PDA

View Full Version : SHINY dash 2018 F150

hoyt66
07-07-2018, 05:06 AM
I'm sorry to bring in another "shiny/glossy" dash thread but... I have searched and read what I could find. My dash is way to shiny in the direct sun for my liking. Overcast days are not a problem. I am looking for an oem finish or even a slight sheen.

I have a 2018 F150. I've cleaned the interior with apc and tried - Mckees interior surface protectant, 303, Blackfire Interior Protectant and Mckees Quick Interior detailer.

Application
1) Wipe with apc and clean micro fiber
2) Wipe with distilled water and clean micro fiber
3) Wipe with protectant and clean microfiber
4) Follow up wipe with dry microfiber directly after each section

Mckees Quick yield the least amount of gloss but I question the protection part.

303 would be next best in terms of low gloss but still a little much.

I have not had this issue on past vehicles. I almost believe its the dash material in the truck. Maybe its the texture of the dash. Having so many "faces" to reflect light?? Has anyone had similar experiences on newer F150's?

I've used Ultima Interior Guard before and liked it alot. Maybe I need to go that route?

Eldorado2k
07-07-2018, 06:35 AM
I'm sorry to bring in another "shiny/glossy" dash thread but... I have searched and read what I could find.

I have a new F150. I've cleaned with apc and tried - Mckees interior surface protectant, 303, Blackfire Interior Protectant and Mckees Quick Interior detailer.

Application
1) Wipe with apc and clean micro fiber
2) Wipe with distilled water and clean micro fiber
3) Wipe with protectant and clean microfiber
4) Follow up wipe with dry microfiber directly after each section

Mckees Quick yield the least amount of gloss but I question the protection part.

303 would be next best in terms of low gloss but still a little much.

I have not had this issue on past vehicles. I almost believe its the dash material in the truck. Has anyone had similar experiences on newer F150's?

I've used Ultima Interior Guard before and liked it alot. Maybe I need to go that route?

I’ll do some testing on my brothers F-150 when I get a chance... In the meantime, what’s the actual problem? You having trouble seeing? Or you just have something against the glossy look on the vinyl?

What’s your opinion of this?

Before.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/529e176a553bab4abb29dd8c32e00848.jpg

After.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/aec66e6bbe551b2578446ef6067a66ee.jpg

Do you hate it?

Btw, I’m pretty sure all new vehicles come with a layer of built in UV protection inside the glass. At least I think the windshield does.

hoyt66
07-07-2018, 06:46 AM
I’ll do some testing on my brothers F-150 when I get a chance... In the meantime, what’s the actual problem? You having trouble seeing? Or you just have something against the glossy look on the vinyl? Not so much trouble seeing as it is just way to shiny for my liking. I like an OEM finish or even a slight sheen

What’s your opinion of this? It's kind of hard to tell from pics. Black fire and 303 finish out perfect. But on a sunny day its so shiny. Maybe its the texture of the dash. Having so many "faces" to reflect light??

Btw, I’m pretty sure all new vehicles come with a layer of built in UV protection inside the glass. At least I think the windshield does. Good point. Didn't think of that

Eldorado2k
07-07-2018, 07:06 AM
I have a few customers who are completely against the idea of anything shiny on their interior.. Those customers get their interior wiped down with Megs D181 Leather Cleaner and the occasional follow up wipedown with Megs D156 Synthetic Spray Wax, which quikly dissipates leaving a completely matte finish. But they get no dressings, no protectants, no interior detailers, no nothing else, and they like it.

In this world there’s matte people, and conditioner people. I think both look just fine.[emoji4]

SWETM
07-07-2018, 07:25 AM
I would suggest Ultima Interior Guard Plus. I have not tested this one myself but carpro So2Pure is a combo of odor elimenator and a dash coating protectant. A slight citrus smell and it's have a matte look.

Rmd
07-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Check out the PBL leather and vinyl coating. It doesn’t change the look of the dash hardly at all on my cars. It’s hard to tell if there is anything there by looking at it, but it feels “smooth,” not quite “slick.” The feel is most noticeable when I do my routine interior wipe down with interior detailer. Only drawback is that it’s a bit pricey compared to interior dressing or conditioner products, but it lasts longer than a dressing product so you use it less often.

hoyt66
07-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. My son and I just got back from a ride on the truck. I asked him if he could tell a difference between the pass (303) and driver dash (Blackfire). He could not and agreed both were very shiny. When we came to a place that the sun was slightly overhead and only on half the dash the side with no sun showed a really nice low sheen finish. One I would expect from 303. There 2 different textures on the dash pieces. Both react the same way.