PDA

View Full Version : My car wash method seems inefficient...

Pages : [1] 2

steelwindmachine
07-02-2018, 08:42 AM
This past weekend I washed my cars ('05 Forester and '14 Sorento) for the first time in months since winter. I don't have water restrictions and have my own hose/water access.

I had been using the two bucket method with either Meg's Gold Class soap or ONRWW, grit guards and microfiber mitts (one for paint, one for wheels).

I thought I'd try a new method after watching several videos by Scott from Dallas Paint Correction where he advocates simplified wash processes, using less water and letting the products do the work for you:

Spray TRIX on two wheels, let soak for a few minutes and then scrub with a brush and thoroughly rinse. Repeat on the other side.
Rinse down the whole car.
Spray on ONRWW via a 1-gallon pump sprayer at a rinseless wash ratio.
Use Meg's microfiber wash mitt to wipe a section and then rinse with my hose sprayer.
Going panel by panel, wheel by wheel, spray Optiseal as drying aid on and dry with a large microfiber towel. I used a separate, black microfiber towel for the wheels.
Apply Blackfire Onyx tire gel to tires

My interpretation of Scott's methodology didn't seem to feel like I was doing things sensibly. My pump sprayer put out a seemingly slow, but a fine mist of the water/ONRWW mix. I had to go up and down on a step ladder four times to fully clean and then four times again to dry the roof of the Sorento. It all just seemed so slow and stupid. =\

The cars came out seemingly clean and with a nice shine. I didn't even treat the black trim or clean up the exhaust tips. However, for what I did do, it felt like it took ages. My wife was frustrated. She said it wasn't fun and seemed overly complicated. I was able to instruct her on how to help with the drying.

These are outside 24/7 daily drivers, not show cars and have not yet had a paint correction. I'm now planning to do that in the fall after Labor Day.

There are no touchless wash places near me. Any suggestions on how or if I can make this process more efficient, take less time and still get the cars clean and protected?

Buster906
07-02-2018, 08:52 AM
I use a electric pressure washer with a store bought foam cannon. Rinse off the dirt first. Use the foam cannon and let the foam dwell. After rinsing, as the water runs off, I apply the wheel and tire cleaners. After tires and wheels are clean, I use a spray wax as a drying aide and gently dry each panel with a drymeariver microfiber towel. Both vehicles are left with a slick water beading finish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
07-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Look into a WORKS Brand Powershot sprayer that would siphon from a 5gal bucket. Much faster than a 1gal sprayer. You'll use a little more water but it's worth it for the time savings and capability to wash better.

steelwindmachine
07-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Look into a WORKS Brand Powershot sprayer that would siphon from a 5gal bucket. Much faster than a 1gal sprayer. You'll use a little more water but it's worth it for the time savings and capability to wash better.

Do you mean the "Hydroshot"? If so, there is a 20v ($109-120 depending on promo) and 40v ($127-$140 depending on promo) version.

I presume you'd put the ONRWW in the supply bucket?

TTQ B4U
07-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Do you mean the "Hydroshot"? If so, there is a 20v ($109-120 depending on promo) and 40v ($127-$140 depending on promo) version.

I presume you'd put the ONRWW in the supply bucket?

Yes. Sorry. That's the one. I can do two vehicles with one 20v fully charged. I use Wolfgang Uber in mine. Just beware with WG.U. and I'm sure ONR, you keep an eye on the filter in the connection. Standard in-line filter/washer to seal up the connection and prevent debris from entering the gun. What happens to me is sometimes the Rinseless product will clump and clog that screen. Not a big deal, I pop off the quick connect at the point where the hose meets the Hydroshot, spray it with Windex and it flushes out the buggers. Viola, full pressure restored.

Belo
07-02-2018, 09:48 AM
after a good wax seal job in the spring your washes should be easier too. Hoenstly I use a foam gun now, but the 2 bucket method with megs gold, plus dedicated wheel/tire cleaner with a wheel brush is pretty simple, pretty quick and not time consuming. Always done the trick for me. But I'll stress again, a good coating/wax/sealant is what makes it easier throughout the summer.

steelwindmachine
07-02-2018, 09:54 AM
This fall I'm hoping to do a correction and apply Collinite 476 to one car and Finish Kare wax to the other.

I use the Optiseal as a drying aid for the washes and if I have more time, I'll apply it as originally prescribed for more thorough protection.

kb2ehj
07-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Love my WORKS Hydroshot (20v version) - just enough pressure for what I'm trying to accomplish (works great for engines also)

DetailZeus
07-02-2018, 11:38 AM
What's the purpose of spraying ONRWW? If you have a hose and no restrictions I would just hose off the car, 2bm, rinse, and dry with optiseal. If you just like the product then I would hose off the car, use ONRWW in 2bm or GDWM, then dry with optiseal. Either I think is faster and more effective than messing with the garden sprayer.

steelwindmachine
07-02-2018, 12:14 PM
What's the purpose of spraying ONRWW? If you have a hose and no restrictions I would just hose off the car, 2bm, rinse, and dry with optiseal. If you just like the product then I would hose off the car, use ONRWW in 2bm or GDWM, then dry with optiseal. Either I think is faster and more effective than messing with the garden sprayer.

I'm using the ONRWW for it's added wax protection.

I decided to stray from the 2BM since Scott from Dallas Paint Correction essentially proved that it doesn't work unless you use a fresh mitt/towel for the soaping and not rinse anything that goes back into the soap.

Finick
07-02-2018, 02:13 PM
I’d choose to either rinse the car down or do a presoak. I think doing both is unnecessary.

When I wash my car I usually do something like:

-take my garden sprayer with rinseless and presoak half the car at a time. I don’t go crazy doing this, I just want product on the surface.

-take a towel out and clean a panel like Garry dean shows it in his videos. The only thing I’ll do differently is flip my towel as I get to the bottom 1/3 of the car, even if I don’t think it’s that bad.

-Dry off half and move on to the other side. If I’m using something like ONR sometimes I’ll follow it with something like d156.

It doesn’t take me long to clean up my paint. Maybe 15-20 minutes for everything that isn’t my tires/wheels. I usually use the hose for my tires/wheels/wheel wells, which would probably add another 5 minutes per.

A rinseless method really does save time. While I appreciate some of Scott’s videos, I think he does a good job making a simple wash process more complicated than it needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
07-02-2018, 02:57 PM
A rinseless method really does save time. While I appreciate some of Scott’s videos, I think he does a good job making a simple wash process more complicated than it needs to be.

Agree on both accounts. I can do my car from filthy to showroom, wheels included in 1:00 to 1:15, the latter if the wheels are filthy. I think most detailers, more so AMMO than Dallas/Scott make things way way more complicated than they are. I've watched AMMO make a 30 minute video on how to clean a windshield! Painful.

Finick
07-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Sniperooski

Definitely. I think with the rise of all these YouTube detailing personalities, it can often do more harm than good. There’s a good amount of what (I’d consider) fear mongering that gets put out there.

The best thing I’ve ever started doing was just not worrying so much about 100% perfection on my paint. I seldom ever really get marring from a rinseless wash, but I’m never worried about it either way. I trust the product/process/my technique.

I see these crazy elaborate weekly wash regiments, and sometimes I just wonder if all these people posting their elaborate set ups on YouTube does more harm than good.

Does it scare people looking to just keep their car clean and shiny away because they think they need foam cannons and pressure washers, while the next guy says rinseless is fine? A big peeve of mine is that these people have a tremendous reach, and choose to use it to spread misinformation/fear.

It’s the primary reason I cannot stand watching junkman videos. His entire demeanor towards washing amounts to “I’m going to ignore all the evidence this works and bash it anyway.” Not to say I think people shouldn’t share their opinions, but I’m interested in facts more often than how someone feels about a product.

Meanwhile people like Garry dean, Darren from auto fetish detail, and other smaller youtubers get constantly barraged for trying to spread good and useful information on ways to make cleaning your vehicles easier and more convenient. Not going so far down the rabbit hole, as Darren likes to put it.

That’s also why I appreciate Mike Phillips. He’s one of the guys (if not THE guy) out here putting out objective (I don’t believe he’d endorse a product he doesn’t think works, regardless of working at AG) reviews and how to’s. He’ll show you how to waterless wash and then how to use the foam cannon. He’ll show you how to throw on a coating and then demo a traditional paste wax.

Turned into a rant, I guess [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
07-02-2018, 04:03 PM
It’s the primary reason I cannot stand watching junkman videos. His entire demeanor towards washing amounts to “I’m going to ignore all the evidence this works and bash it anyway.” Not to say I think people shouldn’t share their opinions, but I’m interested in facts more often than how someone feels about a product.

Agree. I bantered with him on Youtube over it and stopped only because I realized he wasn't joking and that he seriously is closed minded and just doesn't see Rinseless as a viable method to clean a car. This and a couple other thoughts he's shared left with me giving him a low credibility rating. Some may disagree but that's how I feel.

Meanwhile people like Garry dean, Darren from auto fetish detail, and other smaller youtubers get constantly barraged for trying to spread good and useful information on ways to make cleaning your vehicles easier and more convenient. Not going so far down the rabbit hole, as Darren likes to put it.

That’s also why I appreciate Mike Phillips. He’s one of the guys (if not THE guy) out here putting out objective (I don’t believe he’d endorse a product he doesn’t think works, regardless of working at AG) reviews and how to’s. He’ll show you how to waterless wash and then how to use the foam cannon. He’ll show you how to throw on a coating and then demo a traditional paste wax.

Turned into a rant, I guess [emoji23]

haha! all good.

PaulMys
07-02-2018, 05:13 PM
I agree with Finick on not worrying about every little thing during a wash. Also, good call on the "fear factor" instilled by some on the net. Couldn't agree more.

I'll use a 2 bucket/grit guard/hose off the mitt technique, and when I rinseless wash, about 8-9 towels in the solution. Use one up, and in the dirty bucket it goes......

Never had a problem with either one.

Some of these guys on the net make it sound as if you don't follow their method to a "T", you might as well be taking a street broom and going from your wheel wells right to the paint, then drying it off with sandpaper.

I call BS. :props: