PDA

View Full Version : McKee's Paint Coating v2 question

Pages : [1] 2

AZpolisher15
06-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Is there any reason to do two coats of the coating to ensure an even application? And if so, how much time between coats? I'm about to try it for the first time.

Bruno Soares
06-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Nick has said that their coating was designed to be a single coat and that in this case more is not better.

Maxreed241
06-30-2018, 08:43 AM
I recently put one coat of the new paint coating on my daily driver and it looks darn nice. Water beads like a champ. [emoji106] I think one coat is all you need.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Yup
Just applied mine yesterday. I used v1 before ehh not bad, but I did like the v2 more-so. I did have more high spots this time, but I liked it more than v1 overall. I used Carpro suedes and the larger Carpro suedes to buff off. Today , truck feels smooth and repelling dust well it seems too.

I applied it and then once done, buffed it off. No dwell, or flashing.

Oh and one coat only, per Nick.

AZpolisher15
06-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Thanks much, guys. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Did you guys apply "wet"? Seems I recall nick in a video recommending to apply heavy and then wipe it off.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-30-2018, 01:02 PM
That was what I just talked with Nick about yesterday. I never knew he came out with a video showing the application of the V2. All in all, I told him how I did it and he still said just leave it as it. He didnt get back to me in terms of if I did something wrong etc. What I did was primed the Carpro suede with several drops, did a line across the panel and then pulled downward ( from that first line ) to fill the panel, if that makes sense. Once I was down, I buffed until the oily looking coating was gone. My truck is very dark blue, and it looks like an oil slick on the paint, so it was pretty easy to see when removing the coating.

Maxreed241
06-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Thanks much, guys. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Did you guys apply "wet"? Seems I recall nick in a video recommending to apply heavy and then wipe it off.

I applied pretty heavy. My car is silver so it’s hard to see and I don’t like skimping on this product because I feel like the applicator was skipping and too dry.

MrOneEyedBoh
07-01-2018, 08:08 AM
I applied pretty heavy. My car is silver so it’s hard to see and I don’t like skimping on this product because I feel like the applicator was skipping and too dry.Yes,
That was a common thing I came across when using the lake country yellow wedge applicator. It would squeak and chatter when dry, the carpro suedes were perfect

Calendyr
07-02-2018, 03:52 AM
Ya I found out that more is not better the hard way last week,

I have 2 bottles of paint coating in my arsenal. When I went to apply the coating to my client's Jaguar both sprayers were clogged up and did not work. I tried to use a syringe but that was clogged up too ;(

So I just removed the sprayer and applied the coating to my appicator micro suede by pressing the bottle against it, wetting a spot and repeating for the lenght of the applicator (about 4 or 5 dabs).

Product went on heavy but my experience with McKee's coating has always been MORE IS BETTER.

Then when I tried to wipe it off, wow, super sticky and super hard to level.

So the V2 is a completelly different beast. Have to go to the dollar store to get some sprayers before my next coating job this week. Not sure why the new product clogs the sprayers but I will have to remember to rinse them off after each job now, something I never had to do with V1.

TTQ B4U
07-02-2018, 06:36 AM
So the V2 is a completelly different beast. Have to go to the dollar store to get some sprayers before my next coating job this week. Not sure why the new product clogs the sprayers but I will have to remember to rinse them off after each job now, something I never had to do with V1.

If you have any empty CarPro or other coating manufacturers bottles with the dropper built in, just clean them out with solvent let them dry and pour your McKee's v2 in there. I use old Gyeon Mohs bottles with the built in dispenser for my McKee's.

MrOneEyedBoh
07-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Thats what I do. I bought them on ebay. They're called Boston Rounds with a EURO dripper/dropper. Thats the key. That Euro dripper.... the 60ml almost fit the whole bottle, but its good enough. You dont use much of the stuff anyway.

Bruno Soares
07-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Thats what I do. I bought them on ebay. They're called Boston Rounds with a EURO dripper/dropper. Thats the key. That Euro dripper.... the 60ml almost fit the whole bottle, but its good enough. You dont use much of the stuff anyway.

Thanks, I just ordered one of those to try.

AZpolisher15
07-02-2018, 10:38 PM
So you guys are putting drops on the applicator to apply rather than spritzing on the paint surface?

TTQ B4U
07-02-2018, 11:12 PM
So you guys are putting drops on the applicator to apply rather than spritzing on the paint surface?

Yes. I never spray any type of coating product like this or CanCoat directly on the paint as there will be an atomization of it across a larger area and it's imperative that the surface be leveled perfectly or those atomized areas will show.

Calendyr
07-02-2018, 11:13 PM

Yes. Spraying the paint surface is the worst way to use this product. I am not sure about quantities for V2 but for V1, I used to spray 5 times directly on the applicator (sprayer touching the micro suede to prevent overspray as much as possible) and the wipe the panel. When you feel the applicator starting to grip and drag, add more product. When you do it that way, McKee's PC is a charm to work with.

Someone I know is coaxing me to try Geyon EXO as a 2 year coating. I have my reservations, I really like McKee's. But I will try it at the same time as I try Crystall Serum Light. Seems like EXO is more expensive, being almost twice the price of McKee's and only having enough to do 2 or 3 cars per bottle as opposed to about 5 with McKee's. But it's still relativelly inexpensive compared to the price of the coating job, 10 or 20$ more on cost is not gonna change much for me.

I will try a dropper on the bottle. I have a few from the dollar store, so I can see if I like that better (probably will).