PDA

View Full Version : Sealants on glass

Pages : [1] 2

FocusSTguy
06-15-2018, 08:23 PM
I've been using Jetseal on my glass and it works great but I am almost out. I thought I read somewhere that some sealants may fog up the glass. I currently have HD Poxy, Menzerna Power Lock, and McKees HiDef and wonder if anyone has used any of these on glass.

rlmccarty2000
06-15-2018, 09:25 PM
FK 1000p doesn’t work well on glass.

PaulMys
06-15-2018, 09:34 PM
I use HD Speed on my glass. I follow with 845.

Makes me happy.....

Cleankat
06-15-2018, 10:43 PM
I use either HD speed or meguiars cleaner wax on windows with excellent results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Firehouse Mike
06-16-2018, 04:09 AM
I've been going over lightly water spotted glass with Megs D166 or HD Speed depending what I'm using at the time. I then will clean it with 3M Glass Cleaner and Protector. Glass stays VERY hydrophobic for months and wiper blades are smooth and silent with no streaking that can occur with some waxes.

Mike

TTQ B4U
06-16-2018, 06:04 AM
I use Optimum Optiseal on glass. Even works great on windshields where many will tend to make things grabby and cause chatter. This will not. Coating-lite products like Gyeon Can-Coat are awesome and my new go-to for all but NOT on windshields. The hydrophobic properties make it awesome for side and rear windows though. The back window of my sedan is dry when I get home after it's been in the rain. Sheets right off.

oneheadlite
06-16-2018, 07:56 AM
... I thought I read somewhere that some sealants may fog up the glass...

Are you referring to using them on the inside of glass? If so I thought I had heard the same, and would love to hear if folks have run into any issues using any sealants on the inside of glass.

Specifically Optiseal, since this is what I’d be most likely to try since it’s so easy to use on the exterior glass.

TTQ B4U
06-16-2018, 12:00 PM
FWIW I was referencing the on the exterior.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Bobby B.
06-16-2018, 02:07 PM
I've been using the new Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant on exterior glass. Works great!
BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-sio2-spray-sealant.html)

DaveT435
06-16-2018, 03:04 PM
I polish with Ceriglass and use Oprimim Optiglass. Good for about a year.

I realize it isn't a sealant but definitely the best product I've used on glass. You might try a dedicated glass product, especially on the windshield.

Calendyr
06-16-2018, 03:09 PM
You can use powerlock on glass, but don't use it on the windshield or on the back window if it has a wiper.

I made that mistake once, in the middle of a heavy rainstorm I started using the wipers and the sealant broke down and make the windshield completelly opaque, I simply could not see through it. Took about 10 minutes of wipers on high and constantly spraying windshield fluid to get it off. So for windshield, I would stick with products designed for it (like Aquapel or glass coatings). Some people use waxes and sealants but to me the safety risk is not worth it.

FUNX650
06-16-2018, 03:53 PM
I've been using Jetseal on my glass
and it works great but I am almost out.

I thought I read somewhere that some
sealants may fog up the glass.
•IMO:

1.) If...”it works great”...then:
Why change to a different Sealant that
may, or may not, have fogging (or other
undesirable) characteristics?

2.) Testing “the unknowns” may not
always turn out to be: “A Best Practice”.
(ex.: The total removal of many LSPs from
auto-glass isn’t such a glamorous task.)

Bob

BudgetPlan1
06-16-2018, 07:31 PM
•IMO:

Bob

Cuz' sometimes ya just have a hankerin' to add another item to your "Seemed like a good idea at the time..." list. [emoji16]

pickles
06-17-2018, 12:48 AM
I prefer spray on glass. CG Blitz, WGDG spray seal and Reload have been my go to glass products.

FocusSTguy
06-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Are you referring to using them on the inside of glass? If so I thought I had heard the same, and would love to hear if folks have run into any issues using any sealants on the inside of glass.

Specifically Optiseal, since this is what I’d be most likely to try since it’s so easy to use on the exterior glass.

I was talking exterior only.

•IMO:

2.) Testing “the unknowns” may not
always turn out to be: “A Best Practice”.
(ex.: The total removal of many LSPs from
auto-glass isn’t such a glamorous task.)

Bob

I was curious if anyone had tried any of the others I had mentioned. CG's recommends Jetseal for use on glass and it does work great but it's the only thing I use it for. I just remembered I also have a tub of Collinite 915 so I currently have five sealants plus a coupe of waxes all for one car :p. Just trying to reduce inventory :).