PDA

View Full Version : Pros: Does your detail include cleaning the engine compartment?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sudsmobile
06-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Just taking a little informal survey. Thanks in advance.

TMQ
06-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Nope...That's additional and separate cost.

I have that service listed. Will do under hood work if customer wants it.

Tom

mk9750
06-28-2018, 07:45 PM
I have it listed as an extra service. Won't use water - Only degreaser and trim dressing. I do include it when I doing cars for my family.

sudsmobile
06-28-2018, 07:56 PM
A little background. We just got home from doing a job for a local foreign auto repair shop. Full interior and exterior detail on a 2011 Toyota Tundra. I was contacted yesterday by a woman on behalf of the owner. I made her an appointment. Today we show up, she's not there, the owner is not there, the other woman working in the shop doesn't really know anything about it. She finally digs up the keys and says "well I guess you guys know what needs to be done." We worked on this thing for four hours. The interior came out fantastic. The exterior was mostly good but hammered in some spots. Rust already starting in the rock chips of the hood, bug splatter etched the front bumper all the way across. Stuff like that that you'd expect on a not well maintained 7 year old truck. We did the best we could to make it nice. I noticed the headlights were terrible and we offered to do those at the same time. The owner said "go for it." They came out great, looking new. The entire vehicle actually looked pretty good. We get paid, again the owner is not there, the woman has to round up the cash to pay us. She tells us "it looks great, you guys really do good work." The owner was basically in and out the entire time we were there, even came out and talked to us a few times. Two hours later, the woman calls and says "This is so and so from So and So foreign Auto. The boss ISN'T HAPPY AT ALL with the detail." I was like "wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I've never had a single customer complain about the quality of our work. Do you mind if I ask you what he was unhappy about?" She says "You didn't clean the hood." I said "We did clean, clay and wax the hood. The spots you see are rock chips that have started rusting." She says "well, he lifted up the hood and it was super dirty under there and there was rat poop all over the place." I said "Oh, you mean the engine compartment. No we didn't clean the engine compartment because that's not included in our detail. I mean we will do it if the customer wants us to, but frankly, hardly anybody ever wants it done." She says "OH, REALLY?" like she didn't believe me. I said "Ma'am, our full list of services and prices is on our website. If you go to our website, you will plainly see engine compartment cleaning offered as an add on to every type job, at an added cost. I'm really sorry about this though. It was never brought up once that anybody wanted the engine compartment cleaned."

The woman was extremely rude to me with her tone and if they ever grace me with another phone call to do work for them again, I'll be politely declining.

TMQ
06-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Damn if you do and damn if you don't...

Sorry about that. You've done all you can do. Even made it clear on your website.

And we are all behind you on this one!

I'll just brush this one off and decline the next time they ask you.

Tom

sudsmobile
06-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Thanks Tom. It just really bothers me that somebody is not happy, first time it's ever happened and I'm not handling it well.

As an aside, here's the headlights on that vehicle.

https://i.imgur.com/9vxbf7W.jpg

DaveT435
06-28-2018, 09:02 PM
Thanks Tom. It just really bothers me that somebody is not happy, first time it's ever happened and I'm not handling it well.

As an aside, here's the headlights on that vehicle.

https://i.imgur.com/9vxbf7W.jpg

You can't please all the people all the time...fact. Something you can do is go over exactly what you are doing with someone before you start. She was probably that way because the boss probably came down on her because she paid you without checking the work, or was just an JA to her about the situation.

sudsmobile
06-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Good point. The issue arose because the scope of the work was never clearly defined to the customer, although it is defined in print on our site.

Paul A.
06-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Engine and headlights are a la carte type services for me. I rarely get engines but do upsell quite a few headlights.

TMQ
06-28-2018, 11:01 PM
Hummm...A JA alright. Boss didn't have the nerve to tell you. A guy that uses another person to vent is not the type of people you'll want to deal with.

A red flag would pop up for me if someone was avoiding discussing directly with me about a task. I would tread carefully in those types of situations.

Untrustworthy...

Tom

TTQ B4U
06-29-2018, 12:30 AM
Nope. As others here, I don't include it and honestly I don't even list engine detailing as an option. I've had people ask but it's just not an area that I want to mess around with. I'm working out of my home and while I'm handy with a wrench, to me it's about liability. Same with Wheels-Off Details. I just don't as it's not worth it should something go wrong or become an issue. I do a lot of cars that are 5-20 years old and the last thing I need is to leave the door open that I perhaps could have done something to cause a malfunction. I have plenty of business and I can afford to say no to nasty engine bays and interiors.

showbbq
06-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Well that definitely isn't your fault, and it sounds like you handled it well.

sudsmobile
06-29-2018, 08:01 AM
Engine and headlights are a la carte type services for me. I rarely get engines but do upsell quite a few headlights.

Engine and headlights are both ala carte items and we charged him for the headlights. In fact, I don't even offer either of those services without some kind of wash minimum. I'm not going to show up and get the car wet and dirty without cleaning the car too.

Dan Tran
06-29-2018, 08:47 AM
I don’t advertise engine detailing because no one has ever asked for it.

That sucks!

Dan Tran
The Buffing Moose Detailing (http://www.thebuffingmoose.com)

sudsmobile
06-29-2018, 03:46 PM
In the least surprising turn of events ever, he had the original lady that scheduled the appointment call and complain again this morning. I talked to her for about 10 minutes. She basically apologized 3 times for calling and said that she was "just doing what she was told." It didn't sound like this was the first time he told her to do something like this. She seemed almost embarrassed about calling. I told her I'm sorry your boss is upset, maybe he should call me directly. I suddenly remembered why I'll never do dealer work. I'd imagine it will go exactly like this. What, you guys can't turn back the hands of time for $250?