PDA

View Full Version : Interior only detail?

DMW
06-13-2018, 01:24 PM
I just turned down my first detailing job. A lady just contacted me asking to do her 2012 Honda Odyssey that hasn't been detailed in 1.5 years. She has 3 kids and wants just the interior done. I was honest with her and said that I've had bad experiences with jobs like these in the past and that I'm not interested.

Does anyone else hate jobs like this?

atgonzales
06-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Amen, brother

Mike@ShineStruck
06-13-2018, 04:31 PM
I've been passing on some interior jobs myself..just not enjoyable.
Good way to help the other detailers around you by throwing them a bone.

2wookies
06-13-2018, 04:44 PM
I’ve turned down plenty of mini van interior jobs. Just sounds like a nightmare.

PaulMys
06-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Interior is the worst part of detailing in my opinion, and I'm just a hobbyist.

I can't wait to bust out my polisher, pads, and products, but I almost have to force myself to do my interior.

I can see why you pros turn those jobs down.

sudsmobile
06-13-2018, 05:51 PM
Pros don't turn those jobs down.

DMW
06-13-2018, 05:54 PM
It's been a weird day. I just had another person call me out of the blue looking for a detail on her black Cadillac SRX. I gave her my standard $150 rate for a vehicle that size, which is a basic wash, clay, sealant, and interior detail. I do a lot of these and it's an easy 4-5 hr job for me. She said it's too much but does it include removing the swirls. I told her to double the price if she wants paint correction. That was the end of that conversation.

PaulMys
06-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Pros don't turn those jobs down.

I'll rephrase then: "I can see why a lot guys turn those jobs down"........

Better?

DMW
06-13-2018, 06:09 PM
The "pros" can have it. I don't like cleaning up after other people's kids.

sudsmobile
06-13-2018, 06:25 PM
I'll rephrase then: "I can see why a lot guys turn those jobs down"........

Better?

Sure, but don't change it on my account. I can see why a lot of guys turn those job down too. But, IMO, if you just turn down those jobs out of hand, you're not a pro. Now, if you go, look at it, quote them $300 and they don't want to do it, hey you made an effort and you couldn't reach an agreement. But to simply turn it town because it's a minivan and you don't like cleaning up after somebody's kids, you're not a pro.

Mad Wax
06-13-2018, 07:50 PM
I've got 2 mini vans this week. One tomorrow, one Saturday...and I tell you, I'm not looking forward to it. They are by far my least favorite things to do. I don't blame you at all for passing it up, all of those seats, cup holders, compartments, door panels...all filled with melted candy, gunk, crap!

TTQ B4U
06-13-2018, 09:01 PM
I'm selective on what jobs I take and have no problem with it. Interiors that aren't nasty is one thing but if it's really really bad, I'll pass. I don't "need" to take every job and staying with what's best for you doesn't make you less of a pro. Actually knowing when to say no is key in just about any job. Yes, service providers do fire customers and turn down deals.

Interiors to me are more for cooler weather as I work out of my garage. I do have a really nice portable AC Unit I'm looking to have installed or perhaps may even get a wall mounted one at some point but I'm not sure.

Avgguy
06-13-2018, 11:30 PM
Did 2 interior onlies 2 weeks ago.... a minvan and a Corolla... $120 total. I earned every penny and she was astounded. The people at coffee shop she owns were amazed. picked up more details thru this... but I can understand quoting a high $. THAT was work.