PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please

fech
02-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm getting ready to wax my car using these steps and the PC 7424 with edge pads.
1) clay magic clay bar
2) p21s paintwork cleanser
3) menzerna super intensive polish
4) menzerna nano polish
5) Wolfgang DGPS
6) p21s carnuba wax

Since this is the first time that I'm going to be this detailed with waxing, I was hoping for a few suggestions. My questions are, how long should I wait between each step, how many coats of step 5 and 6 should I use, and is the red edge pad the only pad I should use on steps 5 and 6 to insure that I don't take the previous coats off? I know this is a lot, but any help would be great.
Thanks

mingraygt
02-10-2008, 10:12 AM
I think on steps 5-6 you could use a LC blue or red pad for either one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sparkie
02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
1) clay magic clay bar
2) p21s paintwork cleanser (you can, but not necssary IMO)
3) menzerna super intensive polish
4) menzerna nano polish
5) Wolfgang DGPS
(Wait until the next day before waxing, give the sealant to cure)
6) p21s carnuba wax

:buffing:

fech
02-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was only going to clay bar certain parts of the car, that's why I'm also using the paintwork cleanser.

mingraygt
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
If the car has never been clayed then I would do the whole car.

Jimmie
02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I'd suggest moving step #2 between 4 &5. It would be clay-polish-paint cleaner-sealant-carnauba.

fech
02-10-2008, 01:15 PM
The car has been clayed before. Why do the cleanser between 4 & 5 and not before them?

Jimmie
02-10-2008, 01:34 PM
The car has been clayed before. Why do the cleanser between 4 & 5 and not before them?

You want to make sure that your sealant bonds to clean paint (no oils, carnauba, etc). Clay will remove embedded contaminates; polish will remove imperfections but not necessarily dirt. I use to believe that it would. A member did a review where he clayed, polished, and then used a paint cleaner. Hard to describe how dirty his pad got with the paint cleaner after he'd already done the other steps. I've always followed this sequence but do the paintwork cleaner by hand so I'd never seen the dirt.
One of our fellow detailers from the UK follows up his polishing with paint cleaners in the videos that I've watched.

makdaddy626
02-10-2008, 01:59 PM
:iagree::whs: Use a paint cleaner after polishing to remove all of the oils and lubricants left over from the polish to ensure that the sealant will bond properly.

The only steps that need wait time between them are the sealant to wax (as has already been mentioned) to allow the sealant time to bond.

At most, 2 coats of the sealant (at least 12 hours apart), and two coats of wax. Just to ensure full coverage. One coat of each should be plenty though.

Are you using the new P21S or the older version? I'd love to hear some more reviews of the new 100%, especially about longevity since that seems to have been one of the cons of their old wax.

fech
02-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks. I'm using the old p21s wax and it doesn't have much longevity. That's the reason I use the sealant. In all honesty though, it last just as long as any wax I've used. All waxes don't seem to have much longevity.