PDA

View Full Version : Best Glass Coating?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Belo
06-28-2018, 10:28 AM
I've always used rainx and generally don't have an issue. Sometimes I see some fogging but it's rare and I notice it also can be noisy with my wipers. It doesn't last more than a month really and I've been in search of a longer lasting replacement.

None of the coatings in the store seem to get universally good ratings, aquapel maybe the longest lasting, but expensive considering only single use applicator.

thoughts?

Ebg18t
06-28-2018, 11:49 AM
I’ve been happy with the PBL Glass coating. Easy to use and holds up well.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating (https://www.autogeek.net/diamond-glass-coating.html)

Route246
06-28-2018, 01:45 PM
I use McKee's but I also prep the glass thoroughly. I use clay and Griots polish and McKees Glass Restorer (using DA) prior to McKees Glass Coating. Once I stopped cutting corners and did a thorough job the coating has been really good. If your glass has any flaws whatsoever any coating is going to be disappointing in my experience.

Belo
06-28-2018, 03:13 PM
I use McKee's but I also prep the glass thoroughly. I use clay and Griots polish and McKees Glass Restorer (using DA) prior to McKees Glass Coating. Once I stopped cutting corners and did a thorough job the coating has been really good. If your glass has any flaws whatsoever any coating is going to be disappointing in my experience.

that's good advice. I'm already planning on getting some polish as I've never polished my windows... and honestly they look great so I never bothered. Claying them too is now taking it to another level haha. What a disease this is...

DaveT435
06-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Optimum Ooti-glass has been the best for me. 6-12 months depending on climate, maybe longer. Optimum actually has a glass cleaner which adds to the protection also. Actually I believe if you use the cleaner on a regular basis it will give you good protection on its own.

acuRAS82
06-28-2018, 03:31 PM
I agree with everything above. Clay, polish with something like McKee’s Glass Restorer and use the PBL Glass Coating. Then forget about your windows other than basic cleaning for a long time.

Washmitt
06-28-2018, 03:41 PM
I have the Gyeon View on one car and the Dr Beasley’s pro glass coat on another. Prep is key with any coating for sure. I don’t like that Gyeon requires that you put some product on your wiper blades....what if you change them out but have no more product? Stuck with skipping wipers I guess. The Dr Beasley’s is good, in action it acts like rainX but better. Dr Beasley’s also has a maintenance product that goes into your washer fluid reservoir which helps keep the coating fresh. I like that part of that one.

AZpolisher15
06-28-2018, 04:01 PM
I've gotten a year out of Aquapel when applied with good prep. That makes the cost seem pretty reasonable to me.

Pats300zx
06-28-2018, 04:36 PM
I have had great results with McKees37 Glass Coating. As others have stated I always clay and prep with McKees37 Coating Prep Polish.

The Guz
06-28-2018, 05:27 PM
For ease of use go with McKee's. Optimum is good but requires a little more work when removing. Not to mention it eats foam pads even after they are cleaned. It will perform a bit better than McKee's.

CarPro FlybyForte is also straight forward to use. Apply and let it flash off. No need to buff off any residue.

PaulMys
06-28-2018, 05:40 PM
that's good advice. I'm already planning on getting some polish as I've never polished my windows... and honestly they look great so I never bothered. Claying them too is now taking it to another level haha. What a disease this is...

Once you machine polish your glass, you'll never go back.

MarkD51
06-28-2018, 05:41 PM
I knocked my brains out with Aquapel, not once, but twice. I shake my head in disbelief when I hear a year, I don't think I got a month when I lived in NM.

Do I want to do 40 minutes prep with 2-4 products on outer glass every time and prior to using a rain repellant? Hell no, that's just crazy IMO.

I haven't tried them all, and I'd suspect Optimum, and the PBMG Products are pretty good, but as I look at it, you'll spend your money, roll the dice, and take the chances.

I figure like this:

Am I gonna beat my brains out and empty the wallet with uber expensive products that I "might" get an extra week or two of rain repellency from, but also pay 1-1/2 to 2 times more money to get such? I don't think so.

With Rain-X, my go to, I don't have to kill myself with prep, I just simply clean the glass first before applying. For outer Glass I don't get too anal on a product prior to coating.

I come behind with Rain-X, massage it in good, let haze a good 10 minutes or so, then come behind with a couple water dampened MF Towels to remove haze, then finish with a dry MF Towel.

I also wipe clean all Wiper Blades and treat with something or other, Reload, WG WETS, GTechniq CV2V3, along those lines, and have no problems with wiper chatter.

I think two of the common problems with wiper chatter are dirt cheap Blades, and a later depositing of road grimes. When buying blade replacements, here's where you shouldn't skimp.

I like this product for many reasons, easy to get, dirt cheap per application, and basically foolproof.

I'll never in my life buy Aquapel again, personally I think it's a way overpriced product that worked no better, and I'm not that rich a man to toss money to the wind on such a product, for how little an applicator covers.

Route246
06-28-2018, 05:47 PM
The test is whether or not you can turn your wipers off above 35 mph in the rain. Rain-X doesn't allow this in my experience. I've used McKee's and I can often turn off the wipers in light rain while on the highway. You can't turn them off in a downpour but with light rain the beads just blow off.

MarkD51
06-28-2018, 07:14 PM
The test is whether or not you can turn your wipers off above 35 mph in the rain. Rain-X doesn't allow this in my experience. I've used McKee's and I can often turn off the wipers in light rain while on the highway. You can't turn them off in a downpour but with light rain the beads just blow off.

With all of them, of course the faster you go, the better they work.

Rake angle of the glass plays a part to a point, and the type of rain. A fine mist drizzle will not clear as quickly as a torrential downpour.

In any case, and not using the wipers, you surely aren't going to have perfect clear vision, but Rain-X surely hands down beats no rain repellant at all.

UncleDavy
06-28-2018, 09:58 PM
I use RainX on the company car and it works pretty well after the initial application. However it does leaves smears if the windshield wipers are used at night time and it only seems to last for a month. I applied Aquapel on the wife's Buick and it is a superb product. It can be difficult to work with but if the surface is cleaned properly and the product is applied properly, it will yield great results. You have to work fast with Aquapel as it flashes quickly. The directions say that you should use a paper towel to remove the product but a microfiber towel is a better choice. Paper towels grab and they can scratch the glass. I applied Aquapel in February and it is performing today as if it was brand new. It does require a temperature of 50 degrees or more during the application.