PDA

View Full Version : Gtechniq Coatings CSL and EVO

Pats300zx
06-21-2018, 10:55 AM
I have been an avid Cquartz user but am looking to possibly venfure into the Gtechniq lineup. For all you Gtechniq users what is better Crystal Serum Light or EVO3? I see alot of detailers using C2V3 over CSL and others using EVO3 on top of CSL. Its kind of confusing.

Just looking for a similar system like CQ-UK topped with Reload when coating.

The Guz
06-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Both CSL and Exo are stand alone coatings. Exo is often used as a topper over CSL as Exo has more aggressive water behavior. I have read that c2v3 is prone to water spotting. I have some but only used it on my wheels that have GTechniq C5+ Exo V3 on them. Haven't used it on paint.

I just recently used CSL + Exo V3 on my Camaro and these are my thoughts.

CSL is very easy to work with. Easy on and off. Feels slick upon leveling it out. Not as hydrophobic as Exo V3.

EXo V3 I found to be a bit harder to work with. I would recommend using multiple towels (3 would be ideal) when leveling because product is pushed around and if it is not fully removed then it will leave high spots. It feels tacky after application but get slicker after a few hours. Not quite as tacky as the original cquartz. I'm hoping the new Exo V4 is easier to work with as that was one of the draw backs for me when using it on paint. On wheels I had no issues.

You can use c2v3 over either coating if you choose to do so.

Pats300zx
06-21-2018, 11:53 AM
Both CSL and Exo are stand alone coatings. Exo is often used as a topper over CSL as Exo has more aggressive water behavior. I have read that c2v3 is prone to water spotting. I have some but only used it on my wheels that have GTechniq C5+ Exo V3 on them. Haven't used it on paint.

I just recently used CSL + Exo V3 on my Camaro and these are my thoughts.

CSL is very easy to work with. Easy on and off. Feels slick upon leveling it out. Not as hydrophobic as Exo V3.

EXo V3 I found to be a bit harder to work with. I would recommend using multiple towels (3 would be ideal) when leveling because product is pushed around and if it is not fully removed then it will leave high spots. It feels tacky after application but get slicker after a few hours. Not quite as tacky as the original cquartz. I'm hoping the new Exo V4 is easier to work with as that was one of the draw backs for me when using it on paint. On wheels I had no issues.

You can use c2v3 over either coating if you choose to do so.

Great info Mike. Sounds like CSL + C2V3 might be a easier option for coatings on clients cars.

BudgetPlan1
06-21-2018, 01:27 PM
FWIW, and it's just my experience (could be user error), CSL topped by C2V3 was among the poorest coatings I've tried w/ respect to self cleaning. I think it actually started doing better a month or 2 in, maybe when the C2V3 wore off?

I did 2 coats of CSL which some say was a mistake and really enjoyed working with CSL, it lent a nice, rich look to the red paint I used it on but it did leave some (easily removed) water spots after each rain. I hear EXO addresses that shortcoming, however.

About 8 months and 15k miles after applying the CSL, I decon'd the vehicle and put CanCoat on top which really improved the performance in the areas I found lacking while maintaining the underlying richness of the CSL. Who knew?

Someday I wanna give the CSL/EXO combo a try again as I really liked the CSL during and immediately after application. Gtechniq seems like a really solid company and I also just plain like the name 'Crystal Serum Light' and the packaging too. Kinda goofy attributes to consider but, I dunno, that kinda stuff appeals to me as well.

The Guz
06-21-2018, 02:01 PM
Great info Mike. Sounds like CSL + C2V3 might be a easier option for coatings on clients cars.

Yeah it would be. CSL is also has a higher hardness to it than Exo although that doesn't really matter. Never know what a client will do with the vehicle once he/she takes it out in the real world.

Also C2V3 can be used as a drying aid diluted I believe 1:2. Maybe for those maintenance touch ups. Tried this as well on my wheels and it works ok.

I did like using CSL.

DaveT435
06-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Yeah it would be. CSL is also has a higher hardness to it than Exo although that doesn't really matter. Never know what a client will do with the vehicle once he/she takes it out in the real world.

Also C2V3 can be used as a drying aid diluted I believe 1:2. Maybe for those maintenance touch ups. Tried this as well on my wheels and it works ok.

I did like using CSL.

Actually 10:1 is perfect for a drying aid. The EXOv4 is supposed to eliminate all the issue people had with V3. I've used a lot of Gtechniq products over the years. I'm looking forward to trying the v4 on top of a base coat. Another 3 or 4 weeks and I'll be back at it.

DaveT435
06-21-2018, 04:25 PM
I have been an avid Cquartz user but am looking to possibly venfure into the Gtechniq lineup. For all you Gtechniq users what is better Crystal Serum Light or EVO3? I see alot of detailers using C2V3 over CSL and others using EVO3 on top of CSL. Its kind of confusing.

Just looking for a similar system like CQ-UK topped with Reload when coating.

I switched a full time deatailer over from CQuartz to CSL/EXO and he was extremely happy with the change. I would probably go ahead and get EXOv4 though.