PDA

View Full Version : What kind of etching is this? Type 1 or 2?

akh10
06-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Not sure how this happened...but I found an etch mark that I can't seem to remove. After going through the forum archives, I've read about type 1 and type 2 etching. I think it's type 1, can anyone confirm? Is this fixable to an extent where it's not too noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

Edited to include higher res pic.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet (https://imgur.com/Yy0qwLt)

Rsurfer
06-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Is this etching on your glass or paint?

akh10
06-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Is this etching on your glass or paint?

Paint! That's my rear bumper.

Rsurfer
06-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Paint! That's my rear bumper.

Be careful, as plastic bumpers have a flexing agent in the paint and is thin and soft. If a light compound doesn't take it out, don't chase it. Could it be tree sap or a bird bomb?

PaulMys
06-15-2018, 05:19 PM
What methods have you tried so far?

akh10
06-15-2018, 05:39 PM
What methods have you tried so far?

I haven't tried much, found it when I washed my car. Used QD spray and alcohol wipe so far. I'm not really good at detailing so I didn't want to make it worse. I'm eventually going to bring it to a pro detailer. For now, I just want to know if it can even be fixed.

Rsurfer
06-15-2018, 05:54 PM
I haven't tried much, found it when I washed my car. Used QD spray and alcohol wipe so far. I'm not really good at detailing so I didn't want to make it worse. I'm eventually going to bring it to a pro detailer. For now, I just want to know if it can even be fixed.

If the etching is on the clear coat, a good detailer should be able to buff it out. If it etched through the clear only a repaint will fix it.

Powerman
06-15-2018, 06:36 PM
If the etching is on the clear coat, a good detailer should be able to buff it out. If it etched through the clear only a repaint will fix it.

I’ve got one that looks very similar on my bumper. Looking at it with a magnifying glass on mine it’s obvious some one bumped my bumper and there are very small cracks in the clear coat.
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rsurfer
06-15-2018, 06:46 PM
I’ve got one that looks very similar on my bumper. Looking at it with a magnifying glass on mine it’s obvious some one bumped my bumper and there are very small cracks in the clear coat.
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If that's what happened to the OP's bumper no buffing will fix that.

akh10
06-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Ok...so interesting update. My car has been sitting in the sun for a few hours, and magically the etching has disappeared?! My car has been ceramic coated, so maybe that's it. It's a miracle!

PaulMys
06-15-2018, 07:06 PM
If you're not experienced, then wait to hear what the pro thinks, like you mentioned.

Good luck. I hope it can be corrected.

Rsurfer
06-15-2018, 07:27 PM
Ok...so interesting update. My car has been sitting in the sun for a few hours, and magically the etching has disappeared?! My car has been ceramic coated, so maybe that's it. It's a miracle!

What miracle ceramic coating did you use?

Mike Phillips
06-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Not sure how this happened...but I found an etch mark that I can't seem to remove.

After going through the forum archives, I've read about type 1 and type 2 etching. I think it's type 1, can anyone confirm?

Is this fixable to an extent where it's not too noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

Ok...so interesting update.

My car has been sitting in the sun for a few hours, and magically the etching has disappeared?!

My car has been ceramic coated, so maybe that's it.

It's a miracle!

Here's your picture....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/etchingtype2.jpg

And from the picture it actually looks like the paint is deformed.

But if the etching or whatever the heck it was is gone now then it is a MIRACLE!

Lucky you!

:)

Mike Phillips
06-18-2018, 06:54 AM
And for those reading this into the future.... here's my article on bird dropping etchings from 2010

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24924-two-types-bird-dropping-etchings.html)

And here's my article on Type I, II and II water spots from 2011

3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/33499-3-types-water-spots-type-i-type-ii-type-iii.html)

:)

AZpolisher15
06-19-2018, 12:51 AM
I wonder if it was bumped and it stretched the paint and plastic. And after sitting in the sun it expanded just enough to stretch the deformed paint to smooth. See if it reappears when cold.