PDA

View Full Version : Where does everybody stand on priming their pads?

Pages : [1] 2

sudsmobile
06-07-2018, 04:26 PM
And different types of pads? Microfiber, LC wool, regular foam? A watch a few internet videos and it seems that everybody has a different opinion. I'm curious as to what the general consensus is for different types of pads and/or compounds, polishes, waxes. Thanks in advance.

Route246
06-07-2018, 04:31 PM
I don't do it in most cases.

sudsmobile
06-07-2018, 04:32 PM
I don't do it in most cases.

That's Scott from Dallas PC. He says he only does it on microfiber.

UncleDavy
06-07-2018, 04:38 PM
I definitely prime my Lake Country CCS foam pads for swirl removers and polish. I like to fill in all of the pores of the foam with some product. Is it necessary? I'm not sure but I like the idea of not having dry foam rotate on the paint.

Chopper280
06-07-2018, 05:04 PM
I put a little product on foam pads. Don't like the idea of a completely dry foam pad.

PaulMys
06-07-2018, 05:13 PM
I just use a circle of product on foam to start, then 3-4 pea-sized dots after.

I find that the pads gum up a little quicker when primed. Just my opinion.......

BudgetPlan1
06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Used to when I started but no longer except for microfiber on occasion.

sudsmobile
06-07-2018, 05:35 PM
I just use a circle of product on foam to start, then 3-4 pea-sized dots after.

I find that the pads gum up a little quicker when primed. Just my opinion.......

That has been my finding as well. To a tee.

Finick
06-07-2018, 07:09 PM
I don’t personally prime my foam pads. I will prime my microfiber pads though.

I’ll keep a QD nearby to give the pad one spray before I apply product for the first time.

In the start it’s 4 pea sized drops, then 3 moving forward. I’ve never used a circle around the pad, but I suppose I could try that sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
06-07-2018, 07:17 PM
I put a little product on foam pads. Don't like the idea of a completely dry foam pad.

Yes, but the foam and product will quickly interact over the first section pass.

I'm just a DIY guy, but I found out very quickly that too much product = reduced cut, heat build up, and PITA cleaning.

rlmccarty2000
06-07-2018, 09:13 PM
I’m in the used to, but not anymore except for microfiber group.

dlc95
06-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Only for microfiber.

"Priming" the face of a foam pad for me only wastes product, and hastens saturation.

I usually start with four drops of product around the outside circumference of the pad, and reload with anywhere from one to three drops.

Of you look at how Rupes describes how to prime their pads, It's a similar approach to what I've done since day one with my PC. The dry foam eventually self primes during the initial set of section passes.

For the traditional orange and white foams, they seem to work better fully primed. I'm not a fan of those foams, so I don't often use them. The more open porous American foams, and closed cell European foams tend to work better with the dots.

Mike@ShineStruck
06-07-2018, 10:10 PM
I don't prime foam pads

Just 4- 5 dime drops initially, than 2-3 after on fresh spot

Priming just means you'll saturate pad quicker which results in heat which Accelerate pad wear and reduces cut..

sudsmobile
06-07-2018, 10:14 PM
OK, a consensus seems to have been reached. Thanks for all the input.

cleanmycorolla
06-08-2018, 09:37 AM
I don't prime pads often, maybe a spritz of QD but hardly. Maybe on the first application I'll do a circle than dime size drops thereafter.