PDA

View Full Version : Question on washing towels

buddy01
06-06-2018, 08:41 AM
This is not a “how do you wash your towels” post as you may think. I know they sell microfiber detergent or use non bleach non frangance type stuff. I also know to say was towels separately, drying with drying, wheels with wheels etc.

My question is for those with pets, or those who have the answer. So anyone who has a cat or dog knows that the clothes they wash will have hair from the animals on them, which means it can be in the washer/dryer. Now the dryers lint trap helps collect it so that’s good. But is there any steps one should do when about to wash towels if they fear hair will be in washer? Obviously not globs of hair but you get what I mean. Or is the little bit of hair that might end up on it ok as long as you pick it off or use some type of lint roller on towels?

FrankS
06-06-2018, 09:05 AM
You can wipe the washer and dryer with a damp general purpose MF towel before using.

sudsmobile
06-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Does anyone with dogs and cats really know that? I have dogs. I don't have hair in my washer or dryer.

TTQ B4U
06-06-2018, 10:35 AM
We have 3 dogs. Zero hair issues in laundry. Ymmv though.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

buddy01
06-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Simple yet I couldn’t think of the whole wipe with damp rag... wow can you say brain fart

My German Shep and cats make it known on our clothes we have animals so it’s in there lol.

Route246
06-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Much depends on your washer and dryer. Some makes and models do a lousy job of flushing out cruft, others do a good job. Everyone's mileage will vary on this one. We have a commercial front loader (Wascomat) and it seems to do pretty well with washing itself out during the rinse cycle. One thing I do before I run MF is the last load of clothes gets washed twice, the second full wash cycle with nothing in the dispensers. The wife doesn't seem to mind this as it gets the clothes that much cleaner but she mentions that it is a waste of water and electricity. With her it is not the cost, it is the environmental impact (rolling my eyes). In other words, the last load is like a super rinse cycle. I'd also hit the fabric softener contact points (drum, dispenser if you have one, etc.) with a blast of water, I rigged a hose next to the washer where I can run hot or cold or both into the washer to further rinse it out.

PaulMys
06-06-2018, 07:43 PM
As a person who owns 3 dogs, the fight against dog hair is constant.

However, I never have had any dog hair make it through the washer, whether it be our clothes, or my MF collection.