PDA

View Full Version : Finally grabbed a Rupes Mark II 21mm

Justin at Final Inspection
06-28-2018, 01:46 PM
So the other day during heavy cutting with my BOSS 21mm I noticed it started running rough/vibrating. After looking it over I saw that the whole counter weight assembly had some play in it to where I could move it back and fourth. So with the awesome Griots warranty I sent it out and they will be sending me a new one. No complaints here at all. Anyone who has followed me has known I purchased that tool shortly after there release and have been hammering on it since September of 2015.

Now with all of my other machines I have I don't have a back up 21mm. And the next vehicle coming in I knew I would need one. So I finally grabbed a Rupes 21mm Mark II and got the 5in plate for it.

I have got some use with it and first impressions are its definitely smooth. It also seems quieter than other machines. Maybe its just me lol. Also the one thing that really stood out is that I don't need to run it turned up at all for it to correct like crazy. Speed 3.5/4 with a microfiber cutting pad is all that's needed. I did turn it up for a few passes and could tell I was sending a huge amount of heat into the pad.

I would say the only little nit picky thing is the trigger lock seems a bit trickier to use. But that could just be me lol.

https://i.imgur.com/RcnXTza.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kFVysIv.jpg

fly07sti
06-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Right on man. I recently bought a BOSS 21 with a 5” BP and it’s been nice. Dare I say nicer than my MKII 15 with the Kamikaze BP.

06-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Right on man. I recently bought a BOSS 21 with a 5” BP and it’s been nice. Dare I say nicer than my MKII 15 with the Kamikaze BP.

Yeah I like the grips on G21 a bit more but both are very nice. Tough choice lol

TMQ
06-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Thinking of getting rid of my Rupes and going all in with Griots...

My 15 Mark II is at the "shop". Needed carbon brush, rubber shroud, upper handle, eccentric shaft, bearings, electronic module, motor housing. I only had it for a year and 3 months. I was 3 months out of warranty period and had to pay 160 to get it fixed!

Me thinks I'll give Griots a try...

Tom

PaulMys
06-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Thinking of getting rid of my Rupes and going all in with Griots...

My 15 Mark II is at the "shop". Needed carbon brush, rubber shroud, upper handle, eccentric shaft, bearings, electronic module, motor housing. I only had it for a year and 3 months. I was 3 months out of warranty period and had to pay 160 to get it fixed!

Me thinks I'll give Griots a try...

Tom

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that, Tom. 15 months old, and the entire machine went to hell?

Well, at least the Griot's machines are guaranteed, and they stand behind all their products with awesome customer service. :props:

TMQ
06-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Believe it or not---dang thing (rupes) kept churning out great results. Just that it stalled so badly that I was thinking of getting a Mille.

Only reason I sent it out it was starting to make a rattling sound and they (Rupes) found bunch of other stuff as well. I didn't realize how bad my Rupes was once I pulled out the Griots 6" for something else. That thing ate up swirls far, far better than the Rupes. Last year---it was the opposite. Rupes 15 killed swirls while Griot 6 was ok.

Had no idea my Rupes was "sick".

Even when the Rupes was "sick", I still manage to produce results that people thought I walked on water!!

Rupes is a dang good tool---just surprised that it gone out on me so soon!

Tom

06-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that, Tom. 15 months old, and the entire machine went to hell?

Well, at least the Griot's machines are guaranteed, and they stand behind all their products with awesome customer service. :props:

Exactly. The only reason I grabbed a Mark 2 is because I needed a 21mm for a job and couldn't be without one. Figured I would give the Mark 2 a shot. My Duetto is a work horse and gets as much if not more use then my other machines. That being said I feel your frustrations. I had some issues with my Ibrid but they took care of me no problem.

TMQ
06-28-2018, 07:22 PM
To be fair...Rupes did say that if certain things were a problem---they would cover it even tho it was past the warranty date.

They did try to help out...

Tom