PDA

View Full Version : Before I say yes to full detail on this '93 Corvette........ cupla ?'s

Pages : [1] 2

Avgguy
06-20-2018, 01:01 PM
My business is growing fairly quickly and I'm getting vehicles lined up. I take things one car at a time. Was asked if I could detail this car. I spoke to owner and told him what I can and can't do. Paint swirled out but doesn't look too bad. He has owned the car for a long time and has had no paint repairs. I'm apprehensive about compounding, since I don't have a PTG yet.

Agreed to do:

test spot
wash wheels/tires (Meguiars Non-acid cleaner on wheels)
wash car
clay mitt or sponge
Plan for now is M101 foam compound/M205 polish/WDGPS/P21 Carnauba
Clean interior windows

1) As far as the process above, I'm open to any feedback.

I'm not sure if a 1993 Vette has single stage paint or not. I know how to check but don't have the car right now.

I will read up on paint correction for single stage paint, if needed. I worked on a few vehicles awhile back that were single stage but I don't remember the details (pun intended).

2) Any warnings, words of advice on paint/leather seats/anything else specifically for a C4 Corvette ?

3) I do have a question about the best way to clean/dress the black luggage rack. Suggestions ?

Thank you in advance and for previous assistance.

Craig

Bill D
06-20-2018, 01:37 PM
If it's anything like my dad's '89, it should have a clear coat and the clear is reasonably hard.

JDGolden
06-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Don't get the optispark wet under the hood.

Avgguy
06-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Don't get the optispark wet under the hood.

I did hear about that awhile back. I was only going to look under hood and clean as needed, spraying and wiping without using hose, if I even did that.

acuRAS82
06-20-2018, 02:11 PM
For the black luggage rack you can get some McKee’s Trim restorer or similar.

Avgguy
06-20-2018, 02:14 PM
So it was definitely base/clear from the factory.

Avgguy
06-20-2018, 07:58 PM
I'll do a test spot, starting with least aggressive combo., but if this paint is as hard as I'm hearing it is..... I'm hoping that a LC Yellow flat pad with M101 and 6-7 passes will remove a decent amount of swirls. Using a GG6. That's the strongest pad/compound I have. No MF's.. I don't use them.... well, I HAVEN'T used them.

acuRAS82
06-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Good plan for now.

Eldorado2k
06-21-2018, 01:18 AM
Let us know how it goes..

Eric@CherryOnTop
06-21-2018, 06:59 AM
I'll do a test spot, starting with least aggressive combo., but if this paint is as hard as I'm hearing it is..... I'm hoping that a LC Yellow flat pad with M101 and 6-7 passes will remove a decent amount of swirls. Using a GG6. That's the strongest pad/compound I have. No MF's.. I don't use them.... well, I HAVEN'T used them.

This would be how I would approach this car too. I would imagine it would have hard paint and I have used m101 with great success on hard GM paint. I would use something more "robust" than a GG6 though, a Flex 3401 would be a better choice if you have one available.

Also note, a paint thickness gauge would not help you with this car, it's made of fiberglass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Avgguy
06-21-2018, 09:47 AM
This would be how I would approach this car too. I would imagine it would have hard paint and I have used m101 with great success on hard GM paint. I would use something more "robust" than a GG6 though, a Flex 3401 would be a better choice if you have one available.

Also note, a paint thickness gauge would not help you with this car, it's made of fiberglass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric, thank you for the specific feedback. I have another brand DA that I can't mention here but IMHO it really does spin as hard, if not harder, than the GG6. ( Please all, NOT going there with that argument ). No Flex 3401.... yet.

On the PTG... on a fiberglass car .... Face plant.

Avgguy
06-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Thank you for all the replies; car is in the garage.

Avgguy
06-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Let us know how it goes..

Will do.... he's getting it ready to sell. Probably going to go ahead and compound & polish separately (is that a 2 or 3 step, meaning do I include the LSP and call it a 3 step ?) instead of an AIO.

Avgguy
06-24-2018, 07:02 AM
Will do.... he's getting it ready to sell. Probably going to go ahead and compound & polish separately (is that a 2 or 3 step, meaning do I include the LSP and call it a 3 step ?) instead of an AIO.

Car turned out really nice. Owner is beyond happy. I’m working my way up on performance. Several people on here have been really helpful.... thank you. First pic is with the passenger door and back not done and the front fender and hood done. Process is below... maybe it will help someone or your feedback will help me.

Before pics
wash/clean wheels & barrels
Foam car
brush/clean top
wash car/rinse
Clay mitt/rinse
blow dry...lol (electric Worx blower)
GG6 + 1 other DA
M101 compound - Yellow LC flat pad 5-6 passes
M205 polish - White LC flat pads 4 passes (2 medium pressure, last 2 light )
Wolfgang DGPS vertical and horizontal pass/wipe off
Touch up around decals with Wolfgang Uber Compound by hand
VRP dressing on tires... it's all about the applicator
Interior clean/then coat with 303 wipes, BUFF DRY
Luggage rack, windshield trim, door handles dressed with Solution Finish
Clean Windows
Final inspection/wipe down
After pics

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
06-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Outstanding results! You did good work there.[emoji1376]