PDA

View Full Version : 303 Aerospace Protectant on car paints????

Pages : [1] 2

mrq0604
06-11-2018, 07:34 AM
I usually put 2 coats of Klasse sealant (might go back to using Zaino sealant as I think it gives more depth and wet look to my white paint instead of Klasse's glossy appearance) and 2 coats of Collinite 845.

I was told by a friend that he just applies 303 Aerospace Protectant (vinyl and rubber protectant) on car paint. I've personally seen his car, and the shine was undeniable... Or maybe my mind was playing tricks as he constantly argued 303 Protectant is better than any waxes...

Has anyone applied 303 Aerospace Protectant on car paints before? Can the protectant designed for rubber and vinyl be applied to car paints? Was the shine better than traditional sealant and wax? Would you recommend topping sealant and wax with 303 Aerospace Protectant?

Thanks in advance

DBAILEY
06-11-2018, 10:27 AM
I never tried, but I remember people doing this sometime between 2005-2010. 303 is for plastics as well as vinyl and rubber. The were spraying it on a black pad and then working it in at a slow speed with a DA. I guess the idea was that clear coat was similar to clear plastic in a way. The 303 would keep the clear coat 'fed' and replenish the UV blockers/absorbers. I think that people were kind of using it as a glazing step and then applying a wax on top.

mrq0604
06-11-2018, 10:31 AM
I never tried, but I remember people doing this sometime between 2005-2010. 303 is for plastics as well as vinyl and rubber. The were spraying it on a black pad and then working it in at a slow speed with a DA. I guess the idea was that clear coat was similar to clear plastic in a way. The 303 would keep the clear coat 'fed' and replenish the UV blockers/absorbers. I think that people were kind of using it as a glazing step and then applying a wax on top.

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

Shouldn't glaze be applied on top of everything? I thought wax wouldn't adhere to glaze... Speaking of glaze, I already have Griot's Garage glaze. Should I use that instead?

Ebg18t
06-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Zanio, Klasse, klasse twins, glaze everything. It’s like a late 90’s flashback.

I tried 303 on paint 15+ years ago when the bottle said you could use on pretty much anything. It ended with a streaky mess that looked even worse after the first rain.

OP- you might find some of the newer products in the market providing more protection, great shine & super easy use compared to some of the classic products we used to use.

Collinite 845 you mentioned is still a great classic product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mrq0604
06-11-2018, 10:53 AM

I tried 303 on paint 15+ years ago when the bottle said you could use on pretty much anything. It ended with a streaky mess that looked even worse after the first rain.

OP- you might find some of the newer products in the market providing more protection, great shine & super easy use compared to some of the classic products we used to use.

Hello. Thanks for your reply.

As for newer products that are easier to use, could you list some examples? I'm not a pro detailer, I would appreciate some product recommendations.

Also, I'm stuck with Klasse and Collinite for the next 2 years or so... I still have a ton of these left in the bottles. As for 303 Protectant, I already have it anyway, so I was just wondering whether it could be safely applied to the exterior, especially since my friend claimed it is better.

glen e
06-11-2018, 11:19 AM
It is not better. I've tried it, doesn't last long on paint, read about McKees 10 minute paint sealant if you want one of the new technologies that is much easier than what you're using now. Also carpro reload, blackfire si02 spray or Ultima paint guard plus.

BadgerRivFan
06-11-2018, 02:51 PM
As for newer products that are easier to use, could you list some examples? I'm not a pro detailer, I would appreciate some product recommendations.

For a white car, you can not go wrong with: Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (https://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)

Inexpensive, durable, easy to apply, terrific self cleaning ability, and makes white paint "pop" better than Zaino (imho - and I used Zaino religiously for over 10 years!). No need to top it with anything else.

Or, if you are willing to shell out the big bucks look at Polish Angel Cosmic V2. You will be blown away by the looks. Polish Angel Cosmic Kit V2 (https://www.autogeek.net/polish-angel-cosmic-kit-v2.html)

Route246
06-11-2018, 03:03 PM

Collinite 845 you mentioned is still a great classic product.

What about Blue Coral and Turtle Wax? No love for those?

mrq0604
06-11-2018, 03:46 PM
For a white car, you can not go wrong with: Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (https://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)

Inexpensive, durable, easy to apply, terrific self cleaning ability, and makes white paint "pop" better than Zaino (imho - and I used Zaino religiously for over 10 years!). No need to top it with anything else.

Or, if you are willing to shell out the big bucks look at Polish Angel Cosmic V2. You will be blown away by the looks. Polish Angel Cosmic Kit V2 (https://www.autogeek.net/polish-angel-cosmic-kit-v2.html)

So are Finish Kare and Polish Angel sealants? I still want to top it off with Collinite 845 since I have it anyways.

RSAUTOSPA
06-11-2018, 04:57 PM
I don't think 303 is strong enough paint protection, we use Q2M WETCOAT from Gyeon.

PaulMys
06-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Judging by the way 303 streaks off of trim after the first rain (even days after applying), I wouldn't use it on my paint.

mrq0604
06-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Judging by the way 303 streaks off of trim after the first rain (even days after applying), I wouldn't use it on my paint.

Dang.. I applied 303 on my dash 8 months ago, and it is still there! And I clean my interior weekly, and oftentimes I wipe the interior with Lysol disinfectant wipes! It survived being subjected to Lysol and damp cloth for 8 months, but it lasts only several days outside? Just how harsh is outside, and what kind of damage is it doing to my (youthful) skin and lungs?!?! Lol

PaulMys
06-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Dang.. I applied 303 on my dash 8 months ago, and it is still there! And I clean my interior weekly, and oftentimes I wipe the interior with Lysol disinfectant wipes! It survived being subjected to Lysol and damp cloth for 8 months, but it lasts only several days outside? Just how harsh is outside, and what kind of damage is it doing to my (youthful) skin and lungs?!?! Lol

Nah, 303 works great on interior surfaces.

It just washes away on the exterior in rain. I could see it streaking down the sides of my truck bed. I only use McKee's trim restore now. Try it, and compare the vast differences. :props:

Ebg18t
06-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Hello. Thanks for your reply.

Also, I'm stuck with Klasse and Collinite for the next 2 years or so... I still have a ton of these left in the bottles. As for 303 Protectant, I already have it anyway, so I was just wondering whether it could be safely applied to the exterior, especially since my friend claimed it is better.

Let’s revisit in 2yrs once you’ve used up your stash. Lol. It seems like things are always changing. The collinite is a great product. If you like it keep using it.

There are a ton of wipe-on-walk-away sealants now that offer great protection for 10 minutes of application time.

McKee's 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant (https://www.autogeek.net/mckees37-10-minute-paint-sealant.html)
Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! (https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-seal.html)

Tad more work then above, but Awesome:
Sonax Polymer Net Shield, sonax polymer netshield, sonax profiline polymer netshield (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-polymer-net-shield.html)

There there are spray on option that you use after you rinse the car. Spray, rinse, dry. Super easy.

McKee's 37 Hydro Blue Sio2 Coating (https://www.autogeek.net/mckees-hydro-blue-coating.html)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BadgerRivFan
06-11-2018, 07:59 PM
So are Finish Kare and Polish Angel sealants? I still want to top it off with Collinite 845 since I have it anyways.

FK1000P is a synthetic paste sealant. Cosmic V2 is a ceramic coating, which applies very easily like a sealant and could really be considered a “super sealant.”

Neither should be topped with 845 as that would not give you any additional protection and would not improve the looks. It would (imho) be a waste to top either of these LSPs with a hybrid wax.

Collinite 845 is a very good hybrid wax, and if you want to use up your supply first just use it on it’s own as your sole LSP.

You asked specifically for product recommendations, and I noted that you are working with white paint. If that’s what you want I gave you two great choices from my own personal experience.

Forget about Zaino would be my other advice. Others may disagree, but part of the fun is discovering what YOU like on your own, so go ahead and experiment.