PDA

View Full Version : Coating question?

Pages : [1] 2

Mgavin1985
06-16-2018, 09:20 PM
I just ordered a bunch of black fire crystal coat the older glass coat version not the one that just came out. The older version is notorious for fast flashing. What type of solvent could I add to make it more workable. Some one suggested mineral spirits. Any other carrier solvents that anyone knows??

The Guz
06-16-2018, 10:55 PM
Should have saved your money. This was the one Blackfire product that I disliked. Was a nightmare to work with. Ended up in the trash can. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Misterpaul
06-17-2018, 06:12 AM
I have to agree with The Guz. That product was hit or miss. If you’re fortunate you’ll get one of the bottles from a good batch. We did not. The bottle I had was simply unusable. This product and Autogeek’s handling of its poor quality really left a bad taste in my mouth. That product should have been pulled after all the complaints on this forum and destroyed and NOT put in the “outlet store” or whatever they’re calling the clearance bin. To say I was surprised to see it there last night is a gross understatement. Shame on you Autogeek, I expect better from your company.

Mgavin1985
06-17-2018, 06:41 AM
It sounds like the nano glass particles and what ever the resin they use is too high of a concentration and they need more solvent or slower evaporating one. Garage chemistry. Worst case is I’ll end up with nice trim

Mgavin1985
06-17-2018, 06:42 AM
Or my shower will be beading water like a champ

joleyred
06-17-2018, 01:22 PM
I used that product on my first coating venture, absolute nightmare. Took me 4 hours to coat my wife's car. It has lasted well, but almost ruined me on coatings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ebg18t
06-17-2018, 01:56 PM
I tried it too, Threw it away after getting frustrated with it. Ended up euth the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rlmccarty2000
06-17-2018, 03:30 PM
I was shocked to see it in the clearance section. They were offering refunds for people that bought it. Too many people on forums had severe issues with this product. The $5 coating from China is better (don’t buy it).

Mgavin1985
06-17-2018, 03:35 PM
I have a bunch off the 5 dollar coating I use over top of solutions finish on trim. I was actually thinking about mixing them because it’s mostly solvent. Garage chemistry again.

Mgavin1985
06-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Has anyone actually figured out a fix on coating

rlmccarty2000
06-17-2018, 03:43 PM
I have a bunch off the 5 dollar coating I use over top of solutions finish on trim. I was actually thinking about mixing them because it’s mostly solvent. Garage chemistry again.

That might work and it really can’t hurt the BF stuff.

Mgavin1985
06-17-2018, 04:16 PM
I was think about taking 20ml black fire then mixing 10 ml eBay Chinese coating I have a bunch of empty coating bottles trying to fill right to brim so theirs no air in them then capping and saving or reselling I can call them double shield since it’s 2 PIA coating in one.

Boudin
06-17-2018, 05:00 PM
I'm having the same problem with Mckee's V2, it's not usable at all now that it's warmed up. It's weird it was working fine and I loved it, then all of a sudden it's flashing instantly and impossible to remove.

I too was wondering what solvent I could add to help with the work time to salvage the bottle I have left.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mgavin1985
06-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Another thing that may help is a damp applicator of distilled water or misting the surface have seen some Japanese coatings applies in this manner where their 2-3 spritz of water applied per half panel that helped the coating be applied smoothly. Just hope these close out aren’t years old on top of it

Boudin
06-18-2018, 12:14 PM
So I tried a damp applicator, misting surface with water and mixing in Mineral spirits.

The mineral spirits definitely prolonged the work time, although it was still just as difficult to removed once it flashed. The water made it even more sticky and harder to apply and remove.

I ordered some 10ml euro dropper bottles and measuring droppers for some more precise 'garage chemistry' to try with different solvents and different amounts. Hope to figure it out as I really do prefer the look, slickness and durability of Mckee's coatings over others.

Video testing was done with fresh primed applicator cloth each time, surface was polished and wiped clean between tests. Conducted it on glass because it was easier to see, but had the same results on paintwork. I did not wait for it to cure, I went from application to removal and you can still see how hard it is to remove. I've tried waiting and any longer it takes some serious muscle or polishing to remove the haze/highspots, which would mar a painted surface.

YouTube (https://youtu.be/jBhZeYCCJN4)

A description of each application is in the video's description section.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk