PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rossu
06-07-2018, 05:24 AM
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, so hopefully my question is in the right place.

So, getting a little frustrated here. I just finished work on a black metallic VW Passat. Everything looked fine after compounding/polishing. But after the final wipedown, i noticed marring/holograms under lights/sun. They got slightly better after applying sealant, but are still there. I just don't know what the heck i'm.doing wrong. Have had this happen on two black cars in a row.

Just to clarify, i'll write up the steps of my work:

The car was washed properly.
Bug and Tar remover used.
No claying as the paint was smooth to the touch.
Compunding using random orbital, rupes green foam pad and 3M fast cut plus.
Polished using rupes yellow fine foam pad and 3M fine compund.
After correcting/polishing car was washed again.
Applied Meguiars M21 with random.orbital and ultra fine pad.
Final wipedown using quick detailer.

Now keep in mind, the paint was horrible at the beginning. And the goal was to make it better, not perfect so some swirls and deeper scratches remain. But the marring/holograms should NOT be there. And it seems like every time i wipe over the marring/holograms, it shifts and changes location/direction.

All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

fightnews
06-07-2018, 07:34 AM
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, so hopefully my question is in the right place.

So, getting a little frustrated here. I just finished work on a black metallic VW Passat. Everything looked fine after compounding/polishing. But after the final wipedown, i noticed marring/holograms under lights/sun. They got slightly better after applying sealant, but are still there. I just don't know what the heck i'm.doing wrong. Have had this happen on two black cars in a row.

Just to clarify, i'll write up the steps of my work:

The car was washed properly.
Bug and Tar remover used.
No claying as the paint was smooth to the touch.
Compunding using random orbital, rupes green foam pad and 3M fast cut plus.
Polished using rupes yellow fine foam pad and 3M fine compund.
After correcting/polishing car was washed again.
Applied Meguiars M21 with random.orbital and ultra fine pad.
Final wipedown using quick detailer.

Now keep in mind, the paint was horrible at the beginning. And the goal was to make it better, not perfect so some swirls and deeper scratches remain. But the marring/holograms should NOT be there. And it seems like every time i wipe over the marring/holograms, it shifts and changes location/direction.

All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That sounds like to much product. Either to much wax or not removing all the polish. I would compound then wash then polish if you must wash because of compound dust.

SWETM
06-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Could be that the car soap and m21 not working together. Which car soap do you use? Or as fightnews wrote to much product used or left behind.

You could do a test spot after you first wash a door or something and spray some tarminator on it. And see if you get the oily haze off. You could use a ipa wipe down instead of the tarminator. Use a quality mf towel that absorb the desolved polishing oils or the left overs from the protection.

Rossu
06-07-2018, 09:23 AM
That sounds like to much product. Either to much wax or not removing all the polish. I would compound then wash then polish if you must wash because of compound dust.

I tested on a deep purple metallic today. Used professional grade silicone remover after polishing and applied m21. Still had light marring on top of the front fender line that i tested on. Not terribly visible, especially for someome who doesn't know what to look for, but still means that i am doing something wrong. M21 applied very thinly with a DA. This crap is getting depressing.

FrankS
06-07-2018, 09:31 AM
...And it seems like every time i wipe over the marring/holograms, it shifts and changes location/direction.

If the marring/holograms are shifting and changing directions every time you wipe then it sounds like residue from Megs M21.

Rossu
06-07-2018, 09:46 AM
If the marring/holograms are shifting and changing directions every time you wipe then it sounds like residue from Megs M21.

Okay, but how does it not come off? It's depressing that after hours of work, i have some damn marring on the paint. And btw using quick wax made things a lot worse.

Maybe i should try applying the M21 by hand with an applicator pad instead?

FrankS
06-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Where are you located?

Maybe someone on the forum lives close by and can help you out.

Rossu
06-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Where are you located?

Maybe someone on the forum lives close by and can help you out.

Yeaaaah... highly doubt that. I live in Estonia. A place no one knows :D the country that's right next to Finland, and that gave the world Skype.
But any pointers would be appreciated. Maybe i use too much polish and the silicone remover just doesn't remove all of it. So it stays under the sealant? Some say to wash the car using dish soap after polishing, which i don't know if its a good idea. I could might as well try the dish soap thing. Also try to use less polish, IPA wipedowns and applying sealant even thinner and by hand. I mean there's got to be a way :D

briarpatch
06-07-2018, 10:16 AM
When you applied M21, was it in the shade or direct sunlight?

Rossu
06-07-2018, 10:23 AM
When you applied M21, was it in the shade or direct sunlight?

In the shade. The paint was cool to the touch.
Maybe a proper wash AFTER applying the sealant?
Maybe it comes down to the MF towels i use? Not terribly expensive or high quality.

986DTM
06-07-2018, 10:47 AM
I've had the same issue with certain waxes and polishes on dark cars. When it happens, spray wax (in my case D156) doesn't help the situation. It just seams to spread the smearing around. What I've found to work is doing a final wipe down with a detail spray. I usually use meguiars gold class qd if you want something with no wax in it or meguiars ultimate qd if you want something that has a bit of protection in it but any detail spray should do.

FrankS
06-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Yeaaaah... highly doubt that. I live in Estonia. A place no one knows :D the country that's right next to Finland, and that gave the world Skype.
But any pointers would be appreciated. Maybe i use too much polish and the silicone remover just doesn't remove all of it. So it stays under the sealant? Some say to wash the car using dish soap after polishing, which i don't know if its a good idea. I could might as well try the dish soap thing. Also try to use less polish, IPA wipedowns and applying sealant even thinner and by hand. I mean there's got to be a way :D

Actually I have heard of Estonia. There's a detailer friend who lives close to me and is also a member of this forum from Estonia (antti@561detailing). Didn't know they gave the world Skype.

What kind or brand of random orbital are you using?

Not familiar with 3M Fine Compound but that may be too aggressive for the polishing step and is leaving DA haze or micro-marring. You may need to go with a polish instead of a compound. The yellow Rupes pad seems to be okay for the polishing step or you may want to try the white Rupes pad with a polish.

It could also be soft paint and your MF towels are marring the paint.

Rossu
06-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Actually I have heard of Estonia. There's a detailer friend who lives close to me and is also a member of this forum from Estonia (antti@561detailing). Didn't know they gave the world Skype.

Not familiar with 3M Fine Compound but that may be too aggressive for the polishing step and is leaving DA haze or micro-marring. You may need to go with a polish instead of a compound. The yellow Rupes pad seems to be okay for the polishing step or you may want to try the white Rupes pad with a polish.

I'm using a generic harbor freight type random orbital with 9mm throw. The 3M Fine Compound is not the finest polish yes, being a compound actually. But would marring caused by the pad-polish combo or MF towels move around when i wipe over it?

Rossu
06-07-2018, 12:28 PM

Im using a cheap(er) kind of 9mm throw random orbital. But would marring caused by towels or pad shift around when i wipe over it?

Rossu
06-07-2018, 12:38 PM

Im using a 9mm throw random orbital. But would marring caused by towels or pads shift around when wiped?