PDA

View Full Version : C6 Gets Wrecked by Carolina Auto Masters - Warning

Pages : [1] 2

ScottB
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
[BEWARE] Carolina Auto Masters (Jeff Creech) - Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1924211)

I read this post a couple weeks back, and have had it tossed around to me thru PM's and other emails as it hits different sites. I was not going to attach it here, as really it has very little to do with our site, but I feel there is a couple of items to forwarn the forum about since most of us modify and care greatly for our cars.

1. You should warn any dealer, or repair facility in advance that there should be NO UNAUTHORIZED USE of your car. Not for testing, tuning, nor running to get a slurpee if the mechanic is so inclined. Record mileage and gas levels together ...

2. Realize that modifications to your car, no matter how small or large, are NOT likely covered in the standard policy. Even custom wheels require riders.

3. Carry coverage far in excess of the minimum. To small a policy can leave you open to litigation, and realize in advance that the same is needed against others. (I found this out the hard way when 02 got totaled and his policy was 35k).

4. Take pictures of your ride before and after repair work. Notify a shop immediately of any damage and ask to see the owner or shop manager to notate.

5. Consult an attorney when bad things happen, the small cost of a consultation is ALWAYS recoverable when repairing/righting a loss.

wytstang
02-10-2008, 07:03 PM
WOW this is the same guy who was on Pinks racing a WS6 racing a blown Honda. He is a sponsor on a local North and South Carolina forum. Wonder if news has hit there yet. I'll check but thats messed up in every way I would sue him into bankrupt to be honest.

wytstang
02-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Never mind it's been posted there as well.

lethalxls1
02-12-2008, 05:29 AM
I had a problem like this happen to me on a much lesser scale. Its hard to find people you can trust with a performance car. I am still in shock that the guy let his employee drive the car for personal bussiness etc. -thats just poor judjement.

BigFloppy
02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
2. Realize that modifications to your car, no matter how small or large, are NOT likely covered in the standard policy. Even custom wheels require riders.
This post really made me think! and no, I DIDN'T have my wheels covered, let alone the light-bar, CAI, stripes, hard-wired Valentine1 and Detail Corral

Thanks Killr

killrflake
02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately I've heard stories like this all to often. Hopefully it reminds us all to use caution when entering into bussiness stuations like this fellow did. Even bussinessman who own larger more established custom shops and the like can have poor knowledge in insuring himself to protect both himself and customers that made his bussiness what it is, and in the end the customer is screwed and he very well may lose the company he built, and rightfully so.

Surfer
02-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Whats even crazier is when it happens at actual reputable dealers and not shops. How about Champion and the employee taking customers brand new Carerra GT out on I-95 and losing control and flew off the highway, remember that?

ggk
02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
i dont get why he is mad he would be getting the money for a new one from the insurance company and the guy said he would do all the performance mods(he just wouldnt buy the parts ie he'd take them off the car cause the insurance company wasnt paying for them anyways if he didnt have a rider for them) the mechanic is prob lying about the owner saying "yeah take the car for the weekend"

i dont see the biggie other than the car being messed up and him not having the car(which he should be compensated for)

and the not having a rider makes it so he can just replace the parts on the car with the ones they are paying for.

dontsleeponit
02-13-2008, 04:15 PM
FWIW, I read in a few other places that CAM tried to make it right with the customer, but it wasnt acceptable to them. Sounds like a crappy situation for all involved, but theres been way too much bashing of their shop going on because of the incident.

lethalxls1
02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Bashing? what do you expect? I think anyone who makes such a lack of proper judgement deserves every bit of it. The internet is a great place to promote your business and I am sure he got many customers through several car forums and made alot of money because of it- the downside of the internet(for business owners) is that these forums also spread the word on shops that do bad work or in this case- let a employee take a mans car and drive it as his own.

ggk
02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
this is one incident and i dont know why the guy is making such a fuss. the guy was saying he would make it right but the terms were not in the guys super high expectations. it sounds like the guy was like i want my car back and no other will do. it is his fault this problem is not being fixed.

lethalxls1
02-13-2008, 07:29 PM
i dont get why he is mad he would be getting the money for a new one from the insurance company and the guy said he would do all the performance mods(he just wouldnt buy the parts ie he'd take them off the car cause the insurance company wasnt paying for them anyways if he didnt have a rider for them) the mechanic is prob lying about the owner saying "yeah take the car for the weekend"

i dont see the biggie other than the car being messed up and him not having the car(which he should be compensated for)

and the not having a rider makes it so he can just replace the parts on the car with the ones they are paying for.

You dont see the "biggie" - are you serious? hahahahahaha!!!!!

ScottB
02-13-2008, 09:16 PM
this is one incident and i dont know why the guy is making such a fuss. the guy was saying he would make it right but the terms were not in the guys super high expectations. it sounds like the guy was like i want my car back and no other will do. it is his fault this problem is not being fixed.

While not my original intent in post, heres my view "if" tuner wrecked my car :

1. Here's my lawyer (Mr. Pitbull please stand up)
2. I would NEVER trust the same shop again, either to put a new one together, to tell me which parts were salvagable, nor would I ever be satisfied with any outcome and blame for all problems in future.
3. Admit the fault, take full responsibility, and interceed between insurance companies to make sure settlement is more than fair.

lethalxls1
02-13-2008, 11:18 PM
^ I fully agree.

Z06-Goose
02-13-2008, 11:35 PM
That's a big bummer!