PDA

View Full Version : How to detail / wax a car outside in a dusty / windy environment?

xzar
06-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Hi guys,

I am planning to do a full detail on my car (clay, polish, sealant, wax), with my brand new porter cable 7424XP and the following productos: 3M claybar, Megs ScratchX, Wizards Paint Sealant and NXT wax.

I need an advice because my "garage" doesn't have a roof (my car is basically parked outside 24/7, but only It's exposed to the sun a few hours in the morning), and it's sunny, windy and dusty. I cant borrow someone's garage because here in my country it's NOT common that people has a closed garage like in the US. I don't want to ruin my car's paint if dust / debree lands on my car while I am polishing or even worse while I am waiting the sealant / wax to dry.

I'll appreciate your answers :thankyousign:

FUNX650
06-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Sounds like your detailing conditions
calls for something like one of those
car capsules/cocoons. An example:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DDA289F5-95F6-4AB1-9B7F-6A519FCD7553.jpeg

Bob

Kamakaz1961
06-02-2018, 12:30 PM
I would wait till dusk or very early morning as the sun is starting to rise. That may be the best 2 times available as the outside elements aren't too bad. Otherwise, I would not do anything at all. IMO doing a detail during the hours you are stating will make it worse.

So a NO GO for me.

GEM65
06-02-2018, 01:10 PM
l'm in the same situation and my tactic is to wash or polish whenever i have the chance:
- not windy day
- before sun rise or evening
- use a spray on wax/sealant as drying aid after weekly wash.

[emoji1]

UncleDavy
06-03-2018, 12:45 PM
We had a late spring here in Massachusetts and right now there is tree pollen falling and landing on the vehicles like snow. As soon as I clean the vehicle and put it in the garage, there is still a layer of green dust on the surface. Today is a windy day and there is no avoiding the green menace. For your conditions, I would say the best times to do your car are at dusk or at dawn. Waiting for a sealant to sure could be an issue. You need a good 10-12 hours without moisture so dusk could be a problem.

JDGolden
06-03-2018, 03:22 PM
I think this is a case where I'd only use things like McKees Hydro Blue or Gyeon Wet Coat.

rangerbay
06-03-2018, 06:29 PM
I think this is a case where I'd only use things like McKees Hydro Blue or Gyeon Wet Coat.

I agree. Just be real careful when drying. I would not rub the drying towel over the paint, but just dab it or lay the towel on the paint and let it soak up the excess water. A blower would be your best drying tool.

Bill

ShinyGC
06-03-2018, 08:15 PM
You could buy a 10x20 party tent with zip on side walls and make a of garage out of it. I may buy one myself... I can only imagine the looks id get from my neighbors having this setup on the driveway, lol ;)

Mike Phillips
06-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Here's what I have for you...

Big picture is when you can, shrink the size of your work area down.

Besides that, from 2010

Tips for working in warm/hot weather or direct sunlight (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26961-tips-working-warm-hot-weather-direct-sunlight.html)

:)

xzar
06-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Sounds like your detailing conditions
calls for something like one of those
car capsules/cocoons. An example:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DDA289F5-95F6-4AB1-9B7F-6A519FCD7553.jpeg

Bob

Hey Bob, that's a good idea, I'm definitely must need to get one of those (If I can) hehe :laughing:

I would wait till dusk or very early morning as the sun is starting to rise. That may be the best 2 times available as the outside elements aren't too bad. Otherwise, I would not do anything at all. IMO doing a detail during the hours you are stating will make it worse.

So a NO GO for me.

That's correct, BUT there is a problem: I've been observing that the wind comes in waves from 12pm until midnight, because I researched about the weather and scientists say that wind is generated when the ground rises at certain temperature and it is a way to release heat from the ground. Where I live we are at 90 degrees and at 12pm it's very hot. The only way I coud work in my car is from 6 am (no sun at all) untill 10 am, before the sun hits directly into my car. :doh:

You could buy a 10x20 party tent with zip on side walls and make a of garage out of it. I may buy one myself... I can only imagine the looks id get from my neighbors having this setup on the driveway, lol ;)

I've been thinking to buy one of those, but there is not enough room where I live, and my neighbours could get mad If I have this setup on the driveway :p

Here's what I have for you...

Big picture is when you can, shrink the size of your work area down.

Besides that, from 2010

Tips for working in warm/hot weather or direct sunlight (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26961-tips-working-warm-hot-weather-direct-sunlight.html)

:)

Hey Mike!, that's an excellent idea, it seems a lot of work but in my case It should work. I believe that I should work very fast in a morning before the weather gets worse.
:thankyousign: