PDA

View Full Version : Ibrid Nano

skipper1
06-25-2018, 05:42 PM
My new Rupes Ibrid Nano arrives Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it. Been wanting one since they came out. My question, has anyone cut down an interface pad and sanding discs for for the 2" backing plate? I've been thinking about this and thought I'd see if anyone has already done it and if it works OK. Also, what was the process of cutting them down.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Bought an ibrid and sold it a week later. Hope you like it!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PaulMys
06-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Bought an ibrid and sold it a week later. Hope you like it!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Why'd you sell it after a week?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Why'd you sell it after a week?Power is not there. Also, a 12mm throw with such small pads is counter productive. 5mm or 8mm makes much more sense. Not sure why I bought it in the first place.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Actually, there is rotary mode which works much better, but still, I feel it's severely overpriced.

TTQ B4U
06-25-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm with him on this. I find the 12mm orbit useless as it will stall just looking at it. I use it as a rotary for wheels but that's about it. I feel I got ripped off on this one. With a forced rotation unit I can polish just about anywhere so I dont break out the nano for small borrow places I just power through them with the flex

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Ripped off is right! That's why I sold it right away. Got back most of the most of the money, but still lost some.

skipper1
06-26-2018, 06:07 AM
Thank you for the high jack!

TTQ B4U
06-26-2018, 06:20 AM
In direct answer to your question about sanding, the Nano is not good for that. IMO if you're looking to use it to do headlights or what not, best to get a 3M Kit with the foam backing and adhesives pads for your electric drill. Keep in mind too the Nano splatters like crazy. Go light on any polish and I always where eye protection.

skipper1
06-26-2018, 06:39 AM
Maybe this high-jack was a blessing in disguise. I think I’ll refuse the package tomorrow and contact Autogeek about a refund.

TTQ B4U
06-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Maybe this high-jack was a blessing in disguise. I think I’ll refuse the package tomorrow and contact Autogeek about a refund.

our intentions are good. always good to have real-world thoughts. I know many here love theirs but mileage varies everywhere. for me if it wasn't so prone to stall I'd use it more. The insight given to me on it's use was that it doesn't require much pressure and that helps but it's such a PIA to manage holding it I find myself spending more time keeping it from stalling than actually getting the job done. Then where I find it's size most useful, the power is just not there and the ability to keep it perfectly flat isn't there so again, it stalls. Used as a rotary it's great. I'll do that around tight areas and just clean up any holograms or what not with the big buffer after. Case in point, around rear license plates where the resessed areas are always dirty. The Nano can clean them out and make them look new then just pushing the larger buffer in there removes the holograms.

If I had to do it all over gain, I would just get a smaller rotary and mount 3" pads on it.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-26-2018, 08:50 AM
our intentions are good. always good to have real-world thoughts. I know many here love theirs but mileage varies everywhere. for me if it wasn't so prone to stall I'd use it more. The insight given to me on it's use was that it doesn't require much pressure and that helps but it's such a PIA to manage holding it I find myself spending more time keeping it from stalling than actually getting the job done. Then where I find it's size most useful, the power is just not there and the ability to keep it perfectly flat isn't there so again, it stalls. Used as a rotary it's great. I'll do that around tight areas and just clean up any holograms or what not with the big buffer after. Case in point, around rear license plates where the resessed areas are always dirty. The Nano can clean them out and make them look new then just pushing the larger buffer in there removes the holograms.

If I had to do it all over gain, I would just get a smaller rotary and mount 3" pads on it.
Perfect analysis.

skipper1
06-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Sorry guys, I over reacted. This morning I was expecting a couple of answers to my question but instead saw what I saw. I've always had trouble with a DA and keeping it spinning, that's why I got the 3401 and last year got the PE-14. My whole complaint is I live in an apartment and every time I want to do some work, I have to throw a 100' extension out the window and carry everything down. I really want to cut the cord, but like you say, it ain't got the power. Thanks to both of you for the real world experience.