PDA

View Full Version : Dp 555 / Megs #7

BILL
07-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Is megs 7 a finishing polish or glaze, got my megs 7 today and it says its a pure polish, i already have the DP-555 finshing polish, I dont need 2 finishing polish's.....at this time............and what pad do i use to apply?? grey?? but ill buff off with a M.F.

wytstang
07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
#7 is a glaze similar to #80

bluzman
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
more or less abrasive?? Ijust bought some #80. I havent had the chance to use it yet.

MikeyC
07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
#7 is a glaze similar to #80
I'm not sure I agree with your statement.

#7 is definitely a glaze containing only oils and no abrasives or cleaners. It's simply meant to be a filler and shine enhancer.

#80 on the other hand is listed by Meguiar's as a cleaner/polish. Also, on the bottle their abrasive level indicator states #80 is level 4. I would probably consider #80 a light polish or even a finishing polish.

So, I would say they are completely different products. One is a glaze and the other is a light polish.

GearHead_1
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM

#7 is definitely a glaze containing only oils and no abrasives or cleaners. It's simply meant to be a filler and shine enhancer.

#80 on the other hand is listed by Meguiar's as a cleaner/polish. Also, on the bottle their abrasive level indicator states #80 is level 4. I would probably consider #80 a light polish or even a finishing polish.

So, I would say they are completely different products. One is a glaze and the other is a light polish.

This is also my understanding. It can be used under a wax but shouldn't be used under most sealants.

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 03:29 PM

:iagree: I think that the problem arises from Meg's terminology "polish". I think most people when they hear the word "polish" they imagine something abrasive to be used with a buffer. But I always think of #7 like a furniture polish, something that enhances shine and it's purpose is for beautification. Let's not forget that Meguiar's started out making polishes for furniture. #7 is a beautification product employing oils and fillers. It adds shine and gloss but doesn't clean and doesn't abrade the surface. Meg's would do better to call it a "pure glaze" rather than a pure polish, but that's just my opinion. :)

BILL
07-11-2006, 04:03 PM
So the bottom line is either glaze and wax
or sealer and wax........

GearHead_1
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
So the bottom line is either glaze and wax
or sealer and wax........
Pretty much though some like to throw multiple waxes on. Like glaze, wax, wax or sealant, wax, wax. It seems like people reserve their high dollar waxes as a LSP. I know I've used Souveran in this manner over a variety of other waxes though I typically don't use two different waxes on top of a sealant. My take on it is that glazes seem to have become less popular in recent years strictly due to their durability. They tend to go away pretty quickly.

BILL
07-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Pretty much though some like to throw multiple waxes on. Like glaze, wax, wax or sealant, wax, wax. It seems like people reserve their high dollar waxes as a LSP. I know I've used Souveran in this manner over a variety of other waxes though I typically don't use two different waxes on top of a sealant. My take on it is that glazes seem to have become less popular in recent years strictly due to their durability. They tend to go away pretty quickly.

They go away even topped with wax? so if i waxed weekly would that keep the glaze up or would i have to re-glaze and wax bi weekly?

if i were to re-glaze? would i also have to re-polish first?? if so??
ill go with just a sealer and wax.......too much work.......;)

GearHead_1
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I can answer this one specifically to #7 with #26 over it. Within 10 days light swirls were very apparent again. In fact the slickness of #26 lasted longer by itself than it did with #7 under it (I've done a side by side on the same vehicle in order to say this). This is only my experience but I believe others would say they have had similar results with glazes. They don't tend to last very long regardless of what's on top of them and they don't make a good base for a sealant (something like AIO or ColorX is a better choice here). The place where I've seen glazes used with some actual benefit is on a show car and when it's used instead of an LSP (no topper). They will make the car look wet for a day or two and durability isn't the primary intended result.

ScottB
07-11-2006, 06:00 PM

:iagree: :iagree:

Mikey is absolutely, postively, without a single doubt in my mind CORRECT !!

MikeyC
07-11-2006, 09:59 PM
:iagree: :iagree:

Mikey is absolutely, postively, without a single doubt in my mind CORRECT !!
Thanks! :D One of the biggest problems in the car care industry IMO is the lack of universal terminology. One company calls a product a glaze while their competitor calls their identical product a polish. It can be very confusing.

Personally, I don't really like to use glazes at all. I feel like if you do a good job polishing your car and maintaining it then there's really no need for a glaze.

I do have a bottle of #7 on the shelf, but I only use it on freshly painted areas to provide some limited protection.

MCA
07-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I really like using #7 - I'm very fortunate in that I have not encountered any difficulty with its removal. As an owner of a black car that I intend to keep awhile - glazes really help with minimizing the need for polishing due to their filling properties. Infrequent abrasive polishing now = more clear coat years later .

wytstang
07-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah MikeyC is correct I went by the name listed on autodetailingsolutions.com (they have it under the catagory Speed Glaze) sorry for the confusion.