PDA

View Full Version : Using APC for stripping off wax instead of IPA wipedown...

mrq0604
06-24-2018, 05:20 PM
I couldn't get a hold of IPA this weekend, so I was wondering whether I can use an APC for stripping off wax.

I have Armor All Multi Purpose Auto Cleaner though...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/89eea6589787a9383300d1d2b72f456b.jpg

Can this be used on paint surfaces?

Thanks in advance

FUNX650
06-24-2018, 05:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/89eea6589787a9383300d1d2b72f456b.jpg

Can this be used on paint surfaces?

•I don’t believe it was formulated, and
then intended, for use on car paint.

-Can’t say with conviction that this product
will/won’t “harm” the paint...but I’ve had
another ArmorAll product leave exterior
paint surfaces with quite a dull appearance.

•Then there’s always the “Test Spot”:
for your own personal assessment...

Bob

The Guz
06-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Similar post made a few days ago.

Mixing Meg’s APC with car wash to strip paint (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/119746-mixing-meg-s-apc-car-wash-strip-paint.html)

What are you trying to achieve? Are you just adding a new coat of wax or sealant?

E93to
06-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I am detailing the exterior top to bottom. Before applying sealant and wax, I would like to make sure that previous coats are completely stripped off. It seems that claying has not completely removed sealant and wax... So I wanted to try IPA wipedown for the first time. But I couldn't get a hold of it. So I was just wondering whether APC could be used for this purpose.

E93to
06-24-2018, 06:04 PM
This doesn't sound good...

joleyred
06-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I am detailing the exterior top to bottom. Before applying sealant and wax, I would like to make sure that previous coats are completely stripped off. It seems that claying has not completely removed sealant and wax... So I wanted to try IPA wipedown for the first time. But I couldn't get a hold of it. So I was just wondering whether APC could be used for this purpose.How can you tell if all the old wax is not gone. I have trouble getting wax to stay on, not to come off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

E93to
06-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Water beads on some panels after final wash... Ironically, like you said, wax struggles to stay on some panels.

The Guz
06-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Make things easy on yourself and just protect the paint. When you have more time you can polish it to not only add gloss but clean the paint. Or if you do t have time a cleaner wax will do.

E93to
06-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Polishing is a no-no for me as I have no experience. I have watched countless YouTube videos on compounding and polishing, but I am still afraid I might screw up the paint. I plan to (actually have been planning to for years) get some car panels from a junkyard to test polishing techniques before doing it on my car

Haven't thought of cleaner wax. But then again, I might as well get the IPA then lol

The Guz
06-24-2018, 07:41 PM
We all had no experience and in reality polishing is not that hard. Some see it as rocket science and are intimidated by the use of a machine. It can also be done by hand but takes a lot of work.

One would really have to try hard to damage the paint or just really not pay attention.

Don’t shut yourself off from taking up the challenge of learning how to polish.

Also IPA is not guaranteed to remove the wax or sealant.

A cleaner wax/AIO (All In One) will clean, polish and protect in one step. The drawback is the protection does not last that long.

glfnaz
06-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Coating Prep products are fairly cheap and simple to use. I had a car with WG sealant on it, I used Gyeon Prep, and the coating I chose worked great. It will remove wax and sealants in a 15-20 minute application. If it works for a coating, it'll work for the next sealant you choose.

PaulMys
06-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Polishing is a no-no for me as I have no experience. I have watched countless YouTube videos on compounding and polishing, but I am still afraid I might screw up the paint. I plan to (actually have been planning to for years) get some car panels from a junkyard to test polishing techniques before doing it on my car

Haven't thought of cleaner wax. But then again, I might as well get the IPA then lol

Totally agree with Guz. Unless you are the world's most clumsy and inattentive person, machine polishing is a breeze.

After 1-2 passes with a polisher, you'll be saying-- "WHAT was I so afraid of ?!?!"

Machine polishing is by far my favorite step in the process.

MikeC78
06-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Grab a Griot's Garage GG6 polisher, 5" backing plate and some orange Lake Country ThinPro pads. Then grab some HD Speed "cleaner wax" and go have some fun. Thank me later. ;)

PaulMys
06-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Grab a Griot's Garage GG6 polisher, 5" backing plate and some orange Lake Country ThinPro pads. Then grab some HD Speed "cleaner wax" and go have some fun. Thank me later. ;)

I think this could be a verse in the Bible......... :applause:

MikeC78
06-25-2018, 08:02 PM
IMO, this combo would make any beginner happy and it has a very easy learning curve. The detail "sickness" will also haunt you for life as well! ;)