PDA

View Full Version : A little experiment, KSG + Porter Cable + D115

Don M
07-04-2018, 03:24 PM
It was too hot to wash the car (89* + 90% humidity) but I had "The Itch" so I broke out some D115 (watered down from 8:1 to about 20:1) and cleaned off my trunk lid and spoiler.

I've been reading up on KSG since I haven't been able to order the Gyeon CanCoat & related goodies to coat my car and the NEED to do something is making me crazier.

Since most sources say to mist the applicator with water or QD, I took a Meg's thin polishing pad and misted it with the watered down D115 (I know, not the best choice since it has a wax/sealant in it), but it's what I have. Then I ran a THIN line around the middle of the pad.

With the PC on about '4' I applied the KSG to my trunk lid and spoiler, moving relatively quickly (compared to a polishing or compounding pass), making sure I spread it as evenly and thinly as possible.

It went on really well and was much thinner and spread out much farther with less product than I could have by hand despite the heat and humidity.

Since there seems to be some discrepancy between waiting and wiping it off immediately, I decided to give it about 30 minutes to 'cure' .... really I just wanted to get in out of the heat for a few minutes. When it was time, I took a clean, dry mf cloth and it buffed off with no issues.

It looks great and it's very smooth, the real test will be to see if the D115 negatively affects the longevity.