PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

Pages : [1] 2

marchese_alexander
02-09-2008, 02:52 AM
:cheers: Well what can I say, Menz is a beauty. I just finished my car and is amazing, is better than when I bought it, Woho!! :righton:

What are the next steps on keeping it like that?

ScottB
02-09-2008, 08:39 AM
make sure you use a good protection (wax or sealant) to lock in the work. Then modify your washing and drying techniques to make the most of this swirl free finish.

1. Wash -- Lots of lubrication, clean towels and mitts, wash out mitt after each panel (two bucket method)

2. Drying -- Leaf Blower as possible. Good well lubricated qd'er+, nice soft towel for final wipe.

YankeeFan
02-09-2008, 10:15 AM
make sure you use a good protection (wax or sealant) to lock in the work. Then modify your washing and drying techniques to make the most of this swirl free finish.

1. Wash -- Lots of lubrication, clean towels and mitts, wash out mitt after each panel (two bucket method)

2. Drying -- Leaf Blower as possible. Good well lubricated qd'er+, nice soft towel for final wipe.

Couple of questions:
1. I started using a leaf blower but just around the mirrors, license plate, back lights and front grill. Do you do the whole car? Does that ever leave water spots since the final wipedown won't have much water to wipe off the spots?
2. Wash with lots of lubrication. Can ya elaborate? Are you using anything more than a soap? Right now I am using 1 1/2 capfuls of Optimum
wash with 1 capful of ONR in 2 gallons of water. Anything better or more to add?
3. Just curious how many times do most people trash their wash mitt to use a new one? I rinse it very often when washing and when finished I put it in the dryer for about 40 minutes, with no heat, just hoping any locked in dirt comes loose.

Howard

ScottB
02-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Couple of questions:
1. I started using a leaf blower but just around the mirrors, license plate, back lights and front grill. Do you do the whole car? Does that ever leave water spots since the final wipedown won't have much water to wipe off the spots?
2. Wash with lots of lubrication. Can ya elaborate? Are you using anything more than a soap? Right now I am using 1 1/2 capfuls of Optimum
wash with 1 capful of ONR in 2 gallons of water. Anything better or more to add?
3. Just curious how many times do most people trash their wash mitt to use a new one? I rinse it very often when washing and when finished I put it in the dryer for about 40 minutes, with no heat, just hoping any locked in dirt comes loose.

Howard

great questions .... you already have made a concerted effort as it shows.

1. I do you a leaf blower over the entire car, and purposely leave a little water even in Florida sun. I then go back and wipe lightly after a spritz or two with a good quick detailer and my handy Guzzler MF. Straight wiping ... no circles !

2. Using the proper soap/water ratio is the deal. Reading the label will show that not ALL soaps are created equal. Adding Optimum is a plus IMO ... but not always needed.

3. I believe that most mitts have a small life. I find that Sheepskin wear out so fast that they will tell you as they fall apart when to replace. For chenille, and WF it is "my" rule of thumb to replace every 3-6 months. That is two cars washed weekly on average over that time. They are then washed, dried, and stored in zip lock bag so as not to pull contaminents from other towels, mitts and such.

Jimmie
02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
great questions .... you already have made a concerted effort as it shows.

1. I do you a leaf blower over the entire car, and purposely leave a little water even in Florida sun. I then go back and wipe lightly after a spritz or two with a good quick detailer and my handy Guzzler MF. Straight wiping ... no circles !

:iagree: and do it the same way.

marchese_alexander
02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
For the wax I used NXT... for the washing can it have carnauba on it (someone told me to used with carnauba so it stays smooth) If there a good product you recommend; but that I can find in any local store, Im a little short of money for ordering something new right now.

marchese_alexander
02-09-2008, 12:27 PM
... to be honest the shipping will cost me 50 bucks + product, because the only method is the 2day air or if I can find it on another web site

Reddwarf
02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
There are so many choices for waxes on AG. Honestly, IMO, for now you can keep using the NXT until you have the bucks and decide which products to try for AG.

marchese_alexander
02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
what about the wash product?

Mr Dream Machines
02-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Don't hand wash. thats worse than taking it to a better coin op and doing a warm soap wash and a RO water rinse.

marchese_alexander
02-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Dint understand anything you said? I dont need to use Menzerna anymore, is just doing the wax now and then?

YankeeFan
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Don't hand wash. thats worse than taking it to a better coin op and doing a warm soap wash and a RO water rinse.

huh??? Don't hand wash? Can you explain?

Howard

marchese_alexander
02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
yes please

Mr Dream Machines
02-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Over in my country, we have what is called - PRO WASH. its the best coin op car wash constructors and chemicals supplier

They are nationwide and use the best industrial products they can get
It's cheap, the soap doesn't strip wax or sealant and slickness is not that effected

A nice 32 degree shampoo with the 1000psi high pressure gun takes off all the gunk and they have RO water rinse cycle which doesn't leave waterspots
Their vacuum and detail bays are undercover and away from the water spray of the bays

By just taking your car in there, using the soap first (don't do a water rinse) and finishing with the rinse means no hand wash marring, no dirty water and your done in five minutes max. No hoses to drag out, buckets to fill, wash mitts to wash etc

I know it goes against the autopian and autogeek way of doing things but no matter what I did, I got swirls on my dark blue paint when hand washing. Now I get nothing. Sure my car don't get caked with grime like in the USA winters but it's quick and easy

Oh and I slide the soap and water along the paint, I dont spray it at the paint

YankeeFan
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Over in my country, we have what is called - PRO WASH. its the best coin op car wash constructors and chemicals supplier

They are nationwide and use the best industrial products they can get
It's cheap, the soap doesn't strip wax or sealant and slickness is not that effected

A nice 32 degree shampoo with the 1000psi high pressure gun takes off all the gunk and they have RO water rinse cycle which doesn't leave waterspots
Their vacuum and detail bays are undercover and away from the water spray of the bays

By just taking your car in there, using the soap first (don't do a water rinse) and finishing with the rinse means no hand wash marring, no dirty water and your done in five minutes max. No hoses to drag out, buckets to fill, wash mitts to wash etc

I know it goes against the autopian and autogeek way of doing things but no matter what I did, I got swirls on my dark blue paint when hand washing. Now I get nothing. Sure my car don't get caked with grime like in the USA winters but it's quick and easy

Oh and I slide the soap and water along the paint, I dont spray it at the paint

At first I thought......cool........but then after thinking about it (bad thing to do) I like the idea of the buckets, mitts, drying towels, etc..........I actually find all that enjoyable and relaxing and find I accomplished something after working on the in- and outside of the car for 2-3 hours. But I, of course, do like the idea of no swirls, that is my biggest issue right now as I have spider webs all over.........my next solution is a foam gun and using a leaf blower over the whole car this Spring.......

Howard