PDA

View Full Version : Polisher Upgrade from Porter Cable

Pages : [1] 2

flakpyro
06-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Two years ago i bought my first machine polisher a PC 7424XP, it has served me well but its very fatiguing to use both in terms of vibration and noise levels and just overall how long it takes to correct a vehicle. I have been using it with CG Hex logic pads, being in Canada access to certain products isnt always as easy as i wish it was!

I am looking to upgrade from this machine and was thinking of keeping it around was a 3 inch backing plate for smaller jobs. Looking at options it seems like a 15mm longer throw machine might be a good all round upgrade. Would i still be able to use the same 5.5. inch pads i have now or would i need to upgrade to "Long throw" pads of some sort?

I have been looking at the Adams Swirl killer and the Griots boss 15, the Griots is quite a bit more expensive here in Canada (Almost 200 CDN more), and i am only doing my own, friends and families vehicles. Does anyone have any feedback on the adams polisher? I am open to other suggestions as well!

Thanks!

JCDetails
06-26-2018, 03:11 PM
The BOSS is a great machine, and what I currently use. I'd recommend it highly. While still a made-in-china piece, Griot's has them built to their standards and the warranty alone is worth the extra cost.

I'm not a big fan of the Adams machine. It's a chinese rupes clone, but with a higher price than the other clones. If cost is a concern you may want to look into a Maxshine 'the master' 15 or 21 which is essentially a griot's clone for less money.

A 15mm is a great upgrade from the 7424xp and at least for the G15 which is the only one I can really speak for, it runs very smooth and the noise isn't bad at all.

The hex logic pads are OK and will work with the 15mm long throw, but there are much better pad options out there.

Eric@CherryOnTop
06-26-2018, 07:38 PM
If the vibration and noise are your biggest pet peeves with your Porter Cable then I would go with a Rupes machine and stick to using Rupes brand pads. They are engineered together to have the best balance and minimize vibration. I use my Rupes 15 with non-Rupes pads most of the time, but there is a real world difference in vibration when I use a Rupes brand pad.

The Griots Garage machine is the same deal. It's a reverse-engineered Rupes essentially but they offer all of their tools with a lifetime warranty which is nice.

I've had a Griots G21 for 2 years which sees occasional use on larger vehicles but most of the time I'm using my Rupes 15. I've had that for significantly longer and it never even gives me a hiccup. They are truly quality built machines, and like most things, you get what you pay for. You can use the 5.5" pads on a Rupes 15 no problem, but be prepared for a little bit of extra vibration.

PaulMys
06-26-2018, 07:44 PM
I agree on the fact that the PC will take longer to correct, but noise & vibration?

My PC is a pleasure to use. I don't find it noisy or overly vibrating at all.

Same goes with my GG6. JMO

dlc95
06-26-2018, 09:02 PM
I agree on the fact that the PC will take longer to correct, but noise & vibration?

My PC is a pleasure to use. I don't find it noisy or overly vibrating at all.

Same goes with my GG6. JMO

Same here.

The only time I experience a lot of vibration is when using 6" pads on speed 6.

FUNX650
06-26-2018, 09:25 PM
i bought my first machine polisher a
PC 7424XP, it has served me well but

its very fatiguing to use both in terms
of vibration and noise levels

and just overall
how long it takes to correct a vehicle.

IMO:
Upgrading to the following polishers will
serve to eliminate most— if not all—of
the above issues:

•Flex XC 3401 VRG DA Orbital Polisher
•FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher

Then, later on down the line, the:
FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher
will be a perfect accompaniment.

Bob

VISITOR
06-26-2018, 09:47 PM
AG still has this promotion going on (post #26)... :xyxthumbs:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/griot-s-garage-polishers-boss-6-da-3-da/111412-griots-garage-boss-g15-g21-long-throw-orbital-polisher-free-bonus-limited-time-promotion.html?highlight=garage+promotion

flakpyro
06-26-2018, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I guess i should maybe rephrase the vibration thing. Its not that it vibrates too much, doing a few panels is fine but that after correcting a whole vehicle my arms are pretty worn out! I get good results, but just hoping that upgrading to a longer throw would allow me to achieve these results in less time.

Both the Flex XC 3401 and Boss 15 are priced similarly in Canada, (around 500 CDN), I may end up having spend the extra 200 over the Adams machine if everyone thinks its worth it, as i do plan to keep this thing a long time. I see AG does ship to Canada so that promotion is something i will have to keep in mind, it basically equals the shipping costs.

VISITOR
06-27-2018, 01:45 AM
whatever one you choose (flex 3401 or G15/21) you'll be happy with either and it will be money well spent...:xyxthumbs:

Belo
06-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Same here.

The only time I experience a lot of vibration is when using 6" pads on speed 6.

x3. vibration seems minimal for what the tool is. And I have music playing anyhow... how could you detail without tunes? :)

derass
06-27-2018, 09:44 AM
While I don't own either (yet), I had the opportunity to test drive both the FLEX 3401 and RUPES LHR15 MarkII back to back on a hood at a Sonax tradeshow booth recently, and I must say the operation of the RUPES was much more smooth.

I think the forced rotation of the FLEX plays a part in that. It seemed to pull itself around the panel, requiring more effort to control. But I suppose that's the trade-off for it correcting faster (from what I understand).

So I think since I only work on my own vehicles, which are in pretty good shape and don't need lots of correcting power, I would chose the RUPES to upgrade from my current PC7424XP.

dennis hiip
06-27-2018, 12:56 PM
I have the SK, and I like it a lot. I can only compare it to my old GG6 and it's an improvement over the GG6. I think that it's the way to go if you're not a full time detailer. Sounds like the Maxshine may be even better. Read the Amazon reviews.

JCDetails
06-29-2018, 10:33 AM
The Flex is a beast of a machine and I would not put it anywhere near the same user experience as a Rupes LHR or Griot's BOSS.

I actually just shipped my G15 back to Griot's to exchange for a G21 which I plan to continue using with the 5" plate and pads. Just want a little more 'horsepower' on the big machine since I'm backing it up with a Rupes Mini for 3" work and a Nano for 1" and 2" work.

BudgetPlan1
06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
The Flex is a beast of a machine and I would not put it anywhere near the same user experience as a Rupes LHR or Griot's BOSS.

I actually just shipped my G15 back to Griot's to exchange for a G21 which I plan to continue using with the 5" plate and pads. Just want a little more 'horsepower' on the big machine since I'm backing it up with a Rupes Mini for 3" work and a Nano for 1" and 2" work.

Yep, especially with 6.5" pads the Flex can be quite a workout after 6hrs. On the other hand, once you climb on that thing it just gets the job done...just keeps on keepin' on. Rupes 15 is smooth as butter but requires technique. Current favorite is the horizontalBOSS 21, ergonomics preferable to Rupes (for me) as is progressive trigger. On large, flat surfaces like hood, roof and trunk, the BOSS21 w/ 6.5" pad just eats up real estate, a real time saver.

Just wanna wade on in and get the job done? Flex 3401. Wanna enjoy getting the job done? Rupes or BOSS.

JCDetails
07-13-2018, 08:27 AM
I also feel like the Duetto doesn't get much love either, and it's a hell of an upgrade over a PC or GG6. 12mm orbit in a smaller body tool is something to be reckoned with, if that's your preference. I know a lot of people prefer the smaller tools. I myself have huge hands and long arms so I prefer the long body tools a la LHR/BOSS.

Andy Ward (Proficient X) has a modded one with a 6" plate and uses 7" rupes pads on it. Frankenstein of a thing but gets the job done.