PDA

View Full Version : CanCoat Application Problems

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Jeff at Gyeon
10-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Is it OK to use a spray wax on top of the CanCoat coating .. I will probably use this alternately on a weekly basis with the bottle of Cure that I am currently using.

Only asking because I purchased Duragloss Aquawax in bulk and have maybe 4 litres of it remaining !!!

I do not want it to ruin the CanCoat .. appreciate it if you can answer Jeff, but am aware it's a different branded product, so appreciate any insight.

You can apply any wax or sealant you'd like over a coating. It will not degrade the underlying layer. However as stated below you will experience the performance of that outer layer in terms of gloss and hydrophobic properties while the coating is still there doing its job with UV and chemical resistance. Go on lightly especially with a spray wax. You are applying a product that wants to absorb in to the pores of the paint, however we have sealed them off with CanCoat. When a product doesn't have anywhere to go it builds up and shows up as streaks.

RippyD
10-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Any reason a suede MF applicator won't work? This is what I use for other coatings. I dislike MF towels for this kind of product because they absorb so much of it.

Jeff at Gyeon
10-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Any reason a suede MF applicator won't work? This is what I use for other coatings. I dislike MF towels for this kind of product because they absorb so much of it.

the microfiber towel is recommended because of the speed in which the product is applied to the surface and the speed in which the carrier solvent begins to evaporate. You can use a small suede applicator but it will slow down the process and the product will likely remain on the surface a bit too long. The design of CanCoat is to be a fast and easy SiO2 application. My thought has always been if I am going to apply with the suede and block I would just bump up to ONE, PURE, or MOHS.

RippyD
10-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Got it. Will go with MF. Thanks Jeff.

Desertnate
10-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Besides the information Jeff has graciously provided, my experiences over two different applications in this very thread should help as well.

My first application using a MF applicator, which led me to start this thread was, was problematic to say the least. The second attempt in which I applied the product as directed using a low nap MF towel was very, quick, easy and actually pretty enjoyable.

You mention not liking the absorption of the product in the towel being a concern, but I'll counter with the fact you put down so little product each time saturation is never a problem. You are only giving the towel 2~3 quick pumps of the sprayer for each pannel and it comes out in a pretty fine mist. I only used one MF towel when applying to my wife's Highlander and at no time did I find the towel to be saturated and cause issues like other products might.

SirFrederick
12-18-2018, 03:41 PM
There are a few threads discussing CanCoat and I think I read in one of them that you can use multiple layers. Can anyone confirm if you can layer CanCoat or I'm I just wiping off the first layer when applying the second layer? If so how many hours between coats?

Jeff at Gyeon
12-18-2018, 03:51 PM
There are a few threads discussing CanCoat and I think I read in one of them that you can use multiple layers. Can anyone confirm if you can layer CanCoat or I'm I just wiping off the first layer when applying the second layer? If so how many hours between coats?

Yes you can definitely layer Q2 CanCoat. 3 layers tops with one hour in between will be fine.

mbkite
12-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Would you need to clean the pump between hour coats.

Desertnate
12-18-2018, 04:45 PM
My package came with three pumps or four extra pumps. Cleaning and using the same pump between applications might lead to water getting into the first few sprays of product during the follow on layers. I'd recommend simply using multiple spray pumps. After applying the first coat, clean that sprayer and leave it to dry. Pull out a dry spray pump to apply the second coat and do the same clean up routine afterwards.

SirFrederick
12-18-2018, 05:28 PM
My package came with three pumps or four extra pumps. Cleaning and using the same pump between applications might lead to water getting into the first few sprays of product during the follow on layers. I'd recommend simply using multiple spray pumps. After applying the first coat, clean that sprayer and leave it to dry. Pull out a dry spray pump to apply the second coat and do the same clean up routing afterwards.Excellent advice.

The Guz
12-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Would you need to clean the pump between hour coats.

Do what’s mentioned up above.

The only thing I will add is that I flush hot water through the sprayer. I pump the sprayer as well. My original sprayer is still working and I have never had it clog up.

Desertnate
12-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Excellent advice.

Spelling error and all. Sorry about that guys...

Do what’s mentioned up above.

The only thing I will add is that I flush hot water through the sprayer. I pump the sprayer as well. My original sprayer is still working and I have never had it clog up.

I too am using the original sprayer since I never layer CanCoat immediatly. I still have 2~3 untouched pumps in the box.

My clean up is similar, but I'll fill a small bucket with a mixture of APC and water. I'll then stick the pump tube in the bucket and run quite a bit of solution through it. Once I'm done, I'll submerge the entire assembly in the solution. I also stick my application towel in this bucket and let everything soak over night. So far, I'm able to re-use both the towels and the pumps with no problems.

SirFrederick
12-21-2018, 08:05 PM
I put on two layers of CanCoat earlier this week. Man o man that stuff is fantastic. It's so easy to use. It's basically like using Megs Fast Finish. I suspect it will have much better durability though. The gloss is a lot better the MFF which doesn't really add any gloss at all. I would have to say that CanCoat is probably one of the best detailing products out there.

02whitetundra
09-20-2020, 05:05 PM
Just got done doing a Honda Accord in blue. There are several high spots showing now as the sun has gone down. How do you get rid of those so I can re-coat those areas? They weren't there when I was applying this.

TTQ B4U
09-20-2020, 06:02 PM
Just got done doing a Honda Accord in blue. There are several high spots showing now as the sun has gone down. How do you get rid of those so I can re-coat those areas? They weren't there when I was applying this.

Sorry to hear. High-spots can be a PIA but what you're going through in terms of a learning curve.....well, lots of people experience it. I'm sure Mike can chime in and I'll see if I can link you to some tips and tricks on wipe off techniques. I may put a video together even down the road.

Anyway, to your point, if you have a handful of them, and they positively are set in and won't wipe off, try with some paint prep spray and see if they are possible not fully cured. If so, then you can try a light polish and a rag by hand. Light even pressure with a foam applicator and then buff. If that has removed it, re-apply to that area overlapping it of course and then buff completely. Make sure being it's a dark color that the appearance is even and looks uniform. You shouldn't have any issues. Worst case you may have to just very lightly polish the entire panel but I doubt it.

Not sure if you did but using the GYEON Primer as your base makes using CanCoat so much easier. Goes on easier and wipes off nicely. Give it a try. Hope this helps.