PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if I used enough Collinite 845?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kazper
06-11-2018, 07:26 AM
Morning all,
tried Collinite 845 for the first time this weekend. After reading several threads on AGN and a few other detail forums, I was deathly afraid of applying too much and not being able to take it off.

I know I started off using enough- about 5 or 6 pea/dime sized drops on my polishing pad. I figured this covered my entire hood and about 1/2 of the front (3rd gen prius). From there I applied about 2 drops for every 2 sections/panels. Because it goes on so thin, I didn't notice much hazing, even in the areas where I applied the most product.

Any recommendations on testing if it was enough? Considering going over it with a second coat just to be sure.

Setec Astronomy
06-11-2018, 07:44 AM
If you could see it you put enough on.

JDGolden
06-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you used the correct amount. I never notice much of a haze either. Enjoy the rain dance next time you drive in the rain!

Desertnate
06-11-2018, 07:57 AM
From the sounds of things you did OK. As was already noted, if you an see it, it was enough.

I apply it with my polisher, so as long as I can see a slight residue and the pad is applying an even, consistant ammount, I know I applied enough product. When I start seeing white marks, or more than a slight residue, I know I've gone too heavy and it's time to try and even it out.

This weekend I applied 845 for the first time in quite some time. I had to re-learn some of the tricks in the application and one of the important things I had forgotten was timely removal when the weather is hot. Dispite applying in my garage, temps were easily 90 degrees and the sealant dried pretty quickly. I waited 30-ish minutes before removal and should have only waited half that time. Removal was a touch difficult. Not hard, but more difficult than I wanted.

MarkD51
06-11-2018, 08:02 AM
I know especially on white paint it gets a little hard to see, even with good lighting.

I know well with 845 as case in point just a couple days ago I did Summit White 2013 Camaro ZL1 and I missed a couple very small golf ball sized spots which was caught by the owner as I applied.

I've never used a machine to apply 845. By hand I feel I have better control of laying it down precisely where I want it, and where I don't want it (trim) with a dampened foam applicator, and it applies so easily it doesn't take that long at all.

It's a combination of looking at low angles while applying, and as well taking a little bit of extra time and being methodical while applying, working on small areas, and working from one area to another.

Kazper
06-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Sounds like you used the correct amount. I never notice much of a haze either. Enjoy the rain dance next time you drive in the rain!

It was raining like crazy yesterday afternoon. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her to look at the rain rolling off the hood. She just doesn't appreciate the finer things in life!:cheers::cruisin:

Wknd Dtlr
06-11-2018, 08:12 AM
I had the same problem when I had my white Yukon. One tip I learned was when I would get to the point where I thought my applicator was out of 845 I would simply rub it on one of the windows where it shows up easily if you still have product on it. In my case, even when I thought my applicator was out of product I still had plenty left on it.

DBAILEY
06-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Just remind yourself that like only 2-4 microns of the wax/sealant actually remain on the paint after it is wiped off. That's crazy thin.

MarkD51
06-11-2018, 11:27 AM
I know this tip is now well known, and it's something I've always done with all Collinite Wax products for the last 25 years, whether Paste or Liquid, and that is to dampen an applicator, and squeeze out excess water prior to applying.

And re-prime with a bit of water as you go when needed.

I've always found that a Foam Applicator Pad eases the application of a very thin coat versus using a MF Applicator Pad.

Finick
06-11-2018, 01:23 PM
I know this tip is now well known, and it's something I've always done with all Collinite Wax products for the last 25 years, whether Paste or Liquid, and that is to dampen an applicator, and squeeze out excess water prior to applying.

And re-prime with a bit of water as you go when needed.

I've always found that a Foam Applicator Pad eases the application of a very thin coat versus using a MF Applicator Pad.

This has been something that’s really helped me in applying pretty much any LSP lately.

I spray my applicator with a few sprays of a QD and squeeze it to make sure the whole thing is damp.. really makes for a smoother application, even on products that are already easy to apply. Definitely let’s you stretch the product a lot more.

If I go in with a dry applicator, the very edges always seem really grabby. I’ve dropped an applicator or two trying to spread product too quickly, the edge grabs and it just shoots out of my hand [emoji19].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazper
06-11-2018, 01:34 PM
This has been something that’s really helped me in applying pretty much any LSP lately.

I spray my applicator with a few sprays of a QD and squeeze it to make sure the whole thing is damp.. really makes for a smoother application, even on products that are already easy to apply. Definitely let’s you stretch the product a lot more.

If I go in with a dry applicator, the very edges always seem really grabby. I’ve dropped an applicator or two trying to spread product too quickly, the edge grabs and it just shoots out of my hand [emoji19].

I tried this approach, but wasn't a fan. I did it using klasse AIO. Two or three sprays to start off my pad when starting. It seemed to make the klasse apply in an odd manner, in droplets. Seemed to go much smoother without me refreshing the pad with QD. Maybe I did something wrong?

Finick
06-11-2018, 03:03 PM
I tried this approach, but wasn't a fan. I did it using klasse AIO. Two or three sprays to start off my pad when starting. It seemed to make the klasse apply in an odd manner, in droplets. Seemed to go much smoother without me refreshing the pad with QD. Maybe I did something wrong?

I’d say if you get a better user experience without keeping the applicator damp, may as well keep doing it that way. I’d skip the QD spray if stuff applied like butter without it, for whatever reason near any applicator I try tends to feel pretty grabby.

For what it’s worth, I don’t spray a ton on. I get it on the surface and kind of work it into the foam and squeeze it to get it distributed throughout the applicator, so it’s not super damp, just -barely- damp.

Route246
06-11-2018, 03:36 PM
If you lay it on too thick and are having trouble getting it off then try hitting it with QD and start over if you feel you need to.

PaulMys
06-11-2018, 05:16 PM
After using 845 for the last few years, I don't know where this "Hard to remove" myth started.

I suppose if you spilled the entire bottle over your car and let it dry maybe.....

In another post a while back, I mentioned that It was getting dark on me once while trying to remove 845. In my haste, I completely forgot to remove it from my tailgate.

The next morning when I noticed it, I was like "Oh $hit......" It wasn't just hazy, it was mostly white.

Grabbed a MF, and to my surprise it wiped off effortlessly.

My point to the OP is: Don't sweat putting it on too thick. If you are following the directions and being aware of the word "thin", then you are already doing it right.

Finick
06-11-2018, 05:27 PM
After using 845 for the last few years, I don't know where this "Hard to remove" myth started.

I suppose if you spilled the entire bottle over your car and let it dry maybe.....

In another post a while back, I mentioned that It was getting dark on me once while trying to remove 845. In my haste, I completely forgot to remove it from my tailgate.

The next morning when I noticed it, I was like "Oh $hit......" It wasn't just hazy, it was mostly white.

Grabbed a MF, and to my surprise it wiped off effortlessly.

My point to the OP is: Don't sweat putting it on too thick. If you are following the directions and being aware of the word "thin", then you are already doing it right.

I’d have to agree with this. You’d have to cake the product on to make it difficult to remove. I applied m16 heavily a long time ago... you wanna talk about something hard to remove.

Ever since then I’ve been so concerned with ultra super duper thin applications, which has really just sent me down a rabbit hole of wondering if I’m using too much, sacrificing a smooth application (extra grabby applicator) in the name of the thinnest possible coat, and just not enjoying using most LSPs that I'd tried.

I applied 845 for the first time a few days ago, to my gfs car. A Toyota Matrix. I was so focused on thin coats I was gritting my teeth through my applicator grabbing at the paint constantly. Probably took me 30 minutes to go around the car, which is ridiculous.

I applied it to my car today, an Altima, and it took me 10 minutes tops to get around the car. I have a sprayer attached to my 845, and when the applicator started to get grabby, I’d just spray a panel and juice it up. Maybe 3 sprays for the entire car.

Wipe off on either car was not what I’d consider difficult at all.

Was it thin? I think it was. It certainly didn’t kill me wiping it off. Maybe I used slightly more product than I would have if I’d focused on a thin thin thin application.. but how much product would I have even saved? A quarter of an ounce? Doesn’t seem worth the hassle if it’s not giving me trouble.