PDA

View Full Version : Another Flex Review

Pages : [1] 2

Excessive Detail
02-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Well I know many of you have been wanting to hear more reviews about the all new Flex Random Orbital, and I finally used mine for the first time today, so here is what I thought.
Were to start, were to start, well for starters, WOW, this thing is a godsend, and I want to meet the man who invented it and shake his hand. By far the most remarkable random orbital I have ever used. After only one use I will never pic up my PC again. Now for the details.

Right off the bat it felt better built than the PC, yes it is heavier and bigger, but the weight is balanced perfectly.

It is louder than a PC, which could cause problems for those who detail late at night.

Comparing speed settings, the Flex will reach higher speeds, I only went up to 4 on the Flex this time and honestly didn't see the need to go any higher, I would compare it to 5 on the PC.

Flex Speed vs. PC Speed (my personal opinion)
1 2
2 3
3 4
4 5
5 6
6 basically overdrive for the Flex, no setting on the PC can match it.

The large 6" backing plate allows only for 6" or larger velcro backed pads, I went with the 6.5" CCS pads, another review I will do after. But I'm sure someone will make an adapter for it sooner or later for Edge Pads.

I was a little skeptical about using such big pads, but the fact that the backing plate is so large makes for almost full and even contact on the large 6.5" pads.

The trigger feature is a definite plus, allowing for throttle control at any setting for initial spreading of product. The trigger locking mecanism is almost to easy to use, unlike many other types of trigger locks on other power tools, it only takes a gentle push and its locked, it took me a few times to actually realize it was locked. Once locked all that is required is a quick pull of the trigger and the lock disengages. All these factors make for almost effortless buffing.

Stability during buffeing in easily controlable, and due to its balanced weight you almost need not apply any pressure. The front mount handle is extremely comfortable and really aids in control. It almost feels at home in your hands. One of the biggest things I noticed was even at high speeds, if you pick the flex off the paint it seems as if it is off, meaning no vibrtation at all, I swear only the noise and sight of the pad spinning lets you know it on, unlike the PC which I always felt was very sparatic when running and held off the paint. Also, when placed upside down during wipe off periods the flex is very hard to tip over, even if the pad is still spinning, unlike the PC which if you didn't let the pad completely stop spinning before setting down, would tend to tip over.

During buffing like I said it was very stable and controlable, even with using only one hand, not at the top, but holding it at the bottom while still squeezing the trigger, very inpressive to me.

As for the results, well I tried it on my car, which hardly has any swirls, only a few stay ones from rushing washing and some water spots, so it didn't take much, but compared to when I used to do the same thing with my PC, the Flex cut the buffing time in half, again, cut time in half, and the results were outstanding, the best I have ever done, got some of the harder swirls out that my PC couldn't, and I was only using a orange ccs pad and 106, which I feel could take out even more swirls than I had. This thing is a swirl eating monster, swirls beware, the flex just laughs at them. I think it could even give a rotary a run for its money, plus its safer.

All in all, I'm so glad I spent the money, it was well worth the wait, if you don't have one GET ONE, you will see what I'm talking about. I'll give another review when I do a really bad car.

As for the CCS pads, this is another great product, the pads are very strudy feeling, I like the fact that the entire back is covered in velcro. The design does indeed do what it was intended to to. The pads maintain a flat even surface at all time, donsn't seem to clog up as much, and clean very easily.

Well my fingers hurt from all this typing, hopes this helps anyone debating buying Flex.

mingraygt
02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Nice write up! I hope to get the Flex soon..

Z06-Goose
02-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm sold! :cheers:

conan777
02-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Nice review tks. I just bought a flex myself but haven't used it yet. I cant wait to give it a whirl.

Gary Sword
02-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Nice review! I think it should be noted which Flex and model no. you are taking about. I'm sure you talking about the Flex SC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher but they do make rotary models and it's best to avoid any confusion. I have used a Flex Wet Rotary Polisher to polish granite and marble for years and I can say they make well built power tools.

ScottB
02-09-2008, 08:27 AM
this is well written, easy to understand, and should easily help the Flex sell more units. Congrats for making it easy ....

Reddwarf
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm with Gary, which model? I'm still confused about the Flex. Is it a random orbital (your review says it is) or a rotary (other reviews have said it is)? I'm curious about your comments regarding the vibrations. Could you elaborate more on how it compares to the PC/UDM?

Thanks for the review!

ScottB
02-09-2008, 10:56 AM
it appears to be the Flex ROB which has more in common with the PC. It would not be fair to even suggest a rotary competes with PC IMO.

jetset4me
02-10-2008, 03:49 AM
I got the Flex XC3401 on Thursday and used it on my wife's '95 Honda today with simply amazing results. There was sheer joy on her face when she saw the results. I let her try it on the hood but it was too powerful for her and she let me finish. I can't wait to use it next on my Caddy but I'm going to be in Chicago for a week for the Auto Show and the weather. Not!

supercharged
02-10-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm gonna try mine this week.

ZoranC
02-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I let her try it on the hood but it was too powerful for her and she let me finish.
Tell her not to fight it but instead to relax the muscles while keeping hands in position and using leverage. Subconcious reaction of many people to powerful tools is to tighten up in "death grip" which only makes it worse.

Junebug
02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Anybody that has ever used an industrial floor buffer can tell you it's all about technique, Zoran is 100% right. Relax you grip and lift the side opposit where you want it to go, just a little or you'll zip across the panal!

Excessive Detail
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the comments, yes I am talking about the random orbital, I can't wait to use it on a really swirled car. Just wanted to make it clear that evrything I wrote is just my personal opinion, you guyz may feel different about some areas, but I just felt I needed to share my opinions about it.

Excessive Detail
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay I have to apologize real quick, I just read over my review and started to realized that I can't spell, I must have been rushing the night I wrote it, so I went back and corrected all the grammer errors, it might make a little more sense now.

Showroom Shine
02-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Very nice review on the Flex. Since I have one I have tried some of the things you spoke about. You are correct. Good write up!