PDA

View Full Version : How to fix/hide buffer burns on plastic trim?

iroc86
06-30-2018, 07:47 AM
I'm curious if anyone has tips for fixing or hiding buffer "burn" marks on plastic trim. I recently took delivery of a new car and noticed a pretty conspicuous mark on the plastic fender cladding, most likely caused by the dealership during delivery prep. It's clearly from a rotary buffer. I probably should have said something when I picked up the car, but it's too late for that. So, short of replacing the trim piece, I'm looking for a way to hide or at least tone down the blemish.

I've tried a variety of my go-to dressings, such as 303 Trim Restorer, 303 UV Protectant, and Meguiar's Hyper Dressing, but they don't really have an effect because the plastic itself is discolored. I'm also afraid to apply a polish because the rest of the trim is a satin finish. Any ideas would be appreciated!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/922/43057364672_ae3a1c193c_c.jpg

supercharged75
06-30-2018, 07:54 AM
If you just got it take it back to the dealer. See if they will make it right. If not and it's new maybe price out a new part. Otherwise I'd use solution finish on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Machine154
06-30-2018, 08:12 AM
If you run out of other ideas, you might try a heat gun on it (carefully). I’ve seen improvements on discolored trim from deformation this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cosmin
06-30-2018, 02:33 PM
use some eraser to get out all the polish paste from the texture , stoner trim shine spray - give that a try

Ebg18t
06-30-2018, 05:17 PM
If you run out of other ideas, you might try a heat gun on it (carefully). I’ve seen improvements on discolored trim from deformation this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used this method before and it works. Just be careful getting it to hot.

PA DETAILER
06-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Give this a shot...

Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (https://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html)

Or being NEW, have them deal with it and replace that piece.

PaulMys
06-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Being that it's a brand new car, I'd have them replace it immediately.

It should have never been turned over to you in that condition.

And like you said, you should have brought that to their attention the second you noticed it.

iroc86
06-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Glad to have some options here! I'll report back when I've had a chance to try out some of the ideas.

As much as I'd like to have the dealership fix this, I don't think it's going to happen. I bought this car from out of state (due to a lack of availability in my area) and it arrived absolutely filthy on the car hauler. I couldn't do a very good inspection, so I pretty much had to accept the vehicle as-is... and as a result, my opportunity for having recourse basically evaporated. The dealer already replaced about $400 worth of other missing and/or damaged parts (due to transport) at their own cost, so I doubt they're going to bite on helping me with a $170 piece of plastic, especially since I'm out of sight and out of mind. It sucks, but I feel like I had to pick my battle with getting the other parts replaced or this one.

rlmccarty2000
06-30-2018, 09:59 PM
Solution Finish first, then if that’s a no-go try the heat gun. Solution Finish will probably work though.