PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ Interior Protectant

Pages : [1] 2

MissV8der
06-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Ok, so I'm in need of some suggestions on a good interior protectant for my car. I'm currently using a Vinyl, Rubber and Plastic Protectant that gives a satin shine; it states that it's waterproof, however, I'm not sure that's true.

Here's a picture of what it looks like once the protectant is applied, it has a beautiful satin shine to it...

This is my only real area of problem since it is my cup holder area, but once a drop of water or condensation from a cup is dropped or rubbed on it, it looks like this:
(click on the picture to blow them up to see the spots)

Once I go back over it with the dressing, it goes back to looking like the first picture, however, I would like to not have to use a dressing every time after I have any kind of drink with condensation in my car...:nomore:

I appreciate any input and or suggestions with my ..... ordeal!

damonb10
06-12-2018, 12:34 PM
That looks a bit too shiny to me to call satin. What product are you using?

I typically use 303 protectant on my interior vinyl, rubber, plastic, and coated leather and it leaves more of a matte finish with a nice darkening effect and haven't noticed any reactions with water like you are experiencing.

303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303 (https://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html)

LSNAutoDetailing
06-12-2018, 12:40 PM
It almost appears that the pigment in the plastics are starting to fade. You could give this a shot: SONAX Plastic Care (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-plastic-care.html)
Typically I'll clean with Pinnacle Vinyl Leather cleaner, followed by Pinnacle Vinyl Rubber protectant.

But after reading the Sonax write-up, I'd be inclined to give that a shot for your console.

PA DETAILER
06-12-2018, 01:14 PM
McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle?s interior. In addition to protectants, McKee's 37 Interior Surface (https://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html)

Has served me well for years. My 6 year old interior plastics still look new. And this also has a light cleaner it. I really see no need to try anything else.

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant penetrates the surface to create an invisible shield that repels WATER and dirt so interior surfaces require less cleaning. In the long run, your vehicle’s seats, door panels, and dashboard will resist aging.

MissV8der
06-12-2018, 01:14 PM
That looks a bit too shiny to me to call satin. What product are you using?

I typically use 303 protectant on my interior vinyl, rubber, plastic, and coated leather and it leaves more of a matte finish with a nice darkening effect and haven't noticed any reactions with water like you are experiencing.

303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303 (https://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html)

I always thought it was a bit on the shinier side to be considered satin as well, and I just read the description of the product and I don't see "Satin" anywhere, so I suppose that was my own addition to the product...oops. It's a Chemical Guys Product called "VRP" and honestly it used to do great for a lot of different stuff, however, I'm not sure if it's a different formula or what, but lately it's done horrible on my interior with streaking and those spots. I will check that out, I have heard positive things about 303 products as well. I'm interested in something that has a darkening effect and that has the UV protection, so Thank you! :)

It almost appears that the pigment in the plastics are starting to fade. You could give this a shot: SONAX Plastic Care (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-plastic-care.html)
Typically I'll clean with Pinnacle Vinyl Leather cleaner, followed by Pinnacle Vinyl Rubber protectant.

But after reading the Sonax write-up, I'd be inclined to give that a shot for your console.

I thought so too, however, when I use a cleaner type of product on that whole area, it all turns that color. So that led me to believe that those spots are what "protective" product I have on the plastics sort-of washing off. I'm not sure to be honest but it's getting very irritating.
Thank you for your suggestion, I'll definitely do some research on the Sonax :)

showbbq
06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Another vote for 303. Or you could try some semi permanent trim coatings

cleanmycorolla
06-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Ultima Interior Guard is pretty awesome too. Nice clean finish, great at repelling water and dust and finger smudges go away with a quick damp microfiber wipe. It's great stuff. Been using it for years.

Desertnate
06-12-2018, 04:19 PM
McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle?s interior. In addition to protectants, McKee's 37 Interior Surface (https://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html)

Has served me well for years. My 6 year old interior plastics still look new. And this also has a light cleaner it. I really see no need to try anything else.

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant penetrates the surface to create an invisible shield that repels WATER and dirt so interior surfaces require less cleaning. In the long run, your vehicle’s seats, door panels, and dashboard will resist aging.

This is my vote too. I got a sample a couple years ago and I'm hooked. The product has served me well on all my vehicles.

UncleDavy
06-12-2018, 04:20 PM
I am also a fan of 303 as it is a great water based product that does not attract dust. It also leaves a satin finish. I use it on interiors and engine bays. I also use it on steering wheels. It does not leave a slippery finish and it completes the interior.

1500canoe
06-12-2018, 05:01 PM
303 is great for interiors, just remember that it needs to be applied, and then buffed well with a dry microfiber to remove excess. It's not something that you should wipe on and leave, as this will cause streaking or issues if it gets wet. Applied correctly however, it's great.

PaulMys
06-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Another vote for 303.

I've tried others, but I like this the best.

I have also never had it streak on me while just applying with a MF cloth. Just my experience.

polishd
06-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Another vote for 303, sounds like an echo in here.

MissV8der
06-13-2018, 06:06 AM
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions! I'll be trying the 303 I do believe :)

dcjredline
06-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Meguiars #40. lol just to be different. You will be fine with 303! good luck

Finick
06-13-2018, 11:39 AM
For what it’s worth, I use VRP on my interior sometimes, but I dilute it 2:1 in a spray bottle. Really tones down the gloss and just leaves my black plastics more black.

I haven’t ever had it react that way when I get some moisture on it though, so I imagine the 303 will solve that issue for you.

Carpro PERL works really nicely on interiors as well.

Most of the time I just wipe everything down with an ONR dampened towel and skip dressing it (I’m very lazy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk