PDA

View Full Version : Waxes/Sealants with no petroleum distillates

JohnnyDee
06-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Mike,
I have Xpel film on my car so I need to stay away from anything that has petroleum distillates in it. It's hard to find something online as not everything lists it's ingredients. I bought a Pinnacle Souveran package from AG awhile back, before I had the Xpel installed. I see that it contains a refined mineral spirit so I haven't been using it. What other waxes or sealants would you recommend to use on a shark gray car that is partially covered with Xpel film? Thank You, JD

DBAILEY
06-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Maybe some fruity luxury wax like Lusso. I think they claim they use fruit and nut oils

Route246
06-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Search for SDS's. Safety Data Sheets.

http://smartcarcareproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/201-Optimum-Car-Wax.pdf

OCW doesn't have any that are of significance to list on their SDS.

Mike Phillips
06-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Mike,

I have Xpel film on my car so I need to stay away from anything that has petroleum distillates in it. It's hard to find something online as not everything lists it's ingredients.

I bought a Pinnacle Souveran package from AG awhile back, before I had the Xpel installed. I see that it contains a refined mineral spirit so I haven't been using it. What other waxes or sealants would you recommend to use on a shark gray car that is partially covered with Xpel film?

Thank You,

JD

There are thousands of versions of petroleum distillates. I 100% understand how it's easy to fear any of them but it's completely unwarranted. Companies that warn people about them simply don't have the resources to monitor EVERY product on planet earth so they hedge their bets on the side of safety and put out a blanket statement like the one you shared.

I've been answering/typing about this for years and never proven wrong.

How many years?

Hang on....

:)

Mike Phillips
06-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Here you go....

From March, 30th 2007 - about 11 years ago...

Wax and Petroleum Distillates and long term paint removal.. (https://tinyurl.com/ybvfmuzk)

And a re-write of my answer in that thread turning it into an article on AGO back in 2012

Petroleum Distillates or Solvents (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/57173-petroleum-distillates-solvents.html)

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2chapstick.jpg

Kind of the point being if Chap Stick with 44% petrolatums plus a Isopropyl, (a solvent some guys use to chemically strip paint, and some other ingredients are SAFE enough to put on you LIPS then they're probably not going to hurt plastic or paint.

The bigger picture is just because a product says it contains petroleum distillates no one should have a knee-jerk reaction where their brain tells them it automatically means bad mojo.

Trust me.... the petroleum distillates used in Pinnacle Souveran are completely refined to remove any of the nasty V.O.C.s out of them BEFORE they are used to create the wax that they are completely safe.

There used to be a test called the Magic Marker Test. This was back in the days of "The Guru Report" "The Wax Test". Sorry to say I think I have lost my original copy. Anyway, what guys would do is take a magic marker, a Sharpie and draw a line on the top of their washer or dryer and then test a wax by rubbing the wax over the marker to see if it removed it.

The theory was that if the wax removed the marker the solvents or cleaners or even abrasives were to harsh to use on paint. Of course this isn't true but the last time I did this test with Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax, it did not remove the marker. I drew a line on a painted test panel, I think the wife would kill me if she found black marks on the washer or dryer. Kind of some crazy stuff AR type people did in the 2000s.

Mike Phillips
06-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Continued...

Here's a related article I wrote a few years ago...

The Role Silicone Plays in Car Care Products (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/44068-role-silicone-plays-car-care-products.html)

EddieK
06-14-2018, 04:06 PM
I have full front Suntek Ultra PPF on my car and have used WG DGPS and HD Speed without any issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

FUNX650
06-14-2018, 06:38 PM
I feel it’s playing-it-safe by only using
XPel’s and PF1’s PPF products.

No warranty issues. Ever. :dblthumb2:

Bob

MattPersman
06-15-2018, 05:19 AM
Hey bro the mckees fast wax has the qualities you are looking for. I believe optimum car wax does too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
06-15-2018, 06:42 AM
I feel it’s playing-it-safe by only using XPel’s and PF1’s PPF products.

No warranty issues. Ever. :dblthumb2:

Bob

And that is a great option.

If the manufacturer offers maintenance products, use them.

Mike Phillips
06-15-2018, 06:45 AM
I have full front Suntek Ultra PPF on my car and have used WG DGPS and HD Speed without any issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

Lately I've machine polished 3 clear bras - I have know idea what the brand for PPF is all I know is the plastic film was just as scoured and scratched as the paint. I machine polished with BLACKFIRE One Step and foam polishing and foam finishing pads and obtained around 90% correction.

I don't even know or even care if there's any PDs in the product because after I use it I wipe it off, it's not like it's dwelling on the surface for days on end.

And BIG PICTURE is the cars and by cars I mean both the paint and the clear bras NOW LOOK GOOD because before they looked like crap.

Everyone can find their own way and of course, it's great to ask questions before making a decision.