PDA

View Full Version : Made a video showing CanCoat on my Infiniti

Pages : [1] 2

TTQ B4U
06-07-2018, 08:56 AM
In efforts to show some different products, I took some time over the past few weeks to strip the CarPro UK and GLISS products off my car and replace them with Gyeon's CanCoat. I'm going to continue some short term testing with it until I have time over the 4th of July weekend to strip my car and do it up with Syncro Like I did my wife's vehicle.

Here's a short video showing it's properties during some rain we had this week. I had to run some errands, so after returning I pulled out my camera, an umbrella and added a garden hose to the mix in order to really show some water sheeting in action.

Hope this helps some here if they are interested in how it performs. I'm now offering CanCoat as an option to the Basic Clean and Protect package I offer where I would normally just use a Cleaner Wax or AIO product to knock-down some of the swirls but really just to amp up gloss and add a season's worth of protection. Now instead, for a nominal fee, I'll just use a good polish followed up with CanCoat should my customers choose to step up a bit but not pay for an entry level correction.

Here my video starts off showing impressive contact angle and water beading characteristics. Then at :53 begins showing the hydrophobic property and water sheeting ability of CanCoat. Fast Forward to 2:30 to see more intensive water sheeting. 3:10 is me turning the show setting upside down to simulate a heavier rain coming down on the hood. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/xUyIp-4iNHo

Jeff at Gyeon
06-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Super cool!!!

BudgetPlan1
06-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Love videos like that...CanCoat is a wonderful product. Great for use exactly as you plan.

CONSUMPTION: 50ml/car
SIO2 PERCENTAGE: >10%
CONTACT ANGLE: 100'
PH TOLERANCE: 3-11
THICKNESS: 0,2 - 0,5qm
DURABILITY: >6months / 10K km

Although the claim SiO2 content as > 10%, I believe Jeff mentioned it was closer to 30% when we spoke last weekend. Whatever it is, the stuff is amazing.

BadgerRivFan
06-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Not to be critical, but you are routinely misspelling "Gyeon." It is not "Geyon." Just pointing it out in case you are using product names in any marketing that is seen by your customers...

TTQ B4U
06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Not to be critical, but you are routinely misspelling "Gyeon." It is not "Geyon." Just pointing it out in case you are using product names in any marketing that is seen by your customers...

Haha! Thanks for the observation and feedback!

oneheadlite
06-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Can Coat continues to be the top item on my Gotta Order Next list. Thanks for sharing!

SWETM
06-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Cool video and awesome water behavior!

Kamakaz1961
06-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Way cool video!

I now include CanCoat for my detailing. I am still a sealant and wax guy. HOWEVER, I use CanCoat on my front and rear bumpers and wheels. The new cars bumpers are made of plastic and IMO they are more porous than the metal on your vehicles. I have noticed the spots from rain and other elements even with a sealant/wax on the bumpers. I have to constantly polish them off. With CanCoat, there is no longer any issue. As for the wheels, IMO nothing beats a coating (in my case CanCoat). CanCoat simply works.

I am going to be detailing a 1963 Corvette this weekend and I will be prepping it for CanCoat. IMO CanCoat is the best compromise of the coatings around. It is very easy to apply and very easy to maintain and repair.

IMO coatings are the most durable products around. I still prefer Sealant/Wax as I love to detail my ride quite often. But I have included CanCoat in my arsenal too.

Thank you for your awesome video!

MMacOH
06-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Can you use CanCoat after an AIO like HD Speed or would you only apply a polish before using it?

Jeff at Gyeon
06-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Can you use CanCoat after an AIO like HD Speed or would you only apply a polish before using it?

You would want a pure bond between the paint and CanCoat, so all polishing oils and contaminant should be removed with a Q2M Prep stage. You would not want to use CanCoat over something like HD Speed as it is a true SiO2 based coating and the performance of CanCoat will exceed that of Speed.

Rsurfer
06-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Nice vid, but why did you strip the CQuartz and Gliss off?

TTQ B4U
06-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Nice vid, but why did you strip the CQuartz and Gliss off?

I like Cquartz. Very good coating with a good hydrophobic and self cleaning properties. Topped with Gliss, it's super slick and feels great. Not much gain from a contact angle standpoint and that's now necessarily how it's marketed, but for the money, IMO it should be more than what it is. Scale of 1-10 I give the combo an 8. That said, my wife's vehicle has Gyeon's Syncro Kit on it and on that same scale it's off the charts crazy hydrophobic and self cleaning. It very clearly offers way way better performance on hers vs mine at the time. It's not much more in terms of money when you price out Cquartz and Gliss (granted I always buy 50ml or larger sizes) where I can though. Takes a bit more time but it is worth it on both accounts. I give Syncro which is 2-3 layers of Mohs and 1 layer of Skin a 10/10.

So I stripped the CarPro products as I can see how they perform and know that deep down I'm not happy enough to keep it anymore. I intended to apply Syncro but ran into a time constraint and lucked out as I changed up my product offering and have eliminated any waxes and sealants and instead am adding Gyeon's CanCoat. I did so based on reviews but needed to test it out and thus I re-did my car with CanCoat except for the front and rear clips so I had a comparison area. Can coat performance wise beats Cquartz and Gliss combined. The main downside I see to it is longevity as it's rated at 6 months. Looks wise, it's nearly the same. Car still has a candy gloss and looks amazing. I'm actually torn and am half way inclined to just repolish mine with Gyeon's Primer to fully strip the car, amp up the gloss and just run CanCoat instead and when / where needed, add their Booster down the road, etc.

My plan however is for the July 4th holiday and time off work that I'll be doing my with Syncro then. It's very good and I just gotta have it on my car too :) Perhaps a week early if I keep a slot open on my schedule.

BudgetPlan1
06-11-2018, 06:42 PM
and when / where needed, add their Booster down the road, etc.

I believe Booster is a reactive topcoat, interacting/integrating with the base coating, thus the need to apply relatively soon after the base coating (before base coating cures fully)

I think that's how Gyeon explained it anyway.

Jeff at Gyeon
06-11-2018, 07:19 PM
I believe Booster is a reactive topcoat, interacting/integrating with the base coating, thus the need to apply relatively soon after the base coating (before base coating cures fully)

I think that's how Gyeon explained it anyway.

Correct, Booster is a Fluorine based top coat that is more of a chemical reaction with the underlying coating (any high quality coating) to increase surface tension and increase water contact angle. It is best when used before the underlying coating is fully cured. It can be applied down the road but you won't see a ton of durability.

The Guz
06-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Great video. CanCoat has some impressive and aggressive water behavior. Better than some longer lasting coatings.

Love videos like that...CanCoat is a wonderful product. Great for use exactly as you plan.

CONSUMPTION: 50ml/car
SIO2 PERCENTAGE: >10%
CONTACT ANGLE: 100'
PH TOLERANCE: 3-11
THICKNESS: 0,2 - 0,5qm
DURABILITY: >6months / 10K km

Although the claim SiO2 content as > 10%, I believe Jeff mentioned it was closer to 30% when we spoke last weekend. Whatever it is, the stuff is amazing.

30% SiO2 is a good amount. If that is the case then it is indeed worth the cost just based on the performance I have experienced with it. Either way it is a great product.

So I stripped the CarPro products as I can see how they perform and know that deep down I'm not happy enough to keep it anymore. I intended to apply Syncro but ran into a time constraint and lucked out as I changed up my product offering and have eliminated any waxes and sealants and instead am adding Gyeon's CanCoat. I did so based on reviews but needed to test it out and thus I re-did my car with CanCoat except for the front and rear clips so I had a comparison area. Can coat performance wise beats Cquartz and Gliss combined. The main downside I see to it is longevity as it's rated at 6 months. Looks wise, it's nearly the same. Car still has a candy gloss and looks amazing. I'm actually torn and am half way inclined to just repolish mine with Gyeon's Primer to fully strip the car, amp up the gloss and just run CanCoat instead and when / where needed, add their Booster down the road, etc.

My plan however is for the July 4th holiday and time off work that I'll be doing my with Syncro then. It's very good and I just gotta have it on my car too :) Perhaps a week early if I keep a slot open on my schedule.

CanCoat will exceed your expectations. It has exceeded mine in using it in conjunction with Gyeon Primer Polish. It has exceeded the claimed 6 month durability for me. Sure I have used Cure on it here and there but in the last couple months I have not used anything. At 10 months the sides of the vehicle it is on is still doing well. The flatter surfaces have started to sheet more than have that aggressive water beading it once had. If I hit it with Cure I could easily limp along for a full year and I may do just that. But I think it is time to either reapply or try another coating that I have in my possession.

Based on what Jeff has mentioned and my personal recommendation, would be to stick with Cure every now and then and save Booster for a base layer coating like Mohs or Pure.