PDA

View Full Version : Need a LIGHT polish to prep my paint for CanCoat

Don M
06-25-2018, 10:12 AM
I believe I still have some Meg's Ult Polish, but for good or bad in this case, it contains a lot of oils that will need removed before I can apply the CanCoat (READ: I'll probably need to use a LOT of Gyeon Prep to remove it all).

Is there a better option? My black Camaro only needs a very light touch up polish to remove the current LSP and some very light swirls. What would be a better option for a prep polish?

TTQ B4U
06-25-2018, 10:24 AM
You won't need a lot of prep to get it ready. You could use their Primer polish and wait 24hrs as even it suggests a wipe down if you don't wait. Personally, I do wipedown with Prep or Eraser upon every job regardless just to make sure the surface is good. If you do go Primer you can get 1-2 vehicles done with their small bottle size. I bought the small one simply to use as a dispenser for the 1000ml one I keep with my back-stock.

DaveT435
06-25-2018, 10:56 AM
If you have any McKee's 914 mix it to panel wipe strength and use that for a first panel wipe then go over it with the Gyeon panel wipe. That's my normal process. That or you could use IPA first the Gyeon. That would be better than buying another polish.

FUNX650
06-25-2018, 11:17 AM
•I’ll suggest Poorboy's World SSR1 Light
Abrasive Swirl Remover as the light (aka:
Finishing) polish—it has no *T.S. Oils*; it’s
water-based and body-shop safe; contains
no Wax or Silicone.

-Following up with Gyeon Prep should
provide for a most excellent CanCoat
bonding condition, IMO.

Bob

The Guz
06-25-2018, 11:26 AM
If you really must have another polish look into Sonax EX 04-06. Comes in an 8 oz size that will get you multiple applications.

If you have any McKee's 914 mix it to panel wipe strength and use that for a first panel wipe then go over it with the Gyeon panel wipe. That's my normal process. That or you could use IPA first the Gyeon. That would be better than buying another polish.

Great recommendation right here.

osiapstndp
06-25-2018, 11:49 AM
I know you mentioned that you don't want to use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, but what about M205? I use it for the final polishing step before coatings and it works beautifully. I also use a mixture of N914, IPA and distilled water to remove most of the residue and then I'll do a couple applications of Optimum Paint Prep or GTechniq Panel Wipe just before installing the coating.

Don M
06-25-2018, 04:38 PM
I'll probably go with Bob's POORBOY'S suggestion and get some SSR1 (better cost per oz - yes, I'm that cheap). Water-based, so it should be a breeze for the Gyeon Prep to remove.

Boudin
06-25-2018, 05:39 PM
I use Carpro Essence for this purpose. Works as a fine finish polish that corrects minor swirls and scratches, a paint cleaner, as well as a primer for the coating. No need for a wipedown. I've even used it with microfiber pads to remove more severe defects and previous coatings.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dan Tran
06-25-2018, 09:06 PM
I use Carpro Essence for this purpose. Works as a fine finish polish that corrects minor swirls and scratches, a paint cleaner, as well as a primer for the coating. No need for a wipedown. I've even used it with microfiber pads to remove more severe defects and previous coatings.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What he said!

Dan Tran
The Buffing Moose Detailing (http://www.thebuffingmoose.com)