PDA

View Full Version : Which rotary polisher should I buy?

Mike Phillips
06-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Which rotary polisher should I buy?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hello Mike,

How do you do!

I admire what you're doing, I'm a fan! You have a nice garage! A lot of beautiful material.

I would like to ask you advice to buy a rotary polisher.

Do you recommend Flex or Makita?

I already own:
Rupes LHR 15 Mark 2,
Rupes Nano IBrid

I want a good rotary with compatible pads, for beautiful work, and easy!

Thanks, Mike!��

Many regards

-Manu

Great questions Manu,

I normally don't pit one polisher against the other as I believe that if you spend enough time BEHIND the polisher you can make any polisher as I like to say,

Dance on paint

That said, I grew up on an old Black & Decker 2-speed rotary and the first rotary I purchased was a Makita variable speed rotary polisher. This was one of the first "variable" speed polishers introduced to the body shop and detailing world and I still have it to this day.

So my background is Makita, used it for about 20 years before the gears wore out. After that I used DeWALT for about 7 years and the DeWALT rotary buffer is a stout machine.

But when it comes down to running a rotary buffer for hours, which is what I would normally do whether cutting, polishing or jewelling, I choose the FLEX PE14. RUPES has introduced a rotary but I've only used it one time on one car and to date, it's not available so I can't really make a fair comparison or judgment on a tool I've only used once.

I have hundreds of hours logged behind the FLEX PE14 and the reason I like it are,

Quiet
Powerful
Lightweight
Compact in size
Quality

Here's two articles I've written, I'd recommend clicking the links and reading through them...

Here's the first one...

Review: FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/117811-review-flex-pe14-rotary-polisher-mike-phillips.html)

My favorite rotary buffer or rotary polisher, whatever you like to use....

The FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3634/FLEX_PE14_0001.JPG

Here's the second article...

The Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher - The rotary I grab first... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/75923-flex-pe14-rotary-polisher-rotary-i-grab-first.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2264/Flex_PE14_Rotary_Polisher_002.jpg

Note the production number is #00002 - Thank you to Bob Eichelberg for the #2 production unit.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2264/Flex_PE14_Rotary_Polisher_003.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
06-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Continued...

If you're reading this and thinking about sending me a question and you're not a member of this forum.

Or

You've read an answer to your question that you sent me via e-mail or some over method and you're not a member of this forum.

Either/or - take a few moments to join this forum and post your questions here and/or reply to the answers and help myself and others have shared in the thread that pertains to you.

It's free.

It's easy (if you can read and type)

It's the most powerful tool in your detailing arsenal --> this forum

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline Detailing Discussion Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/register.php)

Thank you!

:xyxthumbs: :props: :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
06-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Done.

Manu,

Just sent you the link via your e-mail to my reply.

Feel free to join the forum and interact with me here, I much prefer to answer questions on the forum where hundreds and thousands and even tens of thousands of eyes can see the information versus reply to an e-mail where only one set of eye balls will ever see the info.

:)

Gunny Fitz
06-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Cant say I know a thing about those you listed but I DO KNOW that the Porter Cable 7424xp is absolutely foolproof and produces the most remarkable results I've ever seen! As an amateur detailer I've been using it for years and never had ANY accidental paint damage on any vehicle! With quality products you can change the finish of a car without difficulty at all. Matter of fact, my box full of new pads from AutoGeek just arrived today!!

Gunny Fitz
06-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Wow! "The" Mike Phillip's just "liked" my post? I'm completely floored! There are so many questions I'd like to ask Mike but never thought HE would ever respond personally.
If only I could tell you my story Mike!! :)

minirips2
06-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Cant say I know a thing about those you listed but I DO KNOW that the Porter Cable 7424xp is absolutely foolproof and produces the most remarkable results I've ever seen! As an amateur detailer I've been using it for years and never had ANY accidental paint damage on any vehicle! With quality products you can change the finish of a car without difficulty at all. Matter of fact, my box full of new pads from AutoGeek just arrived today!!

Manu already has a Rupes LHR15, so the PC, while it is a solid unit, would be redundant. He also has a Nano, so he's pretty much set, and seems to want to up his correction game, or work faster. I totally get that. I'm in line for the Rupes rotary when it comes, and I'm really chomping at the bit! I was considering the Flex PE-14, but the slower starting speed and progressive trigger swayed me to the Rupes. I also really like the smoothness and ergos of my Rupes Mille, and the Rupes rotary should feel right at home in my hands. You can't go wrong either way, IMO. They are both very high quality units. Ferrari or Porsche, your choice!