PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire SiO2 vs Coating Booster

Pages : [1] 2

MarkD51
07-12-2018, 05:56 AM
I've ordered both these products, they should be arriving today in fact.

Has anyone used either or both these products to comment about the likes, and differences noted between them?

Mainly interested in their ease of application, and longevity?
Thanks.

PA DETAILER
07-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Interested in the COATING BOOSTER. No talk of it yet.

Chopper280
07-12-2018, 07:25 AM
I used the SIO2 Tuesday and found out quickly to use it sparingly. If you don’t it is grabby wiping off and will actually leave fuzz stuck on the paint. Used sparingly it wipes off easy and leaves a great shine.
I have used the Booster once several months ago and it reminded me of a QD.
Much prefer the SIO2!
As far as longevity I am no help. I can’t leave things along to find out.

Desertnate
07-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Looking forward to hearing comments as well. I recieved a sample bottle of Coating Booster in my latest purchase from AG, but haven't had an opportunity to try it out.

I wonder if there is really much difference between the two chemically. The mission of the two products is different, but I see a coating infused spray wax to essentially be a coating booster anyway.

acuRAS82
07-12-2018, 07:29 AM
I also have each on the way. Mike Phillips mentioned in his review of SiO2 Spray how thick it was and how it felt like much more than a booster. Perhaps the SiO2 content in each is the main difference.

DaveT435
07-12-2018, 08:30 AM
I used the SIO2 Tuesday and found out quickly to use it sparingly. If you don’t it is grabby wiping off and will actually leave fuzz stuck on the paint. Used sparingly it wipes off easy and leaves a great shine.
I have used the Booster once several months ago and it reminded me of a QD.
Much prefer the SIO2!
As far as longevity I am no help. I can’t leave things along to find out.

I use a particular brand of QD watered down 1:1 with distilled water which leaves a layer Si02. I dilute it to avoid streaking. I coated the cab on my wife's truck and didn't coat the bed. After a couple washes the bed has the same characteristics as the cab. I'm sure it wouldn't last as long, but it would probably also adheres better to Si02 than it does to bare paint.

Point being, just because it applies like a QD doesn't mean it's not an effective booster. The one I use is actually labeled as a QD. If I didn't dilute it and used care when applying I would expect to see a pretty durable layer of Si02 on the vehicle.

MarkD51
07-12-2018, 11:04 AM
As soon as I get to use both of them, I'll again try and comment some which I hope might help others.

Doubtful I'll go to the extent of serious controlled lab testing to count days on how such products last. I'm not of course expecting a Coating, or Collinte #476 longevity.

So far, I've liked everything I've tried from the Blackfire Line, and other PBMG house products, all are keepers IMO.

glfnaz
07-13-2018, 10:36 AM
I have the BF SIO2 spray. I am surprised it hasn't gotten more love here. For boosting a coating I've used Cure, Reload, and Quartz Max. I have no need for those anymore. BF SIO2 is so simple. Spray about 3 places on 1/2 the hood, wipe it back / forth & up / down, and it just disappears into the paint. I've tried to streak it, but can't. Great on glass. Beads are small and tight. Not as small and tight as Kamikaze Overcoat. but still very good. I think of it as a SIO2 QD but I'd never use it on a dusty car like a QD. It's my after wash finishing product now. Takes 10 minutes to apply to a sedan. How long does it last? I have no idea. Disclaimer: I'm not a pro, just a weekend detailer of 5 family cars.

acuRAS82
07-13-2018, 12:31 PM
glfnaz, awesome info. Thanks for sharing!

acuRAS82
07-13-2018, 12:35 PM
I’m hoping Blackfire or McKee’s will come out with a dedicated WW/QD similar to Ech2O, where a few ounces of Blackfire SiO2 could be added with distilled water to make a PBMG merlin elixir (pleeeaase).

Audi Rick
07-13-2018, 01:22 PM
I've been using BF SIO2 since the beginning of May. Unlike Reload never had an issue with streaking. Just like others can't get it to streak. Spray the microfiber then a spray or two on the panel and wipe away. Flip the microfiber and go over again. Longest I've had it on is about a month and paint still feels slick. So easy to put on that's about how long I can go before I get the urge to reapply. Currently have it on wife's and daughters suvs with no coating underneath. This is one of my favorites so far.

DetailZeus
07-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Anyone applying this while the car is still wet? I know it's been suggested that Mckee's 10 min can be applied this way.

glfnaz
07-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Anyone applying this while the car is still wet? I know it's been suggested that Mckee's 10 min can be applied this way.

We got some rain here this week, so I'll be washing a few cars this weekend. I'll try it as a drying aid and post about it.

acuRAS82
07-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Got my chance to use the Blackfire Coating Booster on 5-month-old coated windows. Easy to use, wipe on, wipe off. As others have noted, it has a QD type feel. Not very thick.

It should rain here Monday and Tuesday, so I’ll see if there is any improvement. Windows were still beading good at last rainfall, but maybe slightly reduced from when the coating was applied in February. Either way I’m not sure if there is room for much improvement anyways.

MarkD51
07-14-2018, 11:30 AM
I used the Blackfire Coating Booster on my White Tahoe earlier. While there's many good things to say, there was a notable difficulty using the product, and fear the product may be defective in some way.

I began on the roof. Not getting even 1/4th of the way through applying, the sprayer head quit with maybe 1/2 dozen sprays. Hell. So back in the house, and grab the other Blackfire Sprayer Head, as I also bought the SiO2 Spray, and continued on. And the same thing happened. After 8-10 sprays at most, that Sprayer Head quit too. Dammit!

So, back in the house again, grabbed a brand new translucent white Sprayer head that came with some Carpro goodie. That worked OK until the very end and that one as well clogged, and stopped working.

What I noted and could see, was a brownish color accumulating inside the Carpro Sprayer Head, and as well on the very Tip of the Sprayer. I wiped the Tip, had to squeeze quite hard a few times, then it freed, and the look of the product on the MF Towel looked like little strands of what looked like little pieces of brown Tobacco. Hmmm, not good.

When I finished, what I did was first again shake the product vigorously, then I poured a few ounces into a clear glass. The appearance looked like basically most run of the mill detailer sprays such as Meguairs in the red bottle, a thin milky white color. But after letting it sit for a period of 30 seconds I did note a slight brownish film at the top of the glass. I did not note any particulates in the product, so this has me stumped as to what's happening?

I tried to salvage the two Blackfire Sprayer Heads in a glass of clear hot water to no avail. I was able to rescue the Carpro Sprayer Head that it worked again properly.

The product appeared to work nicely, left a nice feel, and I did slightly note a little slight haze-clouding on glass and chrome which was quickly removed with another clean dry MF Towel.

The product has a very nice manly smell, like a high end cologne. I thought the product smelled very similar to Michael Kors.

All in all, seems like a nice product, but the clogging of sprayer heads every time I'll go to use this product does have me concerned, and am now wondering if the product is defective in some way?
I'm sure not liking the idea of needing a slew of Sprayer Heads on hand every time I use this product.

I might call AGeek, and make note of this quality with them soon and see what they say?