduce UV pass though.

I got a decent looking steering wheel cover so far which should help the steering wheel from fading ..Thought of tinting my windshield possibly going 45% but already got a sun strip on it ...shouldve just gotten it tinted huh?

blagunas6
07-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Seen those but never really researched them..just know they range from the low side to the high side in pricing..what makes them differ in pricing?

Desertnate
07-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Seen those but never really researched them..just know they range from the low side to the high side in pricing..what makes them differ in pricing?

The sunshades?

Quality of materials and fit seem to drive the price. The ones found at autoparts stores and places like Walmart are pretty inexpensive but tend to come in general sizes which may/may not fit your windshield very well. The material quality isn't the greatest either. I've made it through one or two summers with them before they start to fall apart. The ones with a shiny silver foil-like exterior tend to reflect the most heat and provide the greatest benifits.

The next tier up seem to be the OEM manufacturers which you can buy from a dealership parts department and the lower priced ones from companies like Covercraft and CoverKing. I beleive my OEM VW sunshade was actually made for VW by CoverKing. These tend to be better made, provide a layer of insulation, and are fitted to your vehicle. The one I purchased from VW is my first "mid-tier" shade and I'm really really happy with it. My car is much cooler in the Summer.

The "top tier", as I see it, are made by Covercraft and a couple other companies. They are pretty heavy duty and have significant insulation along with being custom fit. The one I actually saw in person looked like it could be used as a blast shield for a nuclear weapons test. I don't doubt it does a great job, but I don't live in Nevada or Arizona, so it is much more protecion than I would ever need and cost more than I was willing to spend.

PaulMys
07-12-2018, 05:18 PM

^^^ What Dave said^^^

dudley07726
07-12-2018, 05:44 PM
The sunshades?

Quality of materials and fit seem to drive the price. The ones found at autoparts stores and places like Walmart are pretty inexpensive but tend to come in general sizes which may/may not fit your windshield very well. The material quality isn't the greatest either. I've made it through one or two summers with them before they start to fall apart. The ones with a shiny silver foil-like exterior tend to reflect the most heat and provide the greatest benifits.

The next tier up seem to be the OEM manufacturers which you can buy from a dealership parts department and the lower priced ones from companies like Covercraft and CoverKing. I beleive my OEM VW sunshade was actually made for VW by CoverKing. These tend to be better made, provide a layer of insulation, and are fitted to your vehicle. The one I purchased from VW is my first "mid-tier" shade and I'm really really happy with it. My car is much cooler in the Summer.

The "top tier", as I see it, are made by Covercraft and a couple other companies. They are pretty heavy duty and have significant insulation along with being custom fit. The one I actually saw in person looked like it could be used as a blast shield for a nuclear weapons test. I don't doubt it does a great job, but I don't live in Nevada or Arizona, so it is much more protecion than I would ever need and cost more than I was willing to spend.

Never heard of CoverKing. Looked it up after reading your post. No way is that roll up sunshield anywhere near the quality of my Covercraft.

FUNX650
07-12-2018, 06:10 PM
IMO:
Anytime you feel that the amount of UV pro-
tection that vehicles’ windshields provide to
the dashes needs to be increased, then:
Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer could
quickly become one of your favorite interior
detailing products.

It not only has UV-protection qualities, but
also leaves an OEM/natural-looking finish.

Bob

Oats
07-12-2018, 07:59 PM
I used Poorboys natural look on my previous car. I'm about out and going to order some 303 to try.

I've done a little research on windshield tint and plan to call around and get estimates. They have virtually clear tint that blocks 99% of UV and 40-45% of heat and reduces glare. Only complaints I have seen is a few people said they see halos around lights at night and slight rainbow effect if you have heavily polarized sunglasses. It should be in the $150 range. I might cheap out and just get a sunshade though.

I'm replacing a cracked passenger airbag cover on my RX-8 and don't want to have to do it again. (Was cracked when I bought it) It is very common and expensive to replace so I'm hoping I can make it last.

BillE
07-13-2018, 06:47 AM
IMO:
Anytime you feel that the amount of UV pro-
tection that vehicles’ windshields provide to
the dashes needs to be increased, then:
Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer could
quickly become one of your favorite interior
detailing products.

It not only has UV-protection qualities, but
also leaves an OEM/natural-looking finish.

Bob

TOTALLY AGREE! (yes, I'm yelling-lol)

Bill