PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer-fresh paint

PeteT19640
06-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Hi i think i have made a big mistake
My car is 2004 Nissan Fuga 350GT basecoat clearcoat
I had some paint work done on some panels about 13 months ago
When i got it home after a couple of days, because it was getting stored for some time i tried 3M Clean & Shine to clean, this didn't work that great so reached for the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. I applied once over a year ago.
Have i done any damage, this car is not mobile currently, so dust has been sitting for along time, i posted a thread a few weeks ago about this. Please see link to this thread Clean car thst being sitting in garage for 13 months (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/119170-clean-car-thst-being-sitting-garage-13-months.html)
This car is awesome and hope i haven't done any damage.
Now i have more knowledge of this product and fresh paint, hope i haven't done any damage etc.

Thank you

TTQ B4U
06-12-2018, 06:56 AM
Wipe off the panel and check it for damage. Paint needs to out-gas in order to bond and harden correctly. If there's a haze to the clear coat like a foggy appearance, or of the paint is cracking or flaking in some way, then perhaps there was an impact. That said, I would say I'd be a bit more optimistic and things should be fine. Checking on it will be the only way to tell.

Calendyr
06-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Ok so many things here....

1. New paint is water based. If they used that, there is no cure period like solvent based paint. So you should be good.

2. Quick detailers have very little protective products in them. It's not like applying a coat of wax or sealant. So even if they did use solvant based paint, I doubt a quick detailer would be able to trap the gaz bubbles in the paint.

3. If there was damage, you would see it. It usually manifests itself with paint lifting off the panel and creating an air bubble underneath. If you don't see anything like that, no harm was done.

PeteT19640
06-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Thanks to both of you

I used it once

Only trouble is there is dust etc, please can you read my thread explains my situation with this car Clean car thst being sitting in garage for 13 months (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/119170-clean-car-thst-being-sitting-garage-13-months.html)

Even clear coat is water based, didn't know this thank you.

Just a thought how long would the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer last, car in garage for 13 months?
Would this benefit my situation.

Thank you

PeteT19640
06-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Hi just had a horrible thought I might have reached for the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Spray Wax, instead of the above Ultimate Quik Detailer, not sure.
If so I used it once as above post
Only trouble is there is dust etc., please can you read my thread explains my situation with this car Clean car thst being sitting in garage for 13 months (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/119170-clean-car-thst-being-sitting-garage-13-months.html)

Would this make things not so good?

Thanks

PeteT19640
06-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Hi just had a horrible thought I might have reached for the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Spray Wax, instead of the above Ultimate Quik Detailer, not sure.
If so I used it once as above post
Only trouble is there is dust etc., please can you read my thread explains my situation with this car Clean car thst being sitting in garage for 13 months (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/119170-clean-car-thst-being-sitting-garage-13-months.html)

Would this make things not so good?

Thanks

glen e
06-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Any paint, water based or not, needs to out-gas and harden for 30 days before sealing....ask your body shop.
Unless it was oven/light baked at the body shop, then you are good to go.

But any "quick" products are not gonna do any damage anyway…

PeteT19640
06-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Any paint, water based or not, needs to out-gas and harden for 30 days before sealing....ask your body shop.
Unless it was oven/light baked at the body shop, then you are good to go.

But any "quick" products are not gonna do any damage anyway…

Hi thank you
Not sure it was oven baked, going back 13 months. Not sure if body shop would remember.

So should be all good.

Thanks

The Guz
06-14-2018, 07:07 PM
If the paint has not fallen of the car yet then I think you are good and there is no reason to worry.