PDA

View Full Version : "Tinted" wheels?

PaulMys
07-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Getting new wheels /tires for the wife's Jeep.

The wheels she picked out are described as "tinted" aluminum. They are black, but nowhere does it say they are powder-coated.

Anyone ever hear of tinted aluminum finish? Best way to care for it?

Rsurfer
07-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Getting new wheels /tires for the wife's Jeep.

The wheels she picked out are described as "tinted" aluminum. They are black, but nowhere does it say they are powder-coated.

Anyone ever hear of tinted aluminum finish? Best way to care for it?

Tinted to me is just another word for painted. Probably clear coated, so treat it like paint on your car.

It could also mean that the clear coat is tinted black.

PaulMys
07-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Tinted to me is just another word for painted. Probably clear coated, so treat it like paint on your car.

My thinking exactly. I just wanted to throw this out to the AGO crew to make sure.

Thanks, my man.

Sizzle Chest
07-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Maybe they are anodized? Never heard the term 'tinted' used to describe a finish on wheels/metal before.

UncleDavy
07-08-2018, 09:42 PM
It sounds like they are anodized Paulie. It is a unique electrochemical process that forms aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum part and it will not chip or peel. For cleaning, just use simple car soap and water. Harsh acidic cleaners or chemicals can stain or dull anodized wheels. A good metal sealant will help keep them clean.

PaulMys
07-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Maybe they are anodized? Never heard the term 'tinted' used to describe a finish on wheels/metal before.

Yeah, me either Scott.

It sounds like they are anodized Paulie. It is a unique electrochemical process that forms aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum part and it will not chip or peel. For cleaning, just use simple car soap and water. Harsh acidic cleaners or chemicals can stain or dull anodized wheels. A good metal sealant will help keep them clean.

Yeah, being in the marine industry for decades, I'm familiar with anodized finish.
Been trying to find a better description of these damn things, but their website is pretty lacking....... :/

PaulMys
07-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Rsurfer for the win.

Just got in touch with the manufacturer. Painted, with tinted clear.

Ok, next up....... Anyone recommend a wheel coating?

Rsurfer
07-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Rsurfer for the win.

Just got in touch with the manufacturer. Painted, with tinted clear.

Ok, next up....... Anyone recommend a wheel coating?

Car Pro's Dlux has worked for me.

Sizzle Chest
07-10-2018, 07:08 PM
22ple

LSNAutoDetailing
07-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Both DLUX and 22ple are good.

PaulMys
07-10-2018, 07:20 PM
22ple?

LSNAutoDetailing
07-10-2018, 07:33 PM
22ple?

Oops... I'm going to get self banned... I thought it was on the AG site, but not. Sorry! :(
Go with DLUX! You can use it on wheels, plastics, lights, wiper arms, engine cowl, even plastics under the hood... Apply heavy, you can't go wrong.

PaulMys
07-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Oops... I'm going to get self banned... I thought it was on the AG site, but not. Sorry! :(
Go with DLUX! You can use it on wheels, plastics, lights, wiper arms, engine cowl, even plastics under the hood... Apply heavy, you can't go wrong.

Highly doubt it, Paul. Lol

Cool, man. So you think I'm going in the right direction here? Coating over a wheel wax or sealant?

Look who I'm asking............. Lol

LSNAutoDetailing
07-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Highly doubt it, Paul. Lol

Cool, man. So you think I'm going in the right direction here? Coating over a wheel wax or sealant?

Look who I'm asking............. Lol

I coat my wheels... I like low maintenance.

PaulMys
07-10-2018, 08:10 PM
I coat my wheels... I like low maintenance.

I'm hip, Paul. Looking at DLUX as we speak..........:props:

Thanks, brother!