PDA

View Full Version : Are those water spots?

aquarian
07-04-2018, 06:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d83DPts9vog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00TYc3goMGA

I don't normally drive this particular car in the rain but a couple of days ago it started raining pretty hard when I was out.

I finally got a chance to wash my car today and have discovered what appears to be water spots but they are not.

The rear of the car was completely coated with CarPro UK last year. There were absolutely no spots prior this particular drive in the rain a couple of days ago. This car is always garaged and only driven once a week or sometimes less.

I tried removing the "spots" using:

1) McKee's Fast Water Spot Remover
2) Klasse AIO
3) CarPro ECH20

Finally CarPro Essence Plus thinking I could "repair" the coating using hand applicator.

Nothing worked, at all.

I seriously think that the coating has failed one way or the other.

I have a feeling that I may need to polish those areas again and re-apply Cquartz UK...

Dr Oldz
07-04-2018, 08:41 PM
They appear to be water spots. I know some coatings are prone to water spotting. Do U use reload for upkeep?

From what I can tell in the video it appears you need a more aggressive approach(polish/swirl remover) which will compromise the coating.

BTW nice job showing your issues with the video.

aquarian
07-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Thanks Jim. I would like to add that the rear of the car gets extremely hot during drives so perhaps Cquartz won't last as long? Yes I do use Reload and Ech2o on a regular basis so keep the car in a pristine condition.

Prior to washing the car, Trix was applied to the full rear of the car. After I discovered the spots, I also tried using TarX hoping it would do something, but it didn't.

They appear to be water spots. I know some coatings are prone to water spotting. Do U use reload for upkeep?

From what I can tell in the video it appears you need a more aggressive approach(polish/swirl remover) which will compromise the coating.

BTW nice job showing your issues with the video.

Dr Oldz
07-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Honestly some water can just be brutal. I would be kinda glad that the coating probably took most of the damage and most likely helped save the paint here. No matter if it’s a wax a sealant or a coating remember they are just sacrificial barriers to help save the paint.

TTQ B4U
07-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Looking at the video and the photos, I see tons of swirl marks too. Not what you want to hear but IMO the paint look like it could use a good polish / correction regardless. The clarity just isn't there. Re-do it, use Cquartz but then top it with Gliss.

Dr Oldz
07-04-2018, 08:58 PM
To add if u have any CarPro spotless perhaps give that a try. I doubt it will help but sometimes the synergy approach works. Spotless has done some wonders for me!

Dr Oldz
07-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Looking at the video and the photos, I see tons of swirl marks too. Not what you want to hear but IMO the paint look like it could use a good polish / correction regardless. The clarity just isn't there. Re-do it, use Cquartz but then top it with Gliss.

Good point here. Perhaps they were pre existing???

aquarian
07-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Thanks. Yeah there are some marring and swirls as the piano black paint on this car is extremely soft and anything would scratch it. Last time I paint corrected the rear was last Oct and it just surprises me that Cquartz would fail this fast. BTW, Cquartz UK was applied after using Essence.

TTQ B4U
07-04-2018, 09:27 PM
Thanks. Yeah there are some marring and swirls as the piano black paint on this car is extremely soft and anything would scratch it. Last time I paint corrected the rear was last Oct and it just surprises me that Cquartz would fail this fast. BTW, Cquartz UK was applied after using Essence.

I'm familiar with Brilliant Black - Pure Black on Audi's.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/165925812/original.jpg

Is the finish still exhibiting hydrophobic properties? I don't think the coating "failed" but I do think someone the minerals in the water that was on there etched into the coating. Perhaps sprinkler or garden hose spray? Here in Ohio I don't see issues with rain causing spotting but sprinklers and municipal water...yes.

aquarian
07-04-2018, 09:34 PM
It was definitely rain, and not municipal water as the car is fully garaged unless driven.

The paint is not Brilliant Black, it's a special Piano Black on the rear of the R8 V10's.

Yes, during washing the water was still beading like crazy so not sure what happened. But I just ordered CarPro spotless and we'll see what happens!

I'm familiar with Brilliant Black - Pure Black on Audi's.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/165925812/original.jpg

Is the finish still exhibiting hydrophobic properties? I don't think the coating "failed" but I do think someone the minerals in the water that was on there etched into the coating. Perhaps sprinkler or garden hose spray? Here in Ohio I don't see issues with rain causing spotting but sprinklers and municipal water...yes.

TTQ B4U
07-04-2018, 09:47 PM
It was definitely rain, and not municipal water as the car is fully garaged unless driven.

The paint is not Brilliant Black, it's a special Piano Black on the rear of the R8 V10's.

Yes, during washing the water was still beading like crazy so not sure what happened. But I just ordered CarPro spotless and we'll see what happens!

what year is the R8?

aquarian
07-04-2018, 10:14 PM
what year is the R8?

TTQ B4U
07-04-2018, 11:22 PM

I thought so.

Brilliant Black
Deep Black Pearl
Mythos Black Metallic
Phantom Black Pearl

all use the same clear coat. Panther Black Pearl Effect IIRC has a tinted clear coat. I've not worked on a Panther Black but the rest will respond well to Essence if youi use that as a base coat polish. Menzerna's line up was designed for MBZ and works well on BMW and Audi paint too.

I had mine polished to a mirror finish thus it was ultra sensitive to marring. If I were you, I'd re-polish and coat with 2 layers of CQ and put on a layer of Gliss which was designed to resist spotting.

aquarian
07-04-2018, 11:27 PM
I thought so.

Brilliant Black
Deep Black Pearl
Mythos Black Metallic
Phantom Black Pearl

all use the same clear coat. Panther Black Pearl Effect IIRC has a tinted clear coat. I've not worked on a Panther Black but the rest will respond well to Essence if youi use that as a base coat polish. Menzerna's line up was designed for MBZ and works well on BMW and Audi paint too.

I had mine polished to a mirror finish thus it was ultra sensitive to marring. If I were you, I'd re-polish and coat with 2 layers of CQ and put on a layer of Gliss which was designed to resist spotting.

That definitely will be my plan. Too bad Autogeek doesn’t carry Gliss...