PDA

View Full Version : Layering sealant

Pages : [1] 2

mrq0604
07-09-2018, 08:47 PM
I detailed my car over the weekend.

I applied a cost of Klasse sealant on Saturday, and on Sunday I applied another coat.

I noticed that first coat of sealant wasn't completely buffed off (there is some haze upon close inspection). Klasse is always difficult to buff off even though I apply tiny bit on each panel.

I was wondering if the 2nd coat of sealant gets bonded correctly to the paint even if the 1st isn't buffed off completely...

Thanks in advance

FUNX650
07-09-2018, 10:34 PM
I was wondering if the 2nd coat of sealant
gets bonded correctly to the paint even if
the 1st isn't buffed off completely...

1.) Just because some of the residues of the
1st coat of Sealant hasn’t been completely
buffed-off (i.e.: removed), doesn’t particularly
mean that the properties that cause the
Sealant to bond to the vehicle’s paint surfaces
haven’t been effectuated.

2.) With the above scenario in mind (and not
wishing to disregard “The Laws of Physics”):

Since the 1st coat of Sealant is now bonded
to the paint...it would seem, to me, to be nigh
onto impossible for a 2nd coat of the Sealant
to somehow “work” its way into—and through—
that bonded-to-the-paint 1st coat of Sealant to
somehow bond itself to the paint instead.

-Would the 1st coat of Sealant “unbond”
from the paint?
-If so: Where would it go?

•Something to consider:
-Will/Can a 2nd coat of a Sealant bond
to the 1st coat of that Sealant?
-Is it “Physics”-ally possible? Or not?

Bob

mrq0604
07-10-2018, 09:14 AM

from the paint?

•Something to consider:

Bob

I don't understand what you are saying here... So did I ruin the detail work? Should I start all over again?

mrq0604
07-10-2018, 09:19 AM

from the paint?

•Something to consider:

Bob

So does the 2nd sealant bond to the first coat of sealant? I studied qed and cmp, but I don't know about how these things would work...

FUNX650
07-10-2018, 09:29 AM
I don't understand what you are saying here... So did I ruin the detail work? Should I start all over again?
You brought up “bonding” in your OP.
Accordingly: My thoughts were, that,
I should at least try to expound a little
bit upon that premise...not that you
should start the sealing step over.

Bob

mrq0604
07-10-2018, 09:43 AM
You brought up “bonding” in your OP.
Accordingly: My thoughts were, that,
I should at least try to expound a little
bit upon that premise...not that you
should start the sealing step over.

Bob

Sorry for the confusion.

I just wanted to know whether 2nd coat of sealant was applied correctly even thought he 1st coat was not completely buffed off.

So should I apply the sealant again?

acuRAS82
07-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Sorry for the confusion.

I just wanted to know whether 2nd coat of sealant was applied correctly even thought he 1st coat was not completely buffed off.

So should I apply the sealant again?

I think you’re fine right now with a level coat of Klasse applied to your vehicle, regardless of which application left how much product. Doesn’t matter.

mrq0604
07-10-2018, 11:09 AM
I think you’re fine right now with a level coat of Klasse applied to your vehicle, regardless of which application left how much product. Doesn’t matter.

Does the sealant normally penetrate below the residue of earlier-applied sealant? My thought was that 2nd coat of sealant would be on the residue of the 1st coat of sealant, which would be removed when buffing

E93to
07-10-2018, 02:48 PM
So should I apply another coat of Klasse? I was going to apply Collinite 845 this weekend after the first wash, but should I apply Klasse instead, and then apply Klasse next weekend?

mrq0604
07-10-2018, 06:34 PM
I know there are a lot of professional detailers on this forum. Is this something you guys do as well when layering sealant? I would appreciate any input. Thanks

acuRAS82
07-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Hobbyist here. I cant say if your second Klasse penetrated through the first coat residues. As I mentioned though, you should have even coverage regardless. I’ve never used Klasse but I’ve used many others and I don’t believe in layering the same thing more than twice, because two times gets even coverage.

Anything more, and it’s anyone’s guess as to whether your helping, hindering or just not doing anything to the existing LSP.

Collinite can be topped on most anything and should change the look a bit. You can apply that anytime after how many layers of Klasse u decided on have cured (10 hours after the last coat was buffed off, I believe is what u said before).

acuRAS82
07-10-2018, 06:49 PM
So should I apply another coat of Klasse? I was going to apply Collinite 845 this weekend after the first wash, but should I apply Klasse instead, and then apply Klasse next weekend?

Is this mrq?

sudsmobile
07-10-2018, 06:52 PM
I doubt the second layer is doing anything at all except filling in spots that were missed or laid too thinly. The product bonds to the paint. Once you've covered all the paint with product, I doubt you're doing anything other than making yourself feel good by applying additional coats.

mrq0604
07-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Is this mrq?

Yeah... I happen to have 2 accounts. E93to is my original account but somehow tapatalk randomly logged me out and logged me back in with an old account I was not aware of. I cannot log in with E93to on tapatalk for some reason. So I just use the old account on tapatalk.

mrq0604
07-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Hobbyist here. I cant say if your second Klasse penetrated through the first coat residues. As I mentioned though, you should have even coverage regardless. I’ve never used Klasse but I’ve used many others and I don’t believe in layering the same thing more than twice, because two times gets even coverage.

Anything more, and it’s anyone’s guess as to whether your helping, hindering or just not doing anything to the existing LSP.

Collinite can be topped on most anything and should change the look a bit. You can apply that anytime after how many layers of Klasse u decided on have cured (10 hours after the last coat was buffed off, I believe is what u said before).

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it