PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mike Phillips, I want to pick your brain...

WRAPT C5Z06
06-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Which combo do you think would have more cut? Sonax Perfect Finish on a Rupes Green Pad, or Sonax Cut & Finish on a Rupes Yellow Pad? Everything else being equal.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

Mike Phillips
06-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Not sure off hand but

Cut and Finish has a cut of 5 and polishes out to a gloss of 5

Perfect Finish has cut of 4 and finishes out at a gloss of 6

So going by what SONAX says about these two products I'd have to say the Perfect Finish would have more cut.

Most people don't know this but Perfect Finish is actually formulated for and intended for use with a rotary buffer. I use it with orbitals and it seems to work just fine.

Paint hardness or softness is actually a HUGE variable anytime you're abrading the surface.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
06-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Not sure off hand but

Cut and Finish has a cut of 5 and polishes out to a gloss of 5

Perfect Finish has cut of 4 and finishes out at a gloss of 6

So going by what SONAX says about these two products I'd have to say the Perfect Finish would have more cut.

Most people don't know this but Perfect Finish is actually formulated for and intended for use with a rotary buffer. I use it with orbitals and it seems to work just fine.

Paint hardness or softness is actually a HUGE variable anytime you're abrading the surface.

:)I'm sure you meant Cut & Finish has more cut. Was just curious if you felt the slight difference in cut rating would overcome the difference in pad aggressiveness between Rupes Green and yellow. I have Cutmax and Perfect Finish and love using them both with the 3401 and long throw DA's. If I needed a bit more bite than PF/Rupes yellow, I was trying to decide to go with Rupes Green pads or picking up Cut & Finish and still use Rupes Yellow pads. I decided to go with Cut & Finish.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Rsurfer
06-29-2018, 03:13 PM
I'm sure you meant Cut & Finish has more cut. Was just curious if you felt the slight difference in cut rating would overcome the difference in pad aggressiveness between Rupes Green and yellow. I have Cutmax and Perfect Finish and love using them both with the 3401 and long throw DA's. If I needed a bit more bite than PF/Rupes yellow, I was trying to decide to go with Rupes Green pads or picking up Cut & Finish and still use Rupes Yellow pads. I decided to go with Cut & Finish.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Have you tried the Rupes wool pads?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Have you tried the Rupes wool pads?
Yes, I have both coarse and medium that I've used on the 3401, 15 and 21. I do not like the feel of either wool pad on the 15 and 21. They feel grabby and wobbly, IMO. MF pads are much smoother. With the 3401, the medium wool pads feel great and perform well. Don't like the feel of the coarse wool, however.