PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressings Harming Tires?

Pages : [1] 2

winboys
07-05-2018, 10:18 PM
I have some Michelin A/T2 tires. They have roughly 45,000 miles with a 60,000 mile warranty. All tires have a lot of small cracking everywhere around the sidewalls. Discount Tire tells me it is from the tire dressing. Michelin told me the same and says they do not recommend any dressing. I always keep the tires/truck clean. The truck is in the garage 70% of the time and is really just a weekend driver anymore. All I have ever used on them is the Optimum tire dressing and most recently the 303 dressing (but cracks started way before the 303). That I recall, I have never noticed cracking like this on any other tires I have owned. What do you guys think?

AZpolisher15
07-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Ive gotten the small cracks in every set of Michelin's I've had. Seems to show up around the 4 year mark. Imo there's no connection to dressings. My brothers Miches got the cracks at 4 years too. And he never dressed his tires. My current set is holding up better than all previous sets and I always have them dressed with Duragloss 253. Currently 45k miles and almost to 4 years. I should look at the back side and see how they look.

oneheadlite
07-05-2018, 11:18 PM
How old are the tires? That can have a lot more effect in my experience than mileage.

MattPersman
07-06-2018, 05:51 AM
How old are the tires? That can have a lot more effect in my experience than mileage.

Agreed ive seen many many michelins with cracking that are just several years old dressing or not. It’s a pretty normal problem. Either ride it out or replace with something you see reviewed to your liking and budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUNX650
07-06-2018, 06:41 AM
I have some Michelin A/T2 tires.
They have roughly 45,000 miles
with a 60,000 mile warranty.

All tires have a lot of small cracking
everywhere around the sidewalls. Discount
Tire tells me it is from the tire dressing.

Michelin told me the same and says they
do not recommend any dressing.

What do you guys think?

Two thoughts of mine:
1.) I favor the “don’t use petroleum-based
tire dressings/cleaners” way of thinking.

2.) C’mon Michelin...make up your mind!!

Tire Care and Maintenance

Can I use tire cleaners?
”Avoid the use of petroleum based tire
cleaning products as they can exhaust
the tire's oxidation and weathering
agents within the rubber compounds,
resulting in cracking.

Use only non-petroleum based products
or plain soap and water for tire cleaning.”

Source:
FAQs | Tire Problems | Michelin US (https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/faq.html#1393412905701)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/B95CDCD8-A849-436F-A7F7-4308942ACD80.png

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/3F94F67F-1740-425B-9064-871708927D40.png

Source:
MICHELIN(R) Premium Shine Tire Coating | GPMI Company (https://gpmicompany.com/michelin/michelin-premium-tire-shine-coating/)

Bob

SWETM
07-06-2018, 07:28 AM
The warranty is it 60k miles or till it reached a certain time? Otherwise they would honour the warrenty. But on the otherhand as Bob wrote about the tire dressing and they have their own. It's a perfect way for them to avoid the warrenty. And when you think about it what environment tires are in when driving. The spill from petroleum and oils and coolants. And the tires would not stand up to that in reasonable time. The tire dressing that are petroleum based use that as carrier solvent to the tire dressing. And would evaporate so quick that the use of it would not be a problem I think. The driving on roads would be more harsh than some tire dressing.

Desertnate
07-06-2018, 07:32 AM

This is the big question. If the truck is only driven on the weekends and special occasions, it will take a very long time to cover 45K miles, let alone 60K. My guess is time has taken its toll on the rubber, not environment or dressings.

Mike Phillips
07-06-2018, 07:42 AM
I've seen this question come up a lot in the last 16 years in the forum world so I checked with the head chemist at Meguiar's about this topic and he assured me that they take safety into consideration when creating any formula and especially tires.

I think as long as you use products from a reputable brand, you can trust they have professionals for chemists and the products are safe for their intended use.

Also, somewhere on this forum I have an article about "petroleum distillates" where I explain this is a general term and does not take into consideration all the variations of "distillates" of "petroleum".

:)

Mike Phillips
07-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Petroleum Distillates or Solvents (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/57173-petroleum-distillates-solvents.html)

Just because a product states that it contains petroleum distillates, or PD's doesn't automatically mean the product is bad or will harm anything. It depends upon the quality of of the petroleum distillates used. Just answered a PM about this and thought I would post the below picture I took years ago to make a point...

Here's an example of how safe petroleum distillates can be...

Chap-Stick, a product you apply to your lips contains 44 percent Petrolatums as well as Isopropyl Myristate and Cetyl Alcohol. All of these ingredients can sound bad for your skin but look how long Chap-Stick has been around, how safe it is for your skin and what a great product it is?

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2chapstick.jpg

Stick with brands you trust and trust that the chemist behind the product formula is a qualified chemist and has done their homework to create a product that work and is safe for the intended application.

:)

Boudin
07-06-2018, 08:18 AM
I've had 3 sets of Michilen At2s, they've all had the cracking around the wheel bead regardless of cleaner/dressing.

Look on the backside of the tire, which is almost never clean or dressed and compare, if it's cracked as well they can't blame product usage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don M
07-06-2018, 11:11 AM
I've talked to several different tire dealers and they all said that Michelin tires are notorious for cracking. My brother's truck had Michelins and they developed actual CREVICES in the sidewall, and he NEVER cares for his truck ... it doesn't even get washed, let alone waxed or the tires dressed.

DaveT435
07-06-2018, 11:20 AM
I have some Michelin A/T2 tires. They have roughly 45,000 miles with a 60,000 mile warranty. All tires have a lot of small cracking everywhere around the sidewalls. Discount Tire tells me it is from the tire dressing. Michelin told me the same and says they do not recommend any dressing. I always keep the tires/truck clean. The truck is in the garage 70% of the time and is really just a weekend driver anymore. All I have ever used on them is the Optimum tire dressing and most recently the 303 dressing (but cracks started way before the 303). That I recall, I have never noticed cracking like this on any other tires I have owned. What do you guys think?

They're Michelins. I worked for Discount for 28 years. Michelin won't replace the tires for this unless the cracks get down to the cords. Discount surely can't afford to replace 80% of the Michelins they sell for this problem. It's not a safety hazard unless they get really deep, down to cords. I've got a set of them that came on my wife's truck that are like that. I'm getting ready to replace them because they're almost 4 years old, definitely not going back with the Michelins. Yokohama used to have the same cracking problem but they've got it taken care of now apparently. I'm replacing the Michelins with Yokohama or Bridgestone. Leaning toward Bridgestone because they have always built one of the truest running, best balancing tires on the market.

Bill D
07-06-2018, 11:50 AM
All this talk of cracking makes me very disappointed with Michelin. I thought it was supposed to be the best. I think I'm going to get Continentals next time I need tires.

Desertnate
07-06-2018, 12:41 PM
All this talk of cracking makes me very disappointed with Michelin. I thought it was supposed to be the best. I think I'm going to get Continentals next time I need tires.

I'm currently running Michelin's LTX's on my wife's SUV and some PSS's as my summer tires on my car. For their class of tire, they have out performed anything I've used of similar brands in both grip and durability. Fortunaly, I hit sales/rebates to bring down the prices. I'm hooked.

Every tire, regardless of brand, if it's old enough will start to develop some small cracks either on the sidewalls, between the tread blocks, or along the sides of tread blocks.

FUNX650
07-06-2018, 02:19 PM
I'm currently running Michelin's on my
wife's SUV and...as my summer tires
on my car.

...they have out performed anything
I've used of similar brands in both
grip and durability.

^^^:iagree:

I really enjoy my Michelins.

It almost seems that some people are
destined to become Michelin owners.

Here’s me at ~6 months:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/61FFB702-0C9B-414A-8F43-DD2391B97A75.jpeg

Bob